ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 26th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #1
CodE-E
Ninja Newbie

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): EX250K9

Sport Exhausts and Catalytic Converters

Here's a newbie question: is the catalytic converter in the "slip on" part of the exhaust system, i.e. the big fat silver pipe which sticks out past the right foot peg? Or is it somewhere in the thinner pipe between the "slip on" and the engine?

I'm asking because I'm probably getting a sports exhaust. Long story short, I dropped my bike while it was stationary about a month ago, the exhaust got a tiiiiny dent, my insurance approved its replacement, but my Kawasaki dealer says the shipping time on the original 250R exhausts is enormously long - so long that he cannot make an estimate on when he could get one - and he ordered the HexaCone carbon model by Remus instead:

http://www.remus.at/php/index.php?cm...el=158621&ln=2

I haven't heard it or read anything about it yet. I think it's a brand new model. Normally I'd be really excited, but the Remus website says it doesn't have a catalytic converter - which would be kinda bad if the slip-on should have one. It also says it doesn't have an EEC approval, so I guess it's not street-legal. When my Kawasaki dealer told me that he could get me this exhaust instead of an original Kawasaki one, I asked him if it's street-legal, and he said it is. Now I'm a bit worried that he's maybe mistaken. I'll have to ask him again when I bring the bike in for the repairs.
CodE-E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #2
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

ask him is it street legal where you plan to right :P Im not sure how strict the law is on loudness or emissions in Austria but I checked the Remus site and it doesnt show any items for the 250r...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x58...250-remus_auto
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #3
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodE-E View Post
Here's a newbie question: is the catalytic converter in the "slip on" part of the exhaust system, i.e. the big fat silver pipe which sticks out past the right foot peg? Or is it somewhere in the thinner pipe between the "slip on" and the engine?
The thing there calling a cat, is in both parts.... Theres two of them
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #4
CodE-E
Ninja Newbie

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): EX250K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali619 View Post
ask him is it street legal where you plan to right :P Im not sure how strict the law is on loudness or emissions in Austria but I checked the Remus site and it doesnt show any items for the 250r...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x58...250-remus_auto
The Remus.at website kinda sucks. :/ I can't make get an URL to the actual page of the exhaust I wanted to show. It's listed under "Ninja ZX 250R".

And the video above is from some custom-welded exhaust which was designed for some other motorcycle.

As for laws on loudness, yeah, they're strict over here. Apparently the cops have decibel measuring systems out in the countryside to bust motorcyclists who drive with crazy exhausts. That's why I'm a bit concerned...
CodE-E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #5
CANTFUNCTION
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250(red)

Look to me that there are two different systems. One that has EEC approved and the other is a racing systems. I would guess you have to specify which one you want when ordering.
CANTFUNCTION is offline   Reply With Quote