ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 9th, 2015, 10:46 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Front and rear sprocket offset?

Hello. I have been through three chains in a hurry with this bike. Between 5k and 27k miles, averaging 7k miles per chain. Sprocket wear doesn't seem too excessive.

Just about to put on new chain and front/rear sprockets.

Each chain installation had me thinking "the front and rear sprockets look slightly out of alignment" after inspection.

Always assumed it was "normal" for such a mass production bike, just something to deal with and not fuss about.

Now I'm about to put on new chain and sprockets and upon closer inspection, the rear sprocket seems offset slightly front the bolt holes.

Closer closer inspection has me thinking that my last rear sprocket was flipped incorrectly in terms of vertical axis.

It would explain why I wore through chains in such a hurry -- each rapidly developing tight spots. I had to adjust one chain so loose to account for the tight spot that it actually popped off the rear sprocket in the middle of a turn.

Another chain actually snapped the masterlink (clip) and under full acceleration power -- was ejected from the rear of the bike leaving me with a 5 mile hike home.

Please take a look at your ninja 250r, and tell me which way your sprocket is oriented.
Attached Images
File Type: png rearsprocketorientation.png (13.0 KB, 0 views)

Old July 10th, 2015, 04:53 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
My factory rear sprocket is flat on both sides (pre-gen).
The newer the chain, the less tolerant to misalignment it is.

Consider as well that a little misalignment of the rear wheel has greater effect in the misalignment between both sprockets.

The frozen links had nothing to do with misalignment but with broken or leaky o-rings.
The internal lubricant of those links did leak out and water and mud did leak on.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 10th, 2015, 11:15 AM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
PreGen here as well, and flat too, I would think that a mis-alignment might happen if the chain is not adjusted properly, unevenly on both sides causing it to be slightly at an angle, and/or too tight.

Also how's your chain maintenance? How often do you lube?, clean? Etc? All these things have a lot to do with chain longevity.

Or something is out of alignment worn, bent, etc..... Has the bike even been in an accident? Down? Dropped? Etc??? Any modifications?? Non-OEM equipment??? Etc????

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 06:24 PM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
My new gen rear sprocket is flat on both sides.

You might have to check out the manufactures page for the one you got?

But with that being said since the OEM sprocket is flat on both sides, it makes sense that the flat side would go facing the tire and my instincts naturally say this as well.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2015, 07:27 PM   #5
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Maybe you check the adjustment of your rear wheel.
With my tool, measuring from the frame to the axle I can see that the marks on the swing arm are not exact aligned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RW_AdjustTool.JPG (199.2 KB, 5 views)
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2015, 05:10 AM   #6
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ZX-12R, 2009 ninja 345cc and plenty of others in the past...

I agree with subxero... I used to have an aftermarket rear sprocket that wasn' t flat on both sides and it had marks showing the flat side faces the tyre...

However, Roland has a point... sometimes the markings on the swing-arm are not precisely aligned on both sides... you should check somehow...

Old July 13th, 2015, 11:16 PM   #7
corksil

I adjusted things the best I could today and found that the front wheel was out of alignment with the bars. That didn't help. I loosened the triple clamps and held the front wheel between my knees and tweaked the bars in an attempt to line them up with the front wheel.

Very hard to get any sort of precise data on this. The best I could align the front tire to the bars was with a downward look along the nose of the bike and the center groove in the tire. Hard to tell if I got it right or not.

Then I pulled strings from the front tire to the rear tire and did the best I could to align the front and rear tire string gaps.

Seemed to be a compromise between either the sprockets being in alignment or the tires being in alignment.

If the sprockets line up, the rear tire was not true to the front tire. If the tires were true, the sprockets were not in alignment.

I replaced the rubber chain guide as well, and the line along the center which the chain was supposed to track along/be-in-alignment-with was off as well. The chain guard was pointing toward the center of the rear axle moreso than the chain.

Had a friend follow me around on a minibike at low speed and watch from behind, and then we switched bikes and did the experiment again.

We both concluded that the rear sprocket was pointing more toward the right hand grip.

I also noticed the paint worn off or rear sprocket on the out-side. In side of rear sprocket didn't have as much chain-wear-paint-stripping.

I try to be as precise as I can with this sort of thing -- and all these adjustment measurement strategies seem so crude. There is no satisfaction in getting it "right" -- because it's hard to tell what adjustments I am making and if they are indeed going in the right direction.

Old July 13th, 2015, 11:18 PM   #8
corksil

I also let the bike idle in 1st gear on jackstands.

Tire was 1/16" out of round, rim seemed true, rear sprocket seemed true, and front sprocket seemed true. It was hard to be sure about the front sprocket, as it is so small and hard to see any "out-of-round" as it rotates.

Old July 14th, 2015, 04:09 AM   #9
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ZX-12R, 2009 ninja 345cc and plenty of others in the past...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post

Tire was 1/16" out of round, rim seemed true, rear sprocket seemed true, and front sprocket seemed true. It was hard to be sure about the front sprocket, as it is so small and hard to see any "out-of-round" as it rotates.
I have seen some badly deformed tyres at the track mostly, especially some michelins but not only... if the tyre has been stacked under a pile or squeezed for too long in a warm environment and then put on the rim, some deforming remains... and that makes some wobbling possible and/or some movement of the whole wheel system as it rotates...it is rare but possible
have you tried taking the wheels apart from the bike and placing rims somewhere flat so you could check more thoroughly ?

if it is a sure thing the sprocket is misaligned, it must be a swing-arm marking defect which you will eventually find the right position to set the wheel for it to become aligned, otherwise, worst case scenario is either the swing-arm or the chassis are out of shape for some reason....

Old July 15th, 2015, 09:35 AM   #10
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post

I attended a tire seminar at Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid Ohio this past weekend and came away with some really good information.

One bit of info that may be applicable to you is that if you have an out of round tire ( 1/16" ) or one that won't balance when new you can contact the manufacturer and send the tire back and they will replace it. Now they may have you work through your dealer of after market supplier but they take this stuff seriously.

Sometimes tires are bad and when that happens they will do what they can to make it right. Just sayin'