ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 7th, 2011, 06:09 AM   #1
Lvr
ninjette.org member

Name: Levi

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Gas cap won't open

As the title of the thread says, I can;t get my gas cap to open. Basically it's as though I'm using the wrong key; the lock just won't turn. Unfortunately, it appears I can't just remove the whole assembly either because one of the screws holding it to the tank is under the lid. You can't access it unless you open the cap first.
Has anyone had this happen to them? I'm running low on fuel...
thanks
Lvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #2
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Have you tried some wd40 or graphite in the lock?
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #3
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Wow that sucks... What year we talking about here. Not sure it makes a difference other than maybe having some warranty left on it. If it is older, I would suggest something to help loosen it up. WD40 would prolly be fine.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 06:35 AM   #4
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

I get the same problem with my '94. I just use WD40 down the keyhole and then work it in it and eventually it opens up. Then once open you will see 2 little holes on the bottom of the cap. I then spray the WD40 in those holes as well and work it in as well.

What happens is that the fumes and also the liquid gas gets into the cap and causes corrosion to start. This then causes it to stick and not open.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 06:44 AM   #5
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
I get the same problem with my '94. I just use WD40 down the keyhole and then work it in it and eventually it opens up. Then once open you will see 2 little holes on the bottom of the cap. I then spray the WD40 in those holes as well and work it in as well.

What happens is that the fumes and also the liquid gas gets into the cap and causes corrosion to start. This then causes it to stick and not open.
Ever heard of Fluid Film. I just learned of it recently due to a jet ski purchase. Supposed to the best thing to prevent any corrosion from salt water use. I ordered some yesterday and if it is as good as they claim, it will fix this issue for many years. Just a thought...

http://www.fluid-film.com/

Old July 7th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #6
Lvr
ninjette.org member

I'm gonna try a graphite-based lube specifically for locks to get it open. I'll let you know how it goes. Ultimately I think I'm just going to replace the whole unit with a threaded one from sportisi though.
thanks for the advice!

Old July 7th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #7
Lvr
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
Wow that sucks... What year we talking about here. Not sure it makes a difference other than maybe having some warranty left on it. If it is older, I would suggest something to help loosen it up. WD40 would prolly be fine.
It's actually only a 2010. I bought it new and have hd it less than a year. I suspect it's sticking so badly because I got caught in some heavy rain yesterday and water got in it.

Old July 7th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #8
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvr View Post
I'm gonna try a graphite-based lube specifically for locks to get it open. I'll let you know how it goes. Ultimately I think I'm just going to replace the whole unit with a threaded one from sportisi though.
thanks for the advice!
I would think a liquid such as WD40 would work better to loosen it and then use a graphite lube for longevity after a couple fill ups to allow the WD40 to evaporate some.

Old July 7th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #9
Lvr
ninjette.org member

I would have thought too, to be honest, but I did some research and it seems like other people with this problem have had much better luck with the graphite. I have wd-40 too tho, so we'll see how it goes. one way or another, the little bastard's coming off

Old July 7th, 2011, 08:06 AM   #10
dubojr1

Quote:
I would have thought too, to be honest, but I did some research and it seems like other people with this problem have had much better luck with the graphite. I have wd-40 too tho, so we'll see how it goes. one way or another, the little bastard's coming off

Old July 7th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
For this I have learned that 1 once of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Our ninjas get great millage, but the poor little cheap gas cap lock is easily corroded. Open that sucker up once a week (more or less as needed) prevents the suck issue all together. I now lube mine along with the chain.

To open a stuck one;

1. Clean with wd-40 (may need to let soak for a bit)
2. Insert key and work it back and forth with enough pressure to move it, but NOT bend/break key
3. To power through the really tough parts, use a rubber mallet on the tank mount bracket under the seat. Tap it, but don't pound it as your turn the key
4. With time an patience you should be able to get it open
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #12
Lvr
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
For this I have learned that 1 once of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Our ninjas get great millage, but the poor little cheap gas cap lock is easily corroded. Open that sucker up once a week (more or less as needed) prevents the suck issue all together. I now lube mine along with the chain.

To open a stuck one;

1. Clean with wd-40 (may need to let soak for a bit)
2. Insert key and work it back and forth with enough pressure to move it, but NOT bend/break key
3. To power through the really tough parts, use a rubber mallet on the tank mount bracket under the seat. Tap it, but don't pound it as your turn the key
4. With time an patience you should be able to get it open
I'll keep that in mind, thanks. number 3 there is a good idea; i'll try that if I have problems.

I feel like there should be mention of this issue in the maintenance section of the DIY list, or maybe in the wiki...

Old July 7th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #13
Lvr
ninjette.org member

I think if you have the stock gas cap, it would be a good idea next time you have it open to remove the one screw that's UNDER the cap. That way if it locks on you when you're away from home and almost empty... like me today... you can still undo the six external screws and remove the entire unit. pain in the neck, but at least you wouldn;t get stranded.

Old July 7th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #14
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
thanks for the advice!
Be careful with powdered graphite lubes in the tank keyhole. Too much and you won't be able to put your key in. Use a liquid spray, but not too much.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #15
FF0000
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (EX250F)

WD-40 should NEVER be used on locks. Sure, it works, for a while...But will eventually cause more problems down the road.

Always use graphite.
FF0000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #16
Lvr
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF0000 View Post
WD-40 should NEVER be used on locks. Sure, it works, for a while...But will eventually cause more problems down the road.

Always use graphite.
That's what I keep seeing, and why I'm planning to use graphite instead.

Old July 7th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #17
FF0000
ninjette.org member

Just be sure to not use a ton. Put a little in and then put the key in and take it out a few times. After that, try to turn it. If it doesn't open put a little more in and repeat the steps.

Old July 7th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #18
Lvr
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Just be sure to not use a ton. Put a little in and then put the key in and take it out a few times. After that, try to turn it. If it doesn't open put a little more in and repeat the steps.
sounds good. we'll see how it goes...

Old July 7th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Yea, just like for your chains, the wd-40 is a cleaning agent, not the lube. There is strong debate over what lube is best. Graphite, teflon, lithium, dry silicone, the list goes on.....

Find something that works for you and keep it maintained. Is really that simple.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #20
FF0000
ninjette.org member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Yea, just like for your chains, the wd-40 is a cleaning agent, not the lube. There is strong debate over what lube is best. Graphite, teflon, lithium, dry silicone, the list goes on.....

Find something that works for you and keep it maintained. Is really that simple.
Actually WD-40 is one of the few water displacing sprays that has a non-volitile lubricant in it. It does however have a tendency to gum up after time when it gets dryer and dirtier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water-displacing_spray

Old July 7th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #21
dubojr1

Quote:

Always use graphite.
Not that I'm arguing but WD40 has multiple auto/marine locks listed in their 2000+ uses listed online...

Personally, I don't use it much. I like it as an adhesive remover more than anything else.

Old July 7th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #22
kkim

I use a teflon based lube called Triflow in anything that turns or switches. Works like a charm. Graphite is a messy, dirty lube that will stain your clothes. watch out if you get any on your key.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #23
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

Lightbulb

Quote:
As the title of the thread says, I can;t get my gas cap to open. Basically it's as though I'm using the wrong key; the lock just won't turn. Unfortunately, it appears I can't just remove the whole assembly either because one of the screws holding it to the tank is under the lid. You can't access it unless you open the cap first.
Has anyone had this happen to them? I'm running low on fuel...
thanks
Are you turning the key in the right direction?

Old July 7th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #24
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
just use your trusty BFH.

Old July 8th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #25
Lvr
ninjette.org member

Haha, I actually was gonna try the BFH, but fortunately I didn't have to.

I picked up some 'dry' lube at the auto store on my way home from work. I don't think it was actually graphite, but apparently it's pretty much the same thing (minus the black staining kkim mentioned). I sprayed some into the lock and worked the key around, which didn't seem to do much, so then I saturated the key with it and repeated, and it opened! it kept catching for a bit, but the lube seems to have worked it's way into the lock now and it's pretty smooth. still getting replaced, but at least it works for now.

I also removed the one screw that sits underneath the cap itself, so that if it ever sticks like this again while I'm away from home, I'll at least be able to remove the whole assembly and still refuel.

Moral of the story: get some dry lube and maintain the thing, especially if you ride in the rain at all. I'll be doing the same with the ignition and trunk locks as well.

Old July 8th, 2011, 07:15 AM   #26
dubojr1

Quote:
Haha, I actually was gonna try the BFH, but fortunately I didn't have to.

I picked up some 'dry' lube at the auto store on my way home from work. I don't think it was actually graphite, but apparently it's pretty much the same thing (minus the black staining kkim mentioned). I sprayed some into the lock and worked the key around, which didn't seem to do much, so then I saturated the key with it and repeated, and it opened! it kept catching for a bit, but the lube seems to have worked it's way into the lock now and it's pretty smooth. still getting replaced, but at least it works for now.

I also removed the one screw that sits underneath the cap itself, so that if it ever sticks like this again while I'm away from home, I'll at least be able to remove the whole assembly and still refuel.

Moral of the story: get some dry lube and maintain the thing, especially if you ride in the rain at all. I'll be doing the same with the ignition and trunk locks as well.
Still not real sure I see a need to replace it.

Old July 12th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #27
pucktoplay1
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

sorry for the obvious question but.. are you pushing the key down and then turning? Took me a good 5 minutes to figure out thats how my 09 cap opens when I first got it.
pucktoplay1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 05:33 AM   #28
kenji_808
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CT Blue 250R(Sold), 2008 Black & Silver Honda CBR600RR(Current)

i had this issue with my 09 ninja....it was still under warranty(a few days from the expiration date actually) so i took to the dealership and the mechanic said that this a common problem with kawis

All he did was grab some all purpose lube and just sprayed some in the keyhole, inserted the key and just kept trying to turn the key. Eventually it opened up.

so after that every once in awhile i use this
http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-6-1-2
in the gas cap, seat release and ignition... and so far no problems
kenji_808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #29
DKB827
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

I actually had this same problem, discovered it on monday. I have been working it with WD-40 all week. Today I went out and got some PB buster soaked the cylinder let it sit took a flat head screw driver and turned it a little inserted the key and it opened up.

First thing I did was lube the mechanism.

must be a NY thing.

Old July 15th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #30
fyv0h
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r, of the blue variety (bestowed to Ninja_Duck22), 1998 CBR Smokin' Joe

PB Blaster. It's magical.
fyv0h is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #31
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I figured it was better than starting a new one.

I ran into this problem today too. Tri-flow did the trick eventually, but unless I was doing something wrong, it took longer than I expected / the directions indicated. It took a good 20-30 minutes and several lubings for the lock to finally release. Maybe my lock was just in particularly bad shape, I don't know.

I wanted to add that a self-proclaimed locksmith on ninja250.org recommended staying away from Lock-ease since it isn't a normal graphite lubricant, but rather it's graphite suspended in some kind of oil solution. He claimed that it would gum up the locks after a couple weeks. I can only assume it's intended for locks that won't see much moisture.

Add me to the list of people who will be lubing the lock mechanisms at the same time I clean/lube my chain!
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2011, 04:49 PM   #32
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

I've had this problem a few times. Generally, you can put as much lube/WD40/graphite as you like into the keyhole and it won't do a damned bit of good if the lock has started to corrode. I had to remove the gas cap (which involes drilling a hole to remove the hidden screw) and fully disassemble the lock and scrub down all the corroded parts which were flaking apart. Then, before you reassemble, fill up and pack the whole assembly with axle or wheel bearing grease.

Think that's overkill? When you're an hour from home at a gas station and can't fill up, you'll wish you'd done it. I got stranded TWICE before I learnt my lesson.

Old September 15th, 2011, 08:52 AM   #33
Lvr
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
I've had this problem a few times. Generally, you can put as much lube/WD40/graphite as you like into the keyhole and it won't do a damned bit of good if the lock has started to corrode. I had to remove the gas cap (which involes drilling a hole to remove the hidden screw) and fully disassemble the lock and scrub down all the corroded parts which were flaking apart. Then, before you reassemble, fill up and pack the whole assembly with axle or wheel bearing grease.

Think that's overkill? When you're an hour from home at a gas station and can't fill up, you'll wish you'd done it. I got stranded TWICE before I learnt my lesson.
No kidding. I had it happen twice as well, although I was lucky enough not to get stranded. For people who this problem, I recommend pre-emptively removing the 'hidden' screw (the one below the cap itself) and carrying the appropriate size hex key. that way at least you can remove the cap and not get stranded in a pinch.

I got the race cap from Matt at Sportisi though, and it's great. super light (for all u weight weenies lol), no risk of binding, and IMO pretty damn sleek looking.

Old February 14th, 2017, 07:32 AM   #34
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Quote:

Always use graphite.
Unless it's the ignition since graphite conducts electricity.
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.