ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 15th, 2017, 12:22 PM   #1
markg42
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2002 250R

Engine dies if the clutch is released too fast

If I let go of the clutch about an inch short of fully releasing it, which is how far I have to let it go in order to move the vehicle at all, let the vehicle move forward slowly for five seconds or so, then I can fully release the clutch without the engine dying and speed up. But if I let it go all the way, before moving at all, the engine dies.

It's a 2002 model, it's been sitting a while, and all I've done so far is put in fresh fuel with Stabil and Seafoam, change out the oil, change out the battery, and adjusted the clutch. I've been told it I might need to either clean out the carbs or change the spark plugs, which I'll do eventually anyway. Just wondering what you guys think.
markg42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2017, 12:50 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Mark!

I am making a few assumptions here but...

1. Clutch lever travel - that sounds normal but check to make sure one/both of the brakes is not dragging and double check to ensure the cable is in proper adjustment. And... letting the clutch all the way out at 0 mph is a sure way to stall the bike or get off to an abrupt start.

2. Stalling on starts - You might just be looking at a tune up and carb clean. Have you checked the air filter and airbox for debris? The 250's friction zone in the clutch is known to be small, are you by chance a new rider? Your skill at feathering the clutch in the friction zone will make this pretty easy when everything is setup and working properly.

Good luck and hope it's something simple to fix.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 15th, 2017, 02:19 PM   #3
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post

I am making a few assumptions here but...
letting the clutch all the way out at 0 mph is a sure way to stall the bike or get off to an abrupt start.

adding to this another question is, can you drop the clutch on a car with no gas and expect it to not stall? My suggestion is to learn how to release/slip the clutch while adding gas as you go.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2017, 02:41 PM   #4
markg42
ninjette.org newbie

Yeah, I got my ride in december and haven't started driving it frequently until recently. And I was wondering if the friction zone was supposed to be small, so I guess that might be just it. I'll check that stuff out too, and practice putting on some gas at the same time. Thanks!

Old February 15th, 2017, 02:57 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Along the lines of the above posts, if you were to be able to let out the clutch fully without the engine stalling, before the vehicle starts moving, it would mean your clutch is slipping badly and needs repair.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2017, 03:19 PM   #6
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg42 View Post
Yeah, I got my ride in december and haven't started driving it frequently until recently. And I was wondering if the friction zone was supposed to be small, so I guess that might be just it. I'll check that stuff out too, and practice putting on some gas at the same time. Thanks!
So when you try this the kick stand is up right??? What's the mileage?
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2017, 04:02 PM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
But if I let it go all the way, before moving at all, the engine dies.
Guys, I think you're missing this part. I don't know of any motorcycle that won't stall if you let the clutch out all the way before moving at all. This is the way it should behave.

Well, I guess if you have the power to get the rear wheel smoking you might get away with it.

Old February 15th, 2017, 04:59 PM   #8
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Welcome to the board!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2017, 08:31 PM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Welcome, Mark !!!

I would check the proper free play of the clutch lever and adjust it as needed first.
This is how to do it:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Adjusting_the_clutch_cable

If you feel you need more practice, just put the bike on the center stand and start the engine and play with releasing the clutch while pressing the rear brake.

Two things may have happened while the bike has been resting:
1) The jets of the carbs got partially clogged.
2) The discs of the clutch dry out and do not fully separate when you clutch-in.

#1 will make the engine hard to start and weak: it takes a deep cleaning.

#2 will make the clutch act like a single disc clutch with very rough and short dragging zone: it takes riding and shifting gears for a little while.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2017, 10:03 AM   #10
markg42
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
So when you try this the kick stand is up right??? What's the mileage?
Yeah, nothing to do with the kickstand. The odometer reads 6000 miles, though one of the previous owners put down that it the mileage exceeds the mechanical limits, so it might be way more than that.

Quote:
I would check the proper free play of the clutch lever and adjust it as needed first.
The clutch has about 2-3mm of free play.

Old February 16th, 2017, 10:07 AM   #11
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

If you still think something may be wrong, try feeling the two exhaust head pipes shortly after you start the engine, and see if they warm up equally.

Old February 16th, 2017, 01:29 PM   #12
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
What happens if you let the clutch out quickly (in gear) when it's up on the center stand?

If it doesn't stall, it's an issue with your technique.

Have you taken a basic rider course?
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2017, 09:01 PM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
......The clutch has about 2-3mm of free play.
Please, read this:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is..._at_startup%3F
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2017, 05:44 PM   #14
juliusmichaelhonrada
ninjette.org guru

Name: Julius Michael

Motorcycle(s): GPX250-RII

One thing i know about stalling engines, i once had a 220cc single thumper and when i let go of the clutch slowly it will start to accelerate even without giving throttle , tops at 12kph i cruise like that in our small village lol
juliusmichaelhonrada is offline   Reply With Quote