ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old October 30th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #81
Dmented
CVMA#747 Ⓓⓜⓔⓝⓣⓔⓓ ⓡⓐⓒⓘⓝⓖ

Name: Darren

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R * 09 Yamaha R6 * 08 CBR 1000RR * 04 NSR 50 * 02 KX 250

He's been on my mind all weekend...
the update isn't what i thought at all. thank you for sharing, and we're all here rooting for him!
**CVMA#747**AFM#747R**M1GP#77**LeoVince*RaceTech*Hotbodies*Cyclemall*Bridgestone *
Motorad*Dainese*PolyMoto*Woodcraft**Visit The Dmented Racing Youtube Channel*
Dmented is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #82
andylawcc
ninjette.org guru

Name: andy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 faster red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
Not exactly the update that I wanted to hear but hopefully you can find some comfort from the following...

We don't call Kevin "Honey Badger" because he does stupid and risky things on motorcycles; we call him that because he believes in himself. He believes that despite the odds he doesn't give a sh*t, like a honey badger, and he puts his all in to achieving. 90% is a very discouraging number - except for a Honey Badger, because Honey Badger doesn't give a sh*t about your number, he's going to make it happen.

Heal up soon Kevin.
for the 10%!
andylawcc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #83
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
If Kevin was posting in this thread, this I what I think he would post.

10% is lame, go big or go home.

I AM THE 1%
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #84
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Lemme also add a quote that is one of the things that is a life value that I have.

"The greatest success in life is doing what people say you cannot".

Old October 30th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #85
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Oh man!!! This is the first I heard of this. I never met Kevin personally other than my interaactions with him on here.

Hoping for he is the 10% to come out of this.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #86
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Pleas also remember to keep Andrea, Frederick, Travis, kevin Sr. And the rest of his family in your thoughts and prayers. As kevins friends we loved him. Yet we all know nobody loves you like your family.

With the love of his family and support of his friends Kevin will be that 10% I know it in my heart.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 30th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #87
aschika1
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '03 sv650; '09 ninja 250; '07 Triumph Daytona 675

I feel terrible about this. My thoughts and prayers to the family. I can't imagine the pain, I will certainly be thinking of my family every time I ride and make decisions on my motorcycle.

I remember talking with kevin about keeping it on the track, so hearing this broke my heart. Keep fighting Kevin!!
aschika1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #88
kevin2109dad
ninjette.org member

Name: Frederick

Motorcycle(s): the mangled motorycle Kevin2109 bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschika1 View Post
I feel terrible about this. My thoughts and prayers to the family. I can't imagine the pain, I will certainly be thinking of my family every time I ride and make decisions on my motorcycle.

I remember talking with kevin about keeping it on the track, so hearing this broke my heart. Keep fighting Kevin!!

thank you for this post
kevin2109dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #89
kevin2109dad
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalkit View Post
I had not heard until today. It's been many months since I have seen Kevin and we all care for him very much. Fredrick I feel where you are coming from and the heartfelt message you are bringing. It definitely makes a difference and has people stop and rethink of the bigger picture beyond how motorcycles brought us all together in the beginning. Life is so much more and I am pushing for that 10% chance that he will wake up and kick the nurse saying that hurt.
thanks for this post

Old October 30th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #90
kevin2109dad
ninjette.org member

Exclamation STOP!

I don't think anyone is going to mind me being forceful with this message. I wanted everyone to regroup here for a second and let's re examine this 10% number. I don't think it's an accurate number and should be used anymore. I feel that it is more helpful to back it with DATA and fact than to just say "I don't agree with that number"

The 10% number is for everyone. People with good hospitals, bad hospitals, old, sick, young, healthy, whatever.

Kevin is 21. If you just took all 21 year olds, It would be higher I bet.

Kevin got to the hospital within minutes. The accident occurred a few hundred feet from the hospital. Take that statistic of people who were that close to the hospital, and it's even a higher number.

Kevin is at one of the top hospitals for trauma in the Nation. Add all the people in top hospitals, the number goes higher.

Kevin comes from a privileged, upbringing. Add the people in that socioeconomic category and the number gets even higher.

I don't know what the final number should be, but I know that its not 10%. If it's not 10%, we shouldn't use it anymore, right? I simply conveyed that number to all of you because that was the raw statistic that the doctors told me. I say we never use that number again.

Some of you are in school, great with math and researching things. I would challenge someone to help the family by researching Diffuse Axonal Injury Grade 3 and use your math and statistics skills to apply all the things I mentioned (and add more) and come up with a better number and post it here and have it be data based.

We will continue to not forget about non data based things as well including hope, prayer, support, the energy that we all generate, etc.

The family has been researching this extensively, and would appreciate the help that all of you have offered to give us.

Also anything about this injury that you may find, that is positive and helpful would be great if you would post it. I would recommend posting the quote or point you are trying to make rather than just a link to an article as family members may not pick up the message you are trying to convey without your guidance and only a link.

As far as updates, Kevin will be going into surgery to get a trach tube (more permanent than the breathing tube he is on now. This will allow the removal of a lot of the tubes and reduce complication and discomfort. Then they can reduce the hard core narcotics and pain killers he is on as well. This signifies that the family is starting to "dig in" for the long haul if necessary. He is also getting his jaw operated on. I think it may be wired shut. All of this will occur on Friday as we only want to have one surgery. The good news is no other surgeries seem to be necessary.

I was not there, but my mother was with Kevin Sr. and I was forwarded a text that my mother got him to open his eyes for a second. Once again, all of these actions do not coincide with a typical Diffuse Axonal Injury Grade 3.

So someone needs to add to the statistic mentioned about all the people that open their eyes, move around. That number gets higher. You asked what we can use for help, so now I am asking

Finally, I appreciate whoever put in my profile "the mangled motorcycle Kevin2109 bought". I wanted everyone to know that I did not put that in my profile and it was done after I signed up. However, I am grateful that it was added.

Actually that is not the final thing I wanted to say. I wanted to make sure I said thank you for all that you have done and are doing

F.

Old October 30th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #91
kevin2109dad
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
Pleas also remember to keep Andrea, Frederick, Travis, kevin Sr. And the rest of his family in your thoughts and prayers. As kevins friends we loved him. Yet we all know nobody loves you like your family.

With the love of his family and support of his friends Kevin will be that 10% I know it in my heart.
thank you for this

Old October 30th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #92
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

This only reminds me how long it has been since I have had the opportunity to spend time with all of you in person. I truly miss the time I used to spend with you all greatly.

I am also sorry for this particular incident, this now makes two of my friends in the hospital in critical condition due to motorcycle crashes. I pray that Kevin makes a total recovery, hopefully his stubbornness helps him through the healing process. Hopefully I can get some time to actually come up and see him and some of the rest of the group.

Prayers to Kevin and his family...
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #93
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
As motorcyclists we don't care about statistics. If we looked at the stats, we'd be afraid to ride. I'm sure we're all aware of them. Statistics shouldn't be taken seriously, because they are not always accurate. I hope you understand what I'm trying to convey.

Old October 30th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #94
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

I haven't met Kevin, and only just saw this, but my thoughts go out to him, his family, and all of his friends. It really saddens me to see this, and I hope for a full recovery.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #95
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

man im so teary eyed reading this
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #96
Havok
Internet Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2109dad View Post
thank you for this
Frederick,

You never have to thank me for anything. As a matter of fact the opposite is true. I should be thanking you. I am sure kevin was not the easiest kid to try and take care of yet even with all that here you are picking up the pieces taking care of Andrea and Kevin trying to keep it all together. You sir have show your worth as a parent and as a man and have my ultimate respect.

Thank you Frederick for all you have done for my friend. You and the rest of the family have a heavy burden and I.hope to show you my worth as a friend and help with you with it in any way I can.

Old October 30th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #97
kevin2109dad
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
As motorcyclists we don't care about statistics. If we looked at the stats, we'd be afraid to ride. I'm sure we're all aware of them. Statistics shouldn't be taken seriously, because they are not always accurate. I hope you understand what I'm trying to convey.
This is my point. Let's not get caught up in statistics, especially when it's a low number like 10. Screw that number which I don't even feel is accurate

Old October 30th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #98
Havok
Internet Slut

Quote:
This is my point. Let's not get caught up in statistics, especially when it's a low number like 10. Screw that number which I don't even feel is accurate
The statistics are out the window anyway. The statistics say he should not be moving around yet he is. The statistics say he should not open his eyes and squeeze his mothers hand. So yea screw that number!

Old October 30th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #99
kevin2109dad
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
Frederick,

You never have to thank me for anything. As a matter of fact the opposite is true. I should be thanking you. I am sure kevin was not the easiest kid to try and take care of yet even with all that here you are picking up the pieces taking care of Andrea and Kevin trying to keep it all together. You sir have show your worth as a parent and as a man and have my ultimate respect.

Thank you Frederick for all you have done for my friend. You and the rest of the family have a heavy burden and I.hope to show you my worth as a friend and help with you with it in any way I can.
This post made me feel so much better

Old October 30th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #100
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I haven't been posting here but getting updates on the fb chat log daily; glad he's doing better! Kevin's gonna get through this, he's a good kid and with so much support and so many prayers; there's no doubt in my mind he'll recover.

Old October 31st, 2013, 03:08 AM   #101
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
If anyone's got this, Kevin does! Stubborn ass.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2013, 07:09 AM   #102
iplante
I ride like a granny

Name: Isabelle

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R - EX250F

Wow, I don't know Kevin since I haven't been around the board too much lately, but I'm sending positive thoughts and healing vibes his and his family's way. While the obvious are the physical wounds to heal, we mustn't forget the emotional wounds inflicted to his family and friends as well.

Every time I hear of a fellow rider going down, it makes me re-evaluate how I am riding and if there is anything that I can do to increase my odds and my safety, as well as the safety of friends and family that are also riders.

This thread unfortunately raises a déjà vu feeling... the last thread I followed like this one was for EthioKnight. I'm wishing with all my heart that this story has a better ending. Keep fighting, Kevin!

Old October 31st, 2013, 11:48 AM   #103
crazymater91
ninjette.org member

Name: Marcus

Motorcycle(s): 1994 kawasaki ninja 250

Good to see the update! Sorry it wasn't better news but still will be sending prayers his way
crazymater91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2013, 01:13 PM   #104
insomniaticnotw
ninjette.org member

Name: Kalin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Plasma Blue 250r

http://imgur.com/a/l1vZ7

It's album of a man who fell 2 stories and was given that raw 10% statistic for his DAI.
While some of the images may be hitting very close to home for you, this is the kind of hope you had asked for. I don't post very much, nor did I know much of Kevin; but, I hope he is on the quick route to recovery.
insomniaticnotw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2013, 02:56 PM   #105
Havok
Internet Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniaticnotw View Post

It's album of a man who fell 2 stories and was given that raw 10% statistic for his DAI.
While some of the images may be hitting very close to home for you, this is the kind of hope you had asked for. I don't post very much, nor did I know much of Kevin; but, I hope he is on the quick route to recovery.
**** yea, now we are talking!

Old October 31st, 2013, 04:32 PM   #106
kevin2109dad
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniaticnotw View Post

Now this is what I am talking about!

Old October 31st, 2013, 05:09 PM   #107
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
I don't think anyone is going to mind me being forceful with this message. I wanted everyone to regroup here for a second and let's re examine this 10% number. I don't think it's an accurate number and should be used anymore. I feel that it is more helpful to back it with DATA and fact than to just say "I don't agree with that number"

The 10% number is for everyone. People with good hospitals, bad hospitals, old, sick, young, healthy, whatever.

Kevin is 21. If you just took all 21 year olds, It would be higher I bet.

Kevin got to the hospital within minutes. The accident occurred a few hundred feet from the hospital. Take that statistic of people who were that close to the hospital, and it's even a higher number.

Kevin is at one of the top hospitals for trauma in the Nation. Add all the people in top hospitals, the number goes higher.

Kevin comes from a privileged, upbringing. Add the people in that socioeconomic category and the number gets even higher.

I don't know what the final number should be, but I know that its not 10%. If it's not 10%, we shouldn't use it anymore, right? I simply conveyed that number to all of you because that was the raw statistic that the doctors told me. I say we never use that number again.

Actually that is not the final thing I wanted to say. I wanted to make sure I said thank you for all that you have done and are doing

F.
The 10% number is not going to be accurate.

The biggest factor will be what exactly was damaged & how badly damaged it is. (I'm talking cellular level damage, which individual 'circuits' are disrupted)

The brain is a network of cells, it's not capable of repairing any damage that kills cells, but can re-route information around small areas of damage so long as there's enough healthy tissue. This is a long process of re-learning basic skills.

Getting to a trauma centre quickly probably saved his life. They have the skills & resources to treat brain inflammation which is a major killer. Being treated there gave him a better chance of recovery.

His age will give him a better chance to re-train his brain & re-route information around any permanent damage.

Opening his eyes & reacting to stimuli are very good signs. Read up on the Glasgow Coma Scale so you can have an idea of how badly he's affected once he's taken off sedation & see any improvements.

With brain injuries you're looking at so many variables that trying to pull meaningful statistics for a case will be very difficult, you'd need access to case files for multiple patients with the same regions damaged to a similar extent.

You may find something useful in a specialist medical journal like 'Brain Injury' or 'The Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation' (the first 2 that a quick google threw up), a keyword search in PUBMED would also be a good place to start
There are parents of kids with rare conditions who know it's details better than their consultant, and their knowledge is up there with the best in the world, it's down to how much they read up on the topic.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2013, 06:19 PM   #108
kevin2109dad
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
The 10% number is not going to be accurate.

The biggest factor will be what exactly was damaged & how badly damaged it is. (I'm talking cellular level damage, which individual 'circuits' are disrupted)

The brain is a network of cells, it's not capable of repairing any damage that kills cells, but can re-route information around small areas of damage so long as there's enough healthy tissue. This is a long process of re-learning basic skills.

Getting to a trauma centre quickly probably saved his life. They have the skills & resources to treat brain inflammation which is a major killer. Being treated there gave him a better chance of recovery.

His age will give him a better chance to re-train his brain & re-route information around any permanent damage.

Opening his eyes & reacting to stimuli are very good signs. Read up on the Glasgow Coma Scale so you can have an idea of how badly he's affected once he's taken off sedation & see any improvements.

With brain injuries you're looking at so many variables that trying to pull meaningful statistics for a case will be very difficult, you'd need access to case files for multiple patients with the same regions damaged to a similar extent.

You may find something useful in a specialist medical journal like 'Brain Injury' or 'The Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation' (the first 2 that a quick google threw up), a keyword search in PUBMED would also be a good place to start
There are parents of kids with rare conditions who know it's details better than their consultant, and their knowledge is up there with the best in the world, it's down to how much they read up on the topic.
Wow. Thank you so much for this. So incredibly helpful

I am in the hospital room and Kevin opened his eyes for 1.5 seconds when we asked him to. I personally saw this myself. I have heard 2nd hand accounts of him doing this, but i saw it myself. BOTH eyes at the same time

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old October 31st, 2013, 06:56 PM   #109
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I love reports of him showing signs

Old November 1st, 2013, 12:48 AM   #110
jokesonyou24
ninjette.org foodie

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): None...Yet

I don't know Kevin, but I do know motorcycle riders in general (especially ninja riders ) are damn tough cookies, because they have to be. Not to mention the human body is incredibly resilient. I'm not saying no worries, but have some faith in that...

Last futzed with by jokesonyou24; November 1st, 2013 at 08:47 AM.
jokesonyou24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2013, 09:41 AM   #111
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Kevin has a big day today. He is scheduled to go in to surgery for a few things...

He's going to have a permanent plate put in to his jaw to help heal the break as well as have his jaw wired shut so that he can't open his mouth to expedite the healing process.

He's also having a tracheotomy done. An incision is going to be made in his throat to insert a breathing tube. This is more comfortable than having it going down through your mouth and causes less damage to the throat.

Finally a feeding tube is going to be inserted directly in to his stomach through his side.

Seeing him last night his body is ready to wake up, now we just have to get his mind on board! Still having high hopes for my buddy to recover
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old November 1st, 2013, 09:51 AM   #112
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

I couldn't make it last night, and made plans to visit him after work today so I guess today is bad time.

I'll be praying for him.

Old November 1st, 2013, 10:41 AM   #113
kevin2109dad
ninjette.org member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I couldn't make it last night, and made plans to visit him after work today so I guess today is bad time.

I'll be praying for him.
I am pleased to tell you how wrong you are !!!!

Today would be a great time.

Kevin's eyes are open frequently and he seems like he is waking up. I was not there and this information is coming from his mother via text. I can't wait to see it first hand. I have a lot of business issues to deal with today so I can't get down there until later..

He has improved so much so they considering not doing the trach and pulling the chest tube out. They may postpone all the surgery due to all this progress. It is doubtful he will do any surgery today.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old November 1st, 2013, 11:13 AM   #114
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Further update: The doctors asked Kevin to open his eyes today and he did and they stayed open. He's was moving about and trying to take the tubes out. This is not officially "awake" but the doctors do believe that he is waking up. They have decided to still go ahead with the surgery and his jaw will be wired shut for 4-6 weeks.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old November 1st, 2013, 11:40 AM   #115
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Awesome news!!! Woot!!!

Old November 1st, 2013, 12:46 PM   #116
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16

Old November 1st, 2013, 01:28 PM   #117
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Hell yeah!!!!
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2013, 02:23 PM   #118
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

Excellent news.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2013, 03:46 PM   #119
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Yayayayayayayayayay!!!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2013, 03:50 PM   #120
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer