ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Old February 14th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #1
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled), 2007 Yamaha R6(Sold), 2013 Ninja 300 Special Edition W/O ABS

bike dies with clutch pulled in slowing down

My 300 has near 400 miles on it and sometimes when I pull the clutch in while braking it dies. Some times it does it, sometimes it doesn't, I haven't seen any pattern so far. I looked online and there's a video on youtube with a lot of people saying they are having this problem too. It's also posted about on another forum. Is this happening to anyone else here? I plan on taking it to the dealer in a week or so.
robertkh100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkh100 View Post
My 300 has near 400 miles on it and sometimes when I pull the clutch in while braking it dies. Some times it does it, sometimes it doesn't, I haven't seen any pattern so far. I looked online and there's a video on youtube with a lot of people saying they are having this problem too. It's also posted about on another forum. Is this happening to anyone else here? I plan on taking it to the dealer in a week or so.
Sounds like it's not disengaging properly, the easiest fix would be to see if the clitch cable needs to be adjusted.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
maybe your idle is too low?

Old February 14th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #4
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

With that low of mileage the dealer should fix it charge free, I wouldn't tinker with it though if you leave any trace they can use it against to you.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #5
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled), 2007 Yamaha R6(Sold), 2013 Ninja 300 Special Edition W/O ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
It is pretty low when it's warmed up but I saw another post saying that he increased his idle speed and it kept happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
Sounds like it's not disengaging properly, the easiest fix would be to see if the clitch cable needs to be adjusted.
Maybe, I doubt it though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
With that low of mileage the dealer should fix it charge free, I wouldn't tinker with it though if you leave any trace they can use it against to you.
Yeah that's what I thought so I haven't touched it yet. Maybe they can use my hard break-in against me? Although on another forum I saw that a member did a soft break-in and kept it under 40 mph and he is also having this problem.

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #6
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
It is pretty low when it's warmed up but I saw another post saying that he increased his idle speed and it kept happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
Maybe, I doubt it though.
Quote:
Yeah that's what I thought so I haven't touched it yet. I also bought the extended warranty from the dealer so I definitely won't be paying to get this fixed. I thought it was because I did a hard break-in but on another forum I saw that a member did a soft break-in and kept it under 40 mph and he is also having this problem.

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #7
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
no way they can know your brake-in technic My dealer told me for brake in, "just don't go too crazy".
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #8
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
no way they can know your brake-in technic My dealer told me for brake in, "just don't go too crazy".
Yeah that's what they told me too. Newer engines aren't as sensitive as older ones. My bike hasn't seen the redline yet anyway but I have done some freeway riding.

Old February 14th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #9
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Yup, common problem getting a lot of play on the interwebz. It's happened to me exactly once in the first few hundred miles. I increased my idle a bit and it never happened again. I have 2500 miles on it now.

I also always blip the throttle on downshifting. Some folks are angry about 'oh you shouldn't HAVE to do that.' I dunno. But this seems common for small displacement FI bikes (CBR had TONS of issues). Lots of folks still learning to ride grab the throttle as soon as they're ready to decel. The fuel cuts, rpms drop really fast, and the bike dies. My guess is that having a slightly low idle aggravates the problem, as the rpm drops even further.

So can't be sure, of course, but my guess is that if you: 1, raise your idle a bit, and 2, don't grab the clutch until you need to (and work on blipping the throttle on downshifts), your problem will go away. My hypothesis. Good luck.
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
when i bought my 250 new with 2 miles on it, the setup-mechanic told me to "go slow for the first 10 miles, then ride it like you stole it"

Old February 15th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #11
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
....sometimes when I pull the clutch in while braking it dies. Some times it does it, sometimes it doesn't, I haven't seen any pattern so far.

When the engine load is light like at idling or low speed, the ECU determines the injection quantity by calculating from the throttle vacuum (inlet air pressure sensor output voltage) and engine speed (crankshaft sensor output voltage).

You may want to try blipping the throttle when you pull in the clutch to see if that fixes the problem. Also upping the idle a little may help as well.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
How easy is to adjust the idle for the fuel injected Ninja 300?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #13
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

if its anything like the old EFI models then it should just take a 1/8 turn of idle adjustment screw after a through warm up.

probably a good idea to sync the throttles as well.

Old February 15th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #14
phrenetiK
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

huge thread on the other forum about this. apparently installing tuners have fixed it. it is not a problem with clutch engagement.

blipping the throttle while pulling in the clutch solves the issue completely. my bike only does it every once in awhile if i pull in the clutch within the first 1-2 minutes the bike is on.
phrenetiK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #15
robertkh100
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
Yup, common problem getting a lot of play on the interwebz. It's happened to me exactly once in the first few hundred miles. I increased my idle a bit and it never happened again. I have 2500 miles on it now.

I also always blip the throttle on downshifting. Some folks are angry about 'oh you shouldn't HAVE to do that.' I dunno. But this seems common for small displacement FI bikes (CBR had TONS of issues). Lots of folks still learning to ride grab the throttle as soon as they're ready to decel. The fuel cuts, rpms drop really fast, and the bike dies. My guess is that having a slightly low idle aggravates the problem, as the rpm drops even further.

So can't be sure, of course, but my guess is that if you: 1, raise your idle a bit, and 2, don't grab the clutch until you need to (and work on blipping the throttle on downshifts), your problem will go away. My hypothesis. Good luck.
I do throttle blip on downshifts. I'll try raising the idle because mine's at about 1200-1300 right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenetiK View Post
huge thread on the other forum about this. apparently installing tuners have fixed it. it is not a problem with clutch engagement.

blipping the throttle while pulling in the clutch solves the issue completely. my bike only does it every once in awhile if i pull in the clutch within the first 1-2 minutes the bike is on.
Yeah I saw that thread too so I'm happy it's not just me. I'll be taking it to the dealer soon to talk with them and see what we're going to do about it.

Old February 16th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #16
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

This is the part where people like me who wish they had a 300 say something like "My bikes got carbs and no slipper clutch and this never happened to me"
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #17
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

From what I'd read in the net up to now this must be a very common problem for the 2013 300 cos since this engine is built to meet emission standards the setup is just to lean and the best way to fix it is to get a pcv or anything like that.
Just take a look at the technical data and you'll see it.
The newgen 250-FI had this problem also but not that much like the newer 300 now.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Hasn't been a problem on mine.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #19
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Hasn't been a problem on mine.
Not on mine either. Only stalls I had were due to rider error.

Subscribed!
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #20
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

I dunno if it might have something to do with weight also. The one time it happened to me was riding two up, going downhill, and so I pulled the clutch early, without blipping, just to smooth things out for my wife. One guy on another forum said it always happened to him going downhill.
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #21
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
This is the part where people like me who wish they had a 300 say something like "My bikes got carbs and no slipper clutch and this never happened to me"
...lol. Carbs are foolproof. Don't get so excited. It's easy to make a carb that bogs and dies after being revved.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #22
S1att3r
ninjette.org member

Name: Raygan

Motorcycle(s): White 2013 Ninja 300(Storm), Silver 2003 Fjr1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Same way you do on the newgen 250s.
S1att3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #23
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
I dunno if it might have something to do with weight also. The one time it happened to me was riding two up, going downhill, and so I pulled the clutch early, without blipping, just to smooth things out for my wife. One guy on another forum said it always happened to him going downhill.
Do these bikes have a tip-over safety switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1att3r View Post
Same way you do on the newgen 250s.
Thanks !

Old February 16th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #24
S1att3r
ninjette.org member

Name: Raygan

Motorcycle(s): White 2013 Ninja 300(Storm), Silver 2003 Fjr1300

Quote:
Do these bikes have a tip-over safety switch?
Not a 100% sure but mine died after a couple of seconds after I dropped mine Wednesday. After I picked it up it wouldn't start all it would do was turn over and the cel would flash. Turned the key off and back on and let the fuel pump cycle and she started right up.
S1att3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #25
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1att3r View Post
Not a 100% sure but mine died after a couple of seconds after I dropped mine Wednesday. After I picked it up it wouldn't start all it would do was turn over and the cel would flash. Turned the key off and back on and let the fuel pump cycle and she started right up.
So yes, it has a tip-over switch. That's exactly what they do on other bikes.

Old February 19th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #26
Rassie
Motorcycle bon vivant...

Name: Rassie

Motorcycle(s): 300 Ninja, 250R Ninja, SV650S, CB350, GT750, Aprilia RS250, Triumph Street Triple R

No issues on my bike but I do blip the throttle on downshift and my idle is set at 1500rpm. Seems those two things together may just fix that problem. In any case no self respecting sport bike rider will not blip the throttle on downshift and even sometimes on up-shift just to make it sound cool...

NESBA 13, 300 Ninja, 250r Ninja, 06 SV650, Ninja ex250, CB350, CL90 ,GT750, Aprilia RS250, Triumph Street Triple R www.mybikeproject.com
Rassie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #27
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Mine does this too, stupid piece of **** bike
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #28
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

increase the idle a little.

Old March 29th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #29
Rassie
Motorcycle bon vivant...

Name: Rassie

Motorcycle(s): 300 Ninja, 250R Ninja, SV650S, CB350, GT750, Aprilia RS250, Triumph Street Triple R

Jiggles, that is too funny...the "Faster than" thingy..

NESBA 13, 300 Ninja, 250r Ninja, 06 SV650, Ninja ex250, CB350, CL90 ,GT750, Aprilia RS250, Triumph Street Triple R www.mybikeproject.com
Rassie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #30
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
AFM #676

Old March 30th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #31
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Does the 300 cut off fuel during decel?

Old March 31st, 2013, 01:02 PM   #32
MNDruggist
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 Ebony

My bike hasn't had the issue yet but this is the only video I could find on it.

http://youtu.be/4nAd_fScJsM

I can't see any issues with rider error, and it looks like it happens at low rpms about 3K or so.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old March 31st, 2013, 01:59 PM   #33
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Does the 300 cut off fuel during decel?
Pretty sure it does but it doesn't just die it like slowly goes down to 1000 rpms then stalls out
AFM #676

Old March 31st, 2013, 03:04 PM   #34
Xplorguy
ninjette.org member

Name: Norman

Motorcycle(s): BMW K12RS, DL650 , New 2013 "WonderBike" Ninja300SE

Quote:
In reviewing this thread, it doesn't look like anyone answered your question. It is very easy to adjust: you can reach down on the left hand side while seated on the bike...there is a knurled fitting on a short cable which allows you change the idle. Interestingly, the three new 300's that I have ridden were all factory set to idle at 2,000 rpm. Yet the manual recommends idle as low as 1250.
Some speculation on this: 1) They set it up this way so a new rider on a test ride is less likely to kill it? 2) This has something to do with passing emissions?
3) They set it high to lessen the possibility of the stalling phenomenon?
4) Something to do with fuel mapping and throttle cut-off during shifting?

During my still on-going break-in period...the engine surprisingly quit one time during a routine shift..nothing to be done...it just stopped. Re-started immediately.....no more incidents.
Xplorguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2013, 06:07 PM   #35
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Thank you very much, Norman !!!

Old March 31st, 2013, 07:34 PM   #36
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Pretty sure it does but it doesn't just die it like slowly goes down to 1000 rpms then stalls out
I had something like that happen when the bike was cold & stopped at lights or whatever. I have to keep a small throttle input to keep the revs at tickover, even with idle set at about 1700. It goes away once the temp goes above the 2nd line on the guage.

Key it on, off, on letting it finish making the startup noises before switching it or firing up has helped a bit.

I think @akima had a similar problem with her FI 250, don't know if she put a Power Commander in
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 01:27 AM   #37
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13

Link to original page on YouTube.

akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #38
drbyatch
ninjette.org member

Name: Heath

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

mine did this a bit in the break in period, i told the mechanic when i took it back in for the break in service he couldn't find anything wrong and told me to bring it back if it continues to do it.

it stoped doing it after the first service for me ... so i dunno.
drbyatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #39
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Apparently this is a fairly common problem among the 300's. First of it's breed, what can you expect I suppose.

I've had this happen more than I'd like, I was able to recreate a few times until the bike warmed up, then there were no issues. FI issue probably, but i thought the clutch might be funky at first because the previous owner had messed with the cables a bit.

GET THIS: The previous owner had pointed out to me that he tightened the throttle cable until there was no free play what so ever. The bike ran fine until I adjusted the cable for a little bit of free play (How every bike i've ever rode has been). Suddenly I started having this issue. IT looks like he must have tightened the throttle to constantly apply throttle even at rest to keep the bike from stalling?

I did some research on the web and there s a ton of complaints on it, i'm not sure if there's any sort of recalls on it because the kawasaki recall page is suddenly not working properly.

I was thinking of just upping the idle a tad and seeing if that helps.. it's already kind of high if i recall correctly though.

Thoughts?

Old August 4th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #40
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Quote:
Maybe u take a look here: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=140586
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote