ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old September 26th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Barnes and Noble

I was checking out the nook books and noticed a few "recommended" reads.

In one list, it seemed every other book was something like 50 Shades of Grey. Give me a break.

Does anyone read non-fiction or reference books anymore?

I like to get away on occasion and read a fictional book, don't get me wrong. However, it seems that over (yanks number out of the air) 90% of the book sales are just that.

I read some religious books (part of my Bible study group), I read the Bible, and I read a ton of reference books. I love survival based reads and historical reads too.

I guess that is just what makes the world go around huh? We each have our own preferences. It just seems that people avoid wanting to learn new things these days. They like to get "lost" so much.

[/rant] hahahha

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

I think it's just a result of the fact that people have enough or too many serious stuff at work to worry about. When you get home you want to relax and have some fun, not kill yourself with more problems and serious information.

Historical read is very much related to fantasy/fiction, I mean most fictional books have some sort of basis taken from historical events. Religious work is, if you look at it from an objective point of view, just a part of philosophy, and in many cases fiction, which may or may not be true.

To broaden the thinking, actually most things we do in afterwork hours is fiction. TV, movies, games, music, sports, hobbies, they just serve the purpose to make you happy, not smarter or better educated.

My current read is A portrait of an artist as a young man. I have Jack Aubrey series on hold and keep coming back to it occasionaly, before that I finished Nineteen eighty four, and one of the Stieg Larsson books (A girl who played with fire, I think), and I have started but not finished Gulag archipelago. Trying to find a kindle edition of Tigers in the mud.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #3
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I currently opened up a cheap read for my nook. It only ran me $4. The book is called The Truth About Simple Unhooked Living by Estar Holmes.

Quite interesting. It is an opinionated book (aren't they all?), but it makes you think. I like books that make me think.

Don't get me wrong, I'll pick up my Harry Potter series any day of the week, and also read stuff like Hunt for Red October, etc, but often I like reading things that make me think or make me learn.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
If I open up a fiction book, it's typically an autobiography.

Some of my favorites have been:
Chuck Yeager
Lance Armstrong
Charles Lindbergh

Every now and then I'll read a book, but not too often. I spend time being either a) active b) doing school work or c) being lazy/sleeping. Reading distracts me because if I find a good book, it will take priority over everything else that I should be doing.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): BLACK!!! '08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I read some religious books (part of my Bible study group), I read the Bible,....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I like books that make me think.
Religious books taht make me think....
Love Wins - Rob Bell
Not a Fan - Kyle Idleman
Old Guy on a '08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2012, 08:05 AM   #6
kcaja1
ninjette.org member

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R

Try Philosophy books and I guarantee they will make you think!
kcaja1 is offline   Reply With Quote