ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Old October 14th, 2014, 12:42 PM   #1
APEmike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300

Alignment off?

Alright, so last night, in addition to some small cosmetic changes (removal of bicycle style reflectors, painting stainless steel muffler trim) I tightened my chain as the very first 300 miles of the bike had loosened it enough to warrant an adjustment.

Come to find out there was a 3/16" difference left to right using the axel bolt to swing arm pivot center to center method! coming from the car world this seems huge to me. I adjusted it back to a point where I cant measure any difference at all with my available tools. A brief test ride told me that my bike is now MUCH more responsive to changes in direction.

I have two questions here...

1. Is this typical to have the alignment THAT far off from the dealer?

2. What happens when the alignment IS off in terms of how the bike acts?

Thanks!
APEmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEmike View Post
.........I tightened my chain as the very first 300 miles of the bike had loosened it enough to warrant an adjustment.
Come to find out there was a 3/16" difference left to right using the axel bolt to swing arm pivot center to center method! ........

I have two questions here...

1. Is this typical to have the alignment THAT far off from the dealer?

2. What happens when the alignment IS off in terms of how the bike acts?
1. A new chain should not need adjustment after 300 miles.
What is possible is that the axle has not been torqued as specified and there has been some relative sliding respect to the swingarm.
The regulators are just for adjustment: the real thing holding the tire in position when that chain pulls is the friction between axle and swingarm.

2. The bike tracks crabbing and the handle bar is not perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the bike. You may or not feel certain steering pull to one side.

The best alignment is done using the front wheel as a reference.
Any other way may introduce gross errors.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote