ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 13th, 2016, 04:00 PM   #1
madskids
ninjette.org newbie

Name: tom

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Help with clutch adjustment

Hello,
Ive been having some trouble with the clutch on my 2004 ninja 250.

A few weeks ago I started up the bike after not having ridden it for maybe 2 weeks, and when I tried to shift into first gear the bike stalled and lurched forward as if the clutch wasnt pulled in. I then found that I wasnt able to roll the bike forward in the gear with the clutch pulled in all the way.

Last summer I adjusted the cable a bit at the lever to give the lever a bit more free play, but since then havent messed with anything, so I was a bit shocked when suddenly the clutch seemingly wasnt disengaging.

Ive tried to adjust the cable at both the lever and the bottom where the cable ends. Ive managed to get the bike to roll with a lot of resistance while in gear, but nowhere easily as before. Strangely, a few days ago I seemingly fixed it, but didnt go on a ride and was dissapointed yesterday when the problem was back.

Anyway, I would appreciate any help!
madskids is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2016, 05:38 PM   #2
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Don't try and roll the bike with the engine off and the clutch in......motorcycle clutches don't work like car clutches.

Try it with the engine running and actually riding it.

This problem is caused by either a worn out clutch or possibly the wrong oil in the engine. What brand and weight of oil are you using?

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 13th, 2016, 09:19 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskids View Post
....... Anyway, I would appreciate any help!
Welcome, Tom !!!

It seems to me that previous owner abused the clutch and the steel plates are warped due to over-heat.
If so, there is too much drag with the clutch fully applied, maybe even stalling the engine when in gear and applied brakes.
That also heats up the oil too much during clutch operation (less than full discs' separation).

I would inspect the whole clutch and compare each part to specs if the condition persists.

You will need a new gasket for the clutch cover, and whatever part you find damaged or worn.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...ping_clutch%3F

Sometimes, dents develop on the surface of the housing over which the tabs of the fiber discs slide, preventing them from separating during clutch-in, producing the similar effect of excessive drag.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2016, 08:12 AM   #4
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Have you inspected the clutch cable carefully?

My experience with the EX250 clutch cable is this: the clutch cables on these bikes fail over time and have to be replaced every so often. I've owned my 2005 EX250 a total of 9 and 1/2 years now and I've had to replace the clutch cable twice.

The clutch cable is made from a bunch of smaller wires all wrapped together. When my clutch cable began to fail it did it one small wire at a time (the failure point for my cable was up at the clutch lever end, on the handlebar). As more of the total number of small wires broke the remaining wires began to stretch requiring me to adjust the clutch lever cable setting to make it home. I made it home with just one or to strands of the original clutch cable still intact.

If I was the Original Poster of this thread I would start by replacing the clutch cable. He says his bike is a 2004, if he has never replaced the clutch cable on his bike I'd be willing to bet it is way overdue and probably coming apart somewhere.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2016, 10:19 AM   #5
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
The OP didn't ride the bike for a couple of weeks, seems like the clutch just was dry, remember wet clutch needs oil.

I've come across this problem before after bike has been sitting or in storage. Some oils don't cling well to the clutch pack. Just warm the bike up, and pop it in gear and ride, it should be fine after a few shifts to get the oil back into the clutch itself.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote