ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 5th, 2016, 12:35 PM   #1
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Name: Ruben

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 and 1991 Yamaha Virago XV750

Summary of how my carb problems worked out and how the pregen runs now.

For anyone that may face the same issue, I bought a 2007 250F with a bad missing problem at cruising speed. No problem starting, idling, or accelerating.

Reference:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=277768

I started by changing the petcock since I found a little gas in the petcock vacuum hose . No change with the missing problem.

I looked for vacuum leaks, I found possible leaks, but no change in the missing problem.

Decided to remove the carbs. First time ever for me. To do this, I removed the back tire, rear fender, battery and then slid the stock air box out the rear to get the carbs out. That sucked!

I decided to never go through that again! I ordered a K&N R-0990 dual pod air filter. I also bought a stand alone crankcase fumes filter.

I also ordered 2ea. Kawasaki 108 Main Jets. And 2ea. new Mixture Screws with steel washer and o-ring. I did NOT order a complete jetting kit. Just 2 new main jets 1 size larger than stock(105). I went to Home Depot and bought 4ea. 3mm stainless steel washers to be added to the carb needles on each carb.

Once I got the carbs off the bike, I begin to remove jets, needles and mixture screws for inspection.

Whoever had taken the carbs apart previously did a TERRIBLE job of it. The Pilot Mixture Screw sealed aluminum covers had been butchered getting them off, but no damage to the screw itself though.

When I removed the Pilot Mixture Screw on one of the carbs, I noticed that the steel washer was missing and the rubber o-ring was cut in two and was lying in the bottom of the mixture screw hole. To compensate for this o-ring being broken, the idiot must have had to screw down the mixture screw almost completely to get the bike to run at all.

The carbs were not that dirty at all. I cleaned all ports, openings and holes with carb cleaner and reassembled the carbs with new 108 jets, mixture screws with new washers and o-rings. The float ports looked like new, so I left them.

I added 2ea. 3mm stainless steel washers to each carb needle also.

I set the Pilot Mixture Screws to 2 1/2 turns out as suggested in many places.

I cut the original plastic air box with a dremel tool to keep the existing battery box. Here is tip for you! I also left the very bottom of the old air box attached to the battery section. This made a great flap to keep any road spray out of the air filter area in case of rain. Turned out great!

I put the carbs back on the bike and installed the crankcase filter and the K&N R-0990 dual pod air filter. I reinstalled the plastic battery box cut off of the old air box. Put the tank back on a refilled the tank with fuel.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2016, 12:41 PM   #2
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

I tried to start the bike and after the float bowls filled with gas, the bike started right up and idled fine! Yes! I adjusted the idle mixture screw slightly to set the idle to about 1400 RPMs.

I took the bike for a short test ride and it was almost perfect in it's settings. I then took it for a 5 mile trip at cruising speed and no more missing at cruising speeds.

I took a 100 mile trip near my area this week and I then leaned the mixture screw down 1/4 turn to 2 1/4 turns out from bottom.

It now idles fine, cruises great. No sputtering at heavy throttle or back firing when getting off the throttle.

I couldn't be more happy with the results!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 5th, 2016, 12:52 PM   #3
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Results after the 100 mile trip.

You can certainly hear the intake with the K&N R-0990 dual pod air filter. It's LOUD! But, I'm getting used to it. It helps me hear how the bike is running with a lot of wind noise. You can now certainly hear the bike coming on full throttle, but not uncomfortable.

It almost sounds like I have an aftermarket exhaust system on the bike(I don't have one). But, I'm sure it's because the intake is right below my seat.

I just love the flap created by leaving the bottom of the old air box still attached to the battery box. It seals the air box area from any road spray and doesn't get in the way of the new K&N air cleaner or with removing the carbs. I can now remove the carbs and never even take the battery out! I love it!

Would I do it again? Hell yes. If you have any questions or ideas let me know.

Peace,
Wanderer

Old October 5th, 2016, 12:52 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Good work. Sounds like the only thing left is a MPG report after a couple tanks.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2016, 12:53 PM   #5
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Good work. Sounds like the only thing left is a MPG report after a couple tanks.
I will do that next week I hope.

Old October 5th, 2016, 01:00 PM   #6
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Things I noticed concerning the K&N R-0990 dual pod air filter. The lip on the carbs is not very thick. There are several rows of ridges inside the K&N port where the carbs slide into.

It can be a bitch to get the K&N all the way on the carbs the first time because of these ridges.

Take your time! Keep working the filter on farther until the air filter rubber is all the way to the metal stops on each side of the carbs. Then tighten the hose clamps down tight. No problem with it slipping off so far.

Old October 5th, 2016, 01:04 PM   #7
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

I don't know why, but the darn fitting coming out of the engine crankcase for the crankcase fume ventilation is cone shaped! It makes the aftermarket vent filter want to slip off every time you try and clamp the hose clamp it down.

I ended up using the old rubber crankcase rubber "dog leg" hose and then connecting my new crankcase filter to it. That seems to hold well.

Old October 5th, 2016, 01:05 PM   #8
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
I will do that next week I hope.
I also need to see how the spark plugs look after a several miles to see if I'm running rich or lean. But, it seems to feel right so far.

Old October 5th, 2016, 01:20 PM   #9
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

One last thing I forgot to mention.

The float bowl o-rings that seal the float bowl looked quite old and flat and I should have replaced them, but I wanted to test ride the bike. I suspect that they were the ones that came on the bike when new!

When you push and get impatient, you make mistakes and I did just that.

When I first tried to start the bike, the carb bowls leaked badly. So, I got a chance to remove the new K&N air cleaner and the carbs again! Easy this time with no air box in the way. Took me just a few minutes and the carbs were out again. Easy.

So, replace the float bowl o-rings!!! There are some terrible bowl o-rings on the market. The Kawasaki ones are EXPENSIVE! But, they are perfect fits. You decide.

I put the carbs and K&N air filter back on in about 5 minutes after I put the new o-rings in.

No more carb leaks.

Old October 5th, 2016, 01:38 PM   #10
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
EZ Turn gasoline and oil resistant grease makes a really nice sealer for things like questionable bowl gaskets. You just have to be careful to use a very thin coat, since if a glob breaks off it won't dissolve, and could clog a jet. It's made for lubricating things like the fuel selector valve in the petcock. It never hardens, and dissolves with alcohol.

It's available from Aircraft Spruce.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2016, 01:41 PM   #11
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
EZ Turn gasoline and oil resistant grease makes a really nice sealer for things like questionable bowl gaskets. You just have to be careful to use a very thin coat, since if a glob breaks off it won't dissolve, and could clog a jet. It's made for lubricating things like the fuel selector valve in the petcock. It never hardens, and dissolves with alcohol.

It's available from Aircraft Spruce.
Good tip Jim.

The idiot that had hacked the carbs before I bought it has actually put RTV on the o-ring instead of replacing it. It took me a while to get the old o-ring out and to clean all of that crap off.

Old October 5th, 2016, 04:41 PM   #12
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Glad you got it running so well!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote