ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old November 14th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #1
shellneil
ninjette.org member

Name: shellneil

Motorcycle(s): 1999 kawasaki ninja zx6r

a buell blast?

so for those who dont know i'm selling my 09 250r.....well someone offerex me a trade of a 2002 buell blast.....i apologize if i offend anyone but....what a joke ...that is the ugliest bike i have ever seen...it doesnt even look cool at all...just wondering what do you think of the bike?
shellneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #2
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

It's a good bike for what Buell designed it for. And that's as a learner's bike. It's not even really a 'true' Buell (even in the eyes of Erik Buell himself) since it's NOTHING like the rest of the lineup. Buells are actually really great bikes with innovative tech in the bikes that many underestimate, don't know about, or don't understand. It's a shame that HD killed it before even giving it a fair chance at life. I mean they never bothered to advertise them, nor try to sell them in sport bike dealerships.

As for the blast itself. It's not really any better then the ninjette. It's got more reliability problems then the ninjette and many complain of the vibration especially at idle. Not to mention it's ugly like you said.

I'd say either stick with the 250 or find something that's actually a trade UP and not sideways to just a different "beginner" style of bike.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #3
shellneil
ninjette.org member

Name: shellneil

Motorcycle(s): 1999 kawasaki ninja zx6r

i want to up my cc's......would like ninja zx6r.. nothing more nothing less..........the kid actually said my bike was crap .. but yet he wanted it though?????i'm sorry the buell is just a ugly bike, there is nothing cool about it.
shellneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2009, 04:45 AM   #4
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellneil View Post
the kid actually said my bike was crap ..
The ninjette is crap? Um, I don't seem to know of Kawasaki killing the 250 line because the designer of the bike didn't like it and wanted it gone from the lineup.

Erik Buell, creator of Buell motorcycles including the Blast, made a video explaining why he was stopping the commercial production of the Blast. He even took a Blast and crushed it into a cube and signed it.

The 250 on the other hand has been Kawasaki's best selling bike for years. Somehow, I don't think that makes a bike crap. However, when the creator of a bike dislikes the image it portrays about his company and decides to destroy it, I would say it's not that great of a bike.

I think the 250 in 08 might have outsold the Blast in it's entire production lol. And the Blast doesn't have any more power then the 250 (the blast makes 34hp) it doesn't handle any better (it's heavier), the engine was a single cylinder 'thumper' that was murder vibes at idle (according to all the blast riders I've spoken to anyway) is just plain ugly, and was more prone to break down then the 250.

So this kid you speak of has absolutely no clue what he's talking about lol. Don't sell your 250 to someone that has already said they don't respect it.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #5
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

The blast was a piece of crap.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #6
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2006

yeah and it sucked also

Old November 14th, 2009, 06:41 AM   #7
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

The only thing a Blast was good at was safety courses. Even then, I think I'd rather have an Eliminator 125.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #8
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Before buying my Ninja 250 I compare it with the Buell Blast and the Ninja had more to offer and won me over.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #9
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

I rode a blast at the MSF.
Granted the Ninja is FAR ahead of the blast in a comparison in my eyes....but I don't think the blast is as bad of a bike as you guys are making it out to be.

It IS a beginners bike, but it is also a completely different bike from the ninja. It has tons of low down torque that the ninja can't touch, which makes it a pretty fun bike to toy around with.

I dont think the blast is a horrible bike, but still, as I said, the ninja is far ahead of the blast.

Old November 14th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #10
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Even trade with an older Blast, I would have laughed at the fool. Even if the years were the same, I would still recommend the Ninja.

Now if someone offered to trade you an XB*S or XB*R you might want to go for a test ride before you decide on that trade. These bikes have a far superior chassis and suspension to a stock Ninjette and would be well worth considering.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #11
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
You also have to take into consideration the fact that thr Buel line is no longer in production so parts are going to start to be hard to find.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #12
ScraitT
Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
You also have to take into consideration the fact that thr Buel line is no longer in production so parts are going to start to be hard to find.
HD has to continue making parts for the bikes for a certain amount of years, as well as honor the warranties on the bikes...parts will be no problem to find. 5 years from now parts might start getting iffy, but that time is nowhere near

But still, I'd never trade a ninja for a blast unless I was getting something significant in the trade (a MUCH newer blast or cash)

Old November 14th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #13
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraitT View Post
But still, I'd never trade a ninja for a blast unless I was getting something significant in the trade (a MUCH newer blast or cash)
Same here. Rode a Buell blast during my courses and I'd only trade to get one if my side of the deal was giving a scooter.

Top speed is the same as the ninjette. Looks, not even close (but that's a personal issue). Insurance, probably more since it's a 500cc.

And the biggest problem I had with it is: it shakes like a leaf. Annoying to say the least but I bet it's popular with the ladies

Back on the road again Season 2010 Dam it feels good!
250Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #14
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraitT View Post
but I don't think the blast is as bad of a bike as you guys are making it out to be.
Yes... it is
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #15
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2006

Yeah...and it sucks too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old November 14th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #16
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I've never rode a Blast but I always liked the look. It looks different sure, but I think it looks good.

Old November 14th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #17
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Always liked singles and rode a Blast in MSF. The thing shook like a thrashing machine. It was also not a particularly comfortable bike. I liked the Ninja because at 250cc it performed like a lot of 500`s. It also has a stunning appearance.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #18
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

I seen a blast for the first time about a week ago. I was driving down the parkway and I seen it pull out in front of me, and I was thinking what is that, so I sliced and diced my way through traffic, and when I got up next to it, I seen it was a blast, and it sounded awful. I just wish I was on my bike so I could race it.

Old November 15th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #19
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

I like the looks of the Blast. Seat height is short short short, power is solid. Seems a good bike to learn on but I doubt its staying power compared to the Ninja 250.

Old November 16th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #20
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Blast staying power = 0

For the 2010 model they put it in the crusher!

In October 2009 Harley killed the manufacturer in the face of declining motor couch sales and their horrible credit department's losses (no bail out for Harley).

Rumor is that they will continue to provide Blasts for the Rider's Edge training program, but that has yet to be confirmed. The Blast is far more like a Harley than it is a Buell and it might actually serve the motor couch dealer better.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #21
ScraitT
Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
The Blast is far more like a Harley than it is a Buell and it might actually serve the motor couch dealer better.
That's a pretty good point. Harley might actually do pretty well if they made a small cruiser out of it and kept it as a beginner bike and left the price around 5000. There are a lot of people out there that would buy if for the Harley name.

I really don't think it would take a whole lot to change it into a cruiser either. Really just take off those plastics above the headlight and lower the seat and tail section some...maybe redesign the tail to wrap around the wheel a little. It would have a cruiser look to it for not much work.

Old November 16th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #22
ScraitT
Green!

Yes, I am bored
I think that would sell just fine as a Harley.

All I did was the following:
-I replaced the seat and tail with a tail from an xr1200 sportster.
-I cut the plastic away from the front headlight.
-I cut out the undermount exhaust.
-I put on a straight pipe (it's a Harley after all)
-I replaced "Buell" with "Harley Davidson"

Of all that, the only "major" change to the bike was the tail section. A tail section that HD already makes. All they would have to do is fabricate it to fit...maybe some slight modifications to it.
The only other thing that might make it look a bit more HD would be to lengthen the front fender...but the xr1200 has a short fender as well, so it's not necessary.
I think it would fit in decently, and with he single, it wouldn't be the same as Harley's Vtwin sound, but I don't think it would be too far off.

Last futzed with by ScraitT; November 16th, 2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Waaaay oversized picture!
ScraitT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #23
ManyCavies
ninjette.org sage

Name: Crissy

Motorcycle(s): . . . . . . . 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800 "Suzi", 2008 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 "Yoshi"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250Rocket View Post

Top speed is the same as the ninjette.
I did a demo ride on the Blast year, when I got to open it up on the freeway I didn't find that it had the same top speed as the ninjette.

Old November 16th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #24
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyCavies View Post
I did a demo ride on the Blast year, when I got to open it up on the freeway I didn't find that it had the same top speed as the ninjette.
I'm going by stats not experience on that. I only know the detail from my motorcycle course. I wasn't at liberty to top it out

Back on the road again Season 2010 Dam it feels good!
250Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #25
ManyCavies
ninjette.org sage

Name: Crissy

Motorcycle(s): . . . . . . . 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800 "Suzi", 2008 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 "Yoshi"

I was really surprised, I couldn't keep up with the group , I know a girl that has a Blast and she was telling me it was faster because it was a 500, and I would like it more than the ninjette. It was really more like my cruiser, more bottom, less top, only my cruiser is a 800.

Old November 17th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #26
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D (Sold), 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II

I kind of like that XR1200 tail on the Blast, I think that looks pretty good. Although I'd rather have Buell on the tank than HD. They probably also have to change the swingarm so they could run some bigger tires, from what I've read, it's limited to the 120/80-16 and only a couple of those models fit.
I'd just as soon not have the straight pipe on there, there's a guy here on campus that has a glass packed muffler or something that's almost straight through, his doesn't sound that good at all, definitely not better than the stock muffler. Of course he's always reving it too, hmmm...
Could you enlarge the gas tank too, while you're at it. ;-)
Tony

Old November 17th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #27
ScraitT
Green!

Haha, I was just messing around a bit for some fun.

Ideally the swing arm would be bigger, but it is a beginner bike, and the idea was to show how little HD would have to change to make it fit in.
And the pipe, it was the first thing I found to help complete the cruiser look. It would never come from the factory with that, but people would probably put something similar on it unfortunately.