Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old July 22nd, 2010, 12:33 PM   #1
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Rider coach certification...

Hey folks!

I have a job opportunity coming up soon and I'm very excited about it. I'm in the process of preparing to certify with MSF to be a rider coach. The Harley stealership in town runs a program called Riders' Edge, which is basically the same class, but a little longer. You have to be certified by MSF to teach this class as it's basically the same. I'm going to end up being able to teach both the state class (like the one I took), and the Riders' Edge class. Who else is a Rider Coach? How do you like it?

Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:22 PM   #2
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Congatulations Michael. This sounds like a great oportunity for a career and for you to develope as a motorcycilist. The best of luck to ya.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2010, 03:10 PM   #3
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Congratulations. Tell us about the training.
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #4
Verus Cidere

For now, it's just observation. I have to observe two full basic classes and at least one advanced class. Found out the other day that I can pass the advanced test on my CBR fairly easily, so we know the Ninjette teaches very well!

On another note, I am officially disgusted with the DMV here. My dad (against my advice of course) is going to get his endorsement by taking the DMV test rather than the MSF class (for monetary reasons). He wants to ride my sister's ninjette to work. I decided to go with him when he went to take the test to spy on their version of learning whether someone is fully in control of a motorcycle or not. He ended up having to take a written test they told him didn't exist when he called, so I went to see what the test was. I was EXTREMELY disappointed. The test consists of several very LARGE figure-8's (as in MSF makes you do a figure-8 in half the space the DMV makes you do it in) and another test which made me start laughing immediately, then get very angry later. They make you turn left from a stop, as though you're turning at a stoplight. Then, you are REQUIRED to intentionally lock your rear wheel and skid to a stop. You aren't allowed to use your front brake at all. Those are the only two tests.

Old July 29th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #5
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Then, you are REQUIRED to intentionally lock your rear wheel and skid to a stop. You aren't allowed to use your front brake at all. Those are the only two tests.
WTF?
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #6
Verus Cidere

Exactly.

Old July 29th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #7
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

It's hell on your rear tire but it isn't hard to do.... go hit ya up a nice big parking lot and give it a go

Old August 30th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #8
Verus Cidere

The point is, you're never supposed to do that, especially not on purpose. Either way, this town is insane.

Well, I'm continuing my rider coach training. I just finished observing another class yesterday. I'm really enjoying this. Even if I don't end up getting the job, it's giving me reminders of all the things I don't necessarily remember from the class that help me be safe. I also got to ride a couple of demonstrations for exercises, and I directed a couple of them as well. I think I'm getting the hang of this...

Oh, hey Alex, I think this thread might fit better in the riding skills subforum. I would've originally posted it there, but that subforum didn't exist at the time. Can you move it for me please? Thanks!

Old August 30th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to riding skills...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote