ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 25th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #1
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Driving skills improved since started riding?

Which specific driving skills have you noticed improved in your everyday driving after you started riding motorcycles?
I have certainly noticed that after I started riding, I became a better cage driver too. In particular, riding on 2-wheels has made me learn how to look through the vehicle right in front of me to look as far ahead as I can while still consciously monitoring every move of the vehicles around me. This is a technique Lee Parks talks about at the end of "Total Control". Riding in the mountains really forces me to practice this as riders have to look as far through the corner as possible while still monitoring their closer surroundings, watching the sides of the road for animals, the camber of the road, the elevation changes (this particularly with the 250, not so much the 650...elevation changes don't affect it as much), the pavement surface, etc, etc. I find myself using this same technique reflexively when driving my car. I'm much more aware of my surroundings and everything going on around me than the zoned out driver I used to be. Are there specific driving skills you've noticed that you have improved since you started riding that have transferred to your everyday driving?

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R/'10 ZX6R/'02 YZ125/'06 DRZ125L/'05 Blaster

My driving is as good as it ever was, I bet. I've only ever driven a couple times out of necessity. I don't even have a drivers license.
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

I'm with Ally 100%. I've noticed I am a much more attentive driver when I'm in my cage now. I'm constantly scanning the road for hazards, which I wasn't doing as much before.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

To be honest I've always been a fairly aggressive driver. I used to pride myself on being aggressive with making as little impact on the traffic around me as possible (ie: making lane changes under tight conditions, but making sure that the guy behind me doesn't have to slam on his brakes, and etc). It was more a game for me really, to see how tight I could make my driving...so I was constantly working on my ability to predict traffic, on my timing, maintaining space, controlling the driver behind me using my brake lights, timing my gear shifts (I drive stick), etc.). A lot of the skills I use on my bike actually came from my experience as a driver.

I have to say, though, that I find that I'm speeding less these days, and accelerating less aggressively. I guess being able to go 0-100 km/h in 3 or 4 seconds on my bike has made the effort completely pointless in my car haha.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #5
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
I guess being able to go 0-100 km/h in 3 or 4 seconds on my bike has made the effort completely pointless in my car haha.

Ha! Hubby says the same thing. I, however, have always been a fast driver and wish I could cure myself of that. The 650 helps, but I really don't ride it all that often. The Lil' Ninj is more my size.

Old August 25th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #6
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

yeah coworker was just talking about the bmw 3 series performance - and no doubt its a benchmark car. but i had to mention how one of the mags tested the bmw s1000rr against the m3 and it smoked the m3. good article. no longer feel any accelration rush driving a car. sure some would be cool, but cost prohibitive.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

Actually, I think my driving skills got a lot worse.

Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

i've improved my ability to look out for bikers now more then ever. I use to forget about the two wheel lovers until i owned one.
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #9
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I seem to be slicing it a bit more than I was. Maybe I am holding the clubs too tight after riding my bike?
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #10
pooter
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Not sure if my actual skills have improved, but my awareness definitely has, and I'm definitely more cautious all around now especially at intersections.
pooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #11
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I've gotten a lot better at my: KNEE STEERING WITH CELL PHONE TO EAR, DRINK BETWEEN LEGS, BURGER IN LEFT HAND, RIGHT HAND ON THE RADIO DIAL, EYES PEERING AT THE HOT CHICK JOGGING WITH AN AWESOME PINK HEADBAND INSTEAD OF THE ROAD maneuver.

Old August 26th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #12
road_rascal
ninjette.org member

Name: ___

Motorcycle(s): ___

My cage driving skills got much better when I got my CDL (Commercials drivers license) about 19 years ago. After I got my MC endorsement in 1997 my situational awareness drastically improved too. When I'm driving the cage I can just about predict what the other drivers will do (run a light/ stop sign, change lanes w/o signaling, etc.) Drives my wife nuts. I still speed quite a bit on the interstate. I really need to cut that out.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #13
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooter View Post
Not sure if my actual skills have improved, but my awareness definitely has, and I'm definitely more cautious all around now especially at intersections.
+1
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #14
Blackwidow

why do you guys keep calling cars cages?

Old August 26th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #15
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Because you are trapped inside a steel cage.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #16
Blackwidow

trapped? all it takes is to pull the knob and you're out. Everytime i hear someone say cage i think of a go-go dancer.

Old August 26th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #17
Snake

Hhhhmmm we need some pics of that...

Old August 26th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #18
Blackwidow

ask and you shall receive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1teemaree_in_cage_9-29-06_an1n.jpg (96.2 KB, 7 views)

Old August 26th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #19
Snake

Thanks...I knew I could count on you. You are the best!

Old August 26th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #20
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I have always looked far ahead and monitored traffic kinda like what flashmonkey was doing (though not doing the squeeze tactic) so I was already ready to do that on the bike. When I have cars I want to pass I always looked far ahead gauged everyones speed, then I measured the gaps between them, at that point if everything is good to go then I overtake quickly and slow back to proper speed (cause you know how people are like omg he is gonna pass me I guess I'll speed up now) If anything the bike makes me test my car's limits more often than I used to, kinda trying to calm that down a bit.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #21
Terrorizer
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 1989 Honda NT650 Hawk GT

There's definitely a difference! no question , not sure if I drive any "better" (define that) but I find myself emulating my bike riding when behind the wheel now Corners, Intersections etc, Sometimes I find myself leaning into a turn in my car! LOL!

Old August 26th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #22
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

My traffic scanning abilities and overall awareness have improved. I now look through corners while driving the cage too.
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #23
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrorizer View Post
Sometimes I find myself leaning into a turn in my car! LOL!
LOL! I do that too! :-)
I, admittedly, used to be more of your typical zoned out cage driver. I (knock on wood) have never wrecked my car, but I know I was a bit of a distracted driver who wasn't always focused on all of my surroundings and just kind of expected everyone else to see me and stay outta my way. On the bike, I pretend I'm invisible (truly we are invisible to many cagers who never see you), so riders obviously have to be focused on everything all around us and as far ahead as possible. I've noticed that has transferred to my cage driving and I love it! I'm always monitoring way ahead while staying focused on the cars right around me at the same time.
On a separate note, riding the bike has certainly improved my ability to spot cops WAY ahead too, so another useful driving skill to have under my belt. ;-)

Old August 26th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #24
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

everything that ally said...i pay way more attention to what's going on all around me...i look further ahead...giving myself more space, and an out...aside from riding, i feel that my driving has improved a lot, just by making a conscious effort to improve...not just being more aware, but practicing launching...shifting and braking faster and smoother, and just being more in control of the car, instead of just mindlessly pushing a pedal...but yeah, i'm convinced that everyone should experience the vulnerability of riding a motorcycle...at least once

Last futzed with by welcome2thedawn; August 27th, 2010 at 11:20 AM. Reason: apparently, i sometimes type the wrong word....crazy
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2010, 06:55 AM   #25
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250 (sold); 2008 Plasma Blue Ninja 250

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cager

Here you go Paulette
drowe531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #26
Scott1620
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r(sold), 2007 650R (sold), 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe531 View Post
Haha I like the quote that is included with that definition. "Some ignorant cager nearly hit me while I was biking. Idiot obviously wants a U-lock to the face."

As far as driving, yeah, I definitely am more aware at intersections and look out for fellow riders better as well...

Last futzed with by Scott1620; August 27th, 2010 at 07:09 AM. Reason: add quote
Scott1620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #27
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
I would like to add my vote to an increased awareness level and an ability to predict traffic a lot more accurately now. My frame of reference for grip has also significantly increased. Having always been into cars and going fast before I got a bike, I also tried to push the limits in the cage. These days, on the bike, the consequences aren't a mere slide, maybe off the road, a spin-out or some such nonsense. It's a guard rail impact or coming off a 1,000ft cliff with no airbags or crumple zones.

I don't feel that I need to push the limits anymore in a car, it's boring, it's easy, the risks aren't high enough. Everything is just stinted, censored and dulled from within a cage. I feel that I just know where the limits are, or can very accurately guess when the car is going to start sliding. I only play with the adhesion of a car's tires in winter, on the snow and ice, otherwise tires are too expensive. :P But drifting is fun!

But really, after having ridden a bike for the past 6 years, and the car only when the snow is really bad, say 20 days/year or so, when I get into a car now, I feel threatened. I no longer have escapes. I'm forced to endure an accident if one happens, and many options available to me as a rider to escape a bad situation just aren't available in a car. So I really don't like being stuck in a cage, ever. I'd rather sweat or freeze. I thoroughly despise cages. Unfortunately they are sometimes necessary.

So, the things I mentioned first might not be skills, but an increase in my frame of reference has definitely happened!

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #28
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I THOUGHT I had become a better driver..... that is until I started splitting lanes in my SUV. oops....
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #29
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
I THOUGHT I had become a better driver..... that is until I started splitting lanes in my SUV. oops....
Doc, I love it! That would really attract attention. I had visions of myself splitting lanes in my 3//4Ton Diesel Suburban. That beast has mass. Anyway, I got my MC license in 1958 and my car license in 1964. I have, knock wood, never had an accident or ticket--not that I shouldn't have for speeding. I do think that bicycle riding and motorcycle driving makes one more aware of one's surroundings and therefore a better driver.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #30
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I'm on the bell curve. I think I peaked a while ago.

Old September 10th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #31
Anteraan
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (Blue)

For me, it started with road cycling. That made me a better driver long before I ever got on a motorcycle. Not only did I have the vulnerability of a motorcycle (in terms of crash protection), but I also had a massive speed differential. For years, I have believed that intelligent road cyclists (there are some idiots out there, yes) were better drivers. I still do, and those skills translate directly onto the motorcycle.

I'm glad to hear that my fellow riders are picking up on these types of skills. We need them.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #32
cjack
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

My alertness, awareness, anticipation and reaction time have greatly improved.
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #33
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteraan View Post
For me, it started with road cycling. That made me a better driver long before I ever got on a motorcycle. Not only did I have the vulnerability of a motorcycle (in terms of crash protection), but I also had a massive speed differential. For years, I have believed that intelligent road cyclists (there are some idiots out there, yes) were better drivers. I still do, and those skills translate directly onto the motorcycle.

I'm glad to hear that my fellow riders are picking up on these types of skills. We need them.
You are spot on. Riding a bicycle is by far the best training a person can get. I have been riding motorcycles for 50 years and cars for 45. I got serious about bicycles six years ago and got back into motorcycling two years ago. In the past two years, I have logged almost 12,000 miles on the Ninja. I have logged 13650 on my six bicycles in the same time period. Obviously, I much prefer the freedom of two wheels. I totally agree with you--bicycling is the best training there is.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote