ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 12th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #1
btovar250r
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Brenda

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

New Here, Have some Tech Questions

So I just bought my fiance a 09 250r. 3 weeks ago we were leaving and the bike was stalling with open throttle. So we take it back and they find its the carbs or jets. They replaced the jets and now its 3 weeks later.....

Well I get the bike home it ran fine to me ( I have a R6) so I dont know how it should feel. But I get home and noticed that it idles roughly about 1k rpms but its not steady and is contantly moving from 1,000 - 1,300. I mess with the idle screw but it doesnt calm it. I also come to find out that the choke is not working...... I think when they took it apart they did not sit the choke cable correctly as when I engage it I can see the cable moves loosely.

So my question is do you think when they put the new jets in and cleaned the carbs it did something to the idleing?? Second how hard is it to reseat the choke cable??

I dont want to take it back to this dealer because they are screwing around and I dont want to waste anymore time. Thanks for reading my post and giving some feed back.
btovar250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2011, 02:26 AM   #2
kkim

the choke cable connects to the carbs at the top front to a sliding bar looking arrangement. make sure when you pull the choke lever you see the sliding bar move. If it doesn't, the cable isn't connected properly or is severely out of adjustment.

you can see the sliding bar in this photo directly above what is labeled "carb sync adjustment screw".

the varying idle is most likely due to dirty pilot jets that they probably did not clean when they went through cleaning the carbs. you will need to remove the carbs to clean them if they are indeed blocked.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65198

personally... I would take it back to the dealer and have them fix their eefff upps.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #3
btovar250r
ninjette.org newbie

Well they just put new pilot jets into the bike yesterday before I picked it up???

Old February 12th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #4
btovar250r
ninjette.org newbie

It looke like the choke cable is out of adjustment because when I pull on the cable by hand it still does not pull the sliding part to open up the choke. The thing is it was not a name dealer like Kawasaki or anything it was a dealer that sells used bikes and I have to keep on their ass just to do the simple things.

Old February 12th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #5
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by btovar250r View Post
Well they just put new pilot jets into the bike yesterday before I picked it up???
Sent you a PM...
KURT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #6
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by btovar250r View Post
they might have changed the jets themselves, but most likely did not clean out the passages that the jets screw into. like I said, I'd take it back to them to let them fix their poor workmanship. let the service manager or dealership owner know how disappointed you are with the quality of work you've had done there.

Your other options are to take it somewhere else and pay again to have the carbs cleaned properly or remove them and do it yourself.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Also, idle works better on these bikes when set closer to 1500 rpm when fully warm (knob on the left side of the bike).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote