ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old July 14th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #1
chef
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 1965 Honda S90 , 2010 Ninja 250,2012 Vespa LX 150(Yes,a vespa!)

Alpinestars or Dainese?

Greets from Bali.
After having several close calls on the scooter & a bad exhaust burn from a bike parked too close its time to invest in some good boots of limited availability here in Bali.
Any one using either the Alpinestar S MX2 or Dainese Quito? They both look to have good reviews & i can get them around 350 bills ( import items have heavy tax )
Almost entirely city riding,low speeds but even a bad road rash will mean time off work not to mention the pain.

Any comments will be a big help.

Matt
chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #2
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I don't know about those Dainese specifically, but you can't go wrong with either company for good foot protection. That is really pricey for the A*. Damn import tax is high.

Old July 17th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #3
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Both companies put out good quality products, so you should be fine with either.

Pick the one you like best and be happy with it!

Old July 17th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #4
SES2009
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR View Post
Both companies put out good quality products, so you should be fine with either.

Pick the one you like best and be happy with it!
I agree both companies make great products just keep in mind that the way they make their clothes will or will not fit your bodytype. Is there anywhere you can try on the items before purchasing? Having gear that will hold up in a spill is my first priority, being comfortable is my second...

Best of luck with your purchase
SES2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 03:42 AM   #5
chef
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 1965 Honda S90 , 2010 Ninja 250,2012 Vespa LX 150(Yes,a vespa!)

Thanks for the advice & i decided to take a chance & order without trying but went with the Alpinestars & they arrived in my office today,hehe, i feel like wearing them in the kitchen but they are too sexy & comfortable.
They feel pretty solid & am sure will offer at least a higher degree of safety than sneakers.
Great experience with Proriders shop in Jakarta.
Next on the list is some kevlar jeans when i go to Singapore in a few weeks then i can at least feel a bit more comfortable riding.
Have ordered the undertail from Sportisi so will post up some pics when installed.

Cheers,
Matt
chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 05:18 AM   #6
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

I have these RICHA KEVLAR JEANS but I think you will find them far too warm in Bali.

Steve

Old July 21st, 2011, 08:08 AM   #7
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

I don't know about you but I feel like my foot is always pressing down on the rear brake now that I have my boots on. I think I'm going to have my wife drive behind me around the block one day to tell me if my brake light is constantly on or not. I don't know if I should keep my foot on the pedal or slightly to the right of the pedal to avoid pushing down on it.
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 11:04 AM   #8
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Adjust the height of your brake pedal. It is mechanically adjustable to match your foot height. Do the same with your clutch pedal so you don't have to lift or lower your foot to slide it into place and it's not in the way.

Don't use your rear brake anyways unless you're on dirt.
I use the back brake when I see oil my front tire might slip in on the street sometimes.. when coming to a stop at a light.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 11:28 AM   #9
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
Adjust the height of your brake pedal. It is mechanically adjustable to match your foot height. Do the same with your clutch pedal so you don't have to lift or lower your foot to slide it into place and it's not in the way.

Don't use your rear brake anyways unless you're on dirt.
I use the back brake when I see oil my front tire might slip in on the street sometimes.. when coming to a stop at a light.
haha another thing I didn't know about...noob!!! Something to do and look into on Saturday when I have plenty of time

And I was taught at the MSF course to use both brakes so it's a habit for me now when coming to a stop
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 11:30 PM   #10
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
Greets from Bali.
After having several close calls on the scooter & a bad exhaust burn from a bike parked too close its time to invest in some good boots of limited availability here in Bali.
Any one using either the Alpinestar S MX2 or Dainese Quito? They both look to have good reviews & i can get them around 350 bills ( import items have heavy tax )
Almost entirely city riding,low speeds but even a bad road rash will mean time off work not to mention the pain.

Any comments will be a big help.

Matt
Not sure about the Dainese but I have the A* SMX-1 Riding shoes. From what I gathered, they are similar but the SMX-2 is higher up on the ankle. As far as comfort goes, if you get the right size, they are super comfortable and the buckle system is easy to use once setup correctly. I didnt like the lack of ankle protection on my SMX-1's so I ended up getting some 3/4 touring boots instead.

Is there a way to try some on for size before ordering? The A* SMX-1 that I had was a little on the narrow side for me.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:26 AM   #11
Pete22x
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '09 SE GREEN 250

I bought a pair of A*'s octane boots from revzilla and ended up returning them for a pair of dainese manaus's.. and boy.. these daineses are more comfortable than my 3 year old nike's.