ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 25th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #1
KidA001
ninjette.org member

Name: Bri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

New to Forum and New owner of '09 250 Ninja

Hey All,

I’m new to this forum and feel like my first post should at least be a hello before I start throwing questions at you…so hello! I just purchased a 2009 250 Ninja. The bike was repo’d from someone who didn’t pay the loan, and had 310 miles on it when I bought it…so basically a new bike for a significantly low cost.

Here are a some questions I have for ya’ll:

Break in period - I read a couple different threads on this, but I’m wondering if anyone has any specific advice or experience with this and could pass some knowledge on. Don’t go over xxxx rpms/speed…etc

Oil Changes – According to Kawasaki I don’t need an oil change till 3000mi, does anyone recommend doing one sooner? I’m a fan of doing things myself, is there a nice DIY thread that has info on an oil change?

Anything else that I should know? I’m using this bike to go to/from work, and it’s about 80miles total each way. My previous bike was a 1972 Honda CB450…I loved that bike but the upkeep on maintenance was far to often and eventually the motor **** a bearing and destroyed itself! Glad to have a newer, reliable bike!

Thanks in advance!
-Brian
KidA001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #2
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2009 R6

As far as break in, just don't stay at a single rpm for long periods of time. i.e. vary the load on the engine while riding. And stay well away from redline until 1000 miles.

For the oil changes. You need to have it done at 500 miles and 1000 miles for sure.
Did you get an owners manuel with the bike?

Old January 25th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #3
KidA001
ninjette.org member

Awesome, thanks for the info. I ride on the highway daily at the moment, what would you consider a long period of time at a specific RPM? I've been avoiding going over 70mph until 1000mi, is this legitimate?

I unfortunately did not get an owners manual, any threads with DIY Oil Change instructions? I'm sure I can figure it out myself as it's pretty simple, but it's nice to read up on it first.

Old January 25th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #4
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

I would pretty much just constantly accelerate and decelerate when I was riding. On the interstate, I would stay around between 55 and 60. I'm not sure what would be considered "a long time". That's why I just constantly varied my throttle. And I'm right at 8000 miles now and the bike runs perfect. Just did my 7500 mile service and my valves were all still well within spec. So apparently something was done right.

This is a great DYI for changing your oil. Definitely the most in-depth video log of an oil change you will find.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old January 25th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #5
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

where in CA are you located? weve got a lot of members here in CA. Im in Norcal in between Chico and Sacramento, and there are a lot of guys in the bay, and socal.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #6
KidA001
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the tips and the link to the video, exactly what I was looking for. Just out of curiosity, do you know why having variable vs. constant RPMs is better for the engine during the break in period?

@massacremasses - I'm in the bay area, how can I link up with a group out here?

Old January 26th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #7
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

Not really sure. I just know that that's pretty much what any engine wants when it's breaking in.

Old January 26th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #8
KidA001
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoucet93 View Post
Not really sure. I just know that that's pretty much what any engine wants when it's breaking in.
Well how do you know that?!

Just looking for some technical reasons behind the theory so I can understand it

Old January 26th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #9
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA001 View Post
Well how do you know that?!

Just looking for some technical reasons behind the theory so I can understand it
Experience from being around cars from a very early age. Honestly, I have no real explanation for it. It was just always the way that was I was told was correct. If you read through the break-in threads on this site, they all say basically the same thing. So yeah, I don't have a real scientific reason for it. It's just the way I was always told to do it and it seems to be working so far.

Old January 26th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #10
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

you can check here for people in your area.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #11
killermase
ninjette.org member

Name: Chuck

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2504

I'm new as well and asked some folks about the break-in and told me that was nonsense. Basically don't redline the bike. Shift the bike when necessary. I'm almost at 1000 miles and babied it until about 600 miles. After I did my 600 mile inspection (myself btw) I ride it like I want. I tend to shift around 6 or 7k rpms.

Did you do your 600 mi inspection yet? There's a great DIY on the board, just do a search on "600 mile inspection." I did not see anything about all these oil changes. Just one at 600 and every 3000 miles thereafter. Depending on how much you ride will dictate your oil changes.
killermase is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #12
KidA001
ninjette.org member

Hey @killermase - thanks for the info.

I searched 600 mile inspection but didn't find and concrete DIY threads, just lots of people talking about it. Do you have a link for a walkthrough or checklist of things to check? The best I found was this: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Service_Schedule which is pretty good now that I think of it.

Any idea what it costs to have the dealership do the 600mi inspection?

Old January 26th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #13
Talon
ninjette.org member

Name: Doug

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2012 ninja 650

Here in so-cal I took it to the shop i bought my bike at, the inspection and oil change ran me $125.

I was a little bad and missed the 600 mile inspection by about 200 before i could take it in, but I was told no harm no foul and my '12 is still running well.
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #14
killermase
ninjette.org member

Name: Chuck

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2504

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA001 View Post
Hey @killermase - thanks for the info.

I searched 600 mile inspection but didn't find and concrete DIY threads, just lots of people talking about it. Do you have a link for a walkthrough or checklist of things to check? The best I found was this: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Service_Schedule which is pretty good now that I think of it.

Any idea what it costs to have the dealership do the 600mi inspection?
Here you go - http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19368. There's a doc with pics. If you have the 250 manual you can reference various sections for more detail. It was basically tightening a bunch of screws (if they needed it), super easy. I checked everything and had no issues except needing to add more antifreeze and adjust my rear brake light. Also it will give you a chance to take off the fairings and figure out where everything is on your bike. And last, you'll save about $150 doing it yourself to put towards other bike crap, lol.
killermase is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #15
KidA001
ninjette.org member

Thank you! Going to be doing this tomorrow morning along with detailing my bike