ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:20 PM   #1
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Name: LMG

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja EX250J

new girl on the block...

i've been a member for a while, lurking here and there and just plain curious about the ninja 250. i've always loved everything two wheeled and i find myself choosing to get from point a to point b via bicycle, vespa or foot (ok, maybe the subway when its snowing). having a motorcycle is going to be a great adventure, i can't wait to become good enough to hit the track (shhh, please don't tell my husband).

so i finally purchased a 2009 ninja 250 in black. got it for $3500 and only 270 miles on the speedo, a steal if you ask me. i want to thank everyone on on this board for posting mod's, reviewing parts and clothing, tips on riding technique...everything. that being said, UPS has it's work cut out for them this week. i've got the following things arriving this week:

1. Laminix Film for headlight
2. SSR Exhaust Hanger
3. SSR Race Gas Cap
4. Pirelli MT-75 120/80-16 rear
5. Pirelli MT-75 100/80-16 front
6. Roaring Toyz lowering kit
7. Corbin seat
8. TechSpec Snake Skin grip pads
9. Graphic Language reflective stickers

right now i'm looking only to modify for comfort and safety, the extra hp's can come later. most imortantly i need to get the bike lower. i can get my foot on the floor to stop and go but will have to hop off of it to park hence the tires, seat, lowering kit. from my cycling experience, i know that you should feel as balanced/natural as possible at the three contact points (hands, feet and tush). so my next mod's will be rearsets, grips and levers.

now the good stuff...i purchased my clothing during the off season:

1. Alpinestars Stella Torre boot
2. Alpinestars leather jacket
3. Rev'it Turbine textile jacket
4. Alpinestars Stella Verve Denim pants
5. Bohn underarmor
6. Daytona Ladystar boots (on order)
7. Alpinestars touring kidney belt
8. Gloves - ???? right now i have alpinestars stella gp plus not convinced with them yet so they may be going back

unfortunately it's raining outside and i feel like standing over her with my golf umbrella all night. it's killing me. oh, and i'll get some pic's up as soon as it stops raining.
petiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:29 PM   #2
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Welcome petiteninja

Quote:
having a motorcycle is going to be a great adventure
Yes it is. You have a great start with all the right gear. May I suggest also taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation beginners course.

Can't wait to see the photos.

Jeff
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Sounds like you've hit the ground running. Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy you new ninjette! If you haven't yet, I strongly suggest the MSF and some of the suggested reading (Total Control, Twist of the Wrist, Proficient Motorcycling, etc). Knowledge is power!

Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:32 PM   #4
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

Wow. You did get a good deal, and it looks like you did your research and got a Great start on gear on mods! Congrats and looking forward to the Pics!
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:33 PM   #5
kkim

those 16" tires aren't going to fit very well on the 17" rims.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:36 PM   #6
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
Welcome petiteninja

Yes it is. You have a great start with all the right gear. May I suggest also taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation beginners course.

Can't wait to see the photos.

Jeff
did it back in 2008. i have a vespa 150 but i'm thinking about calling my old instructor for a couple of private lessons.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:36 PM   #7
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
those 16" tires aren't going to fit very well on the 17" rims.
You beat me to it. I was going to say the exact same thing.
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:41 PM   #8
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betlog View Post
You beat me to it. I was going to say the exact same thing.
thanks for the heads up, got the spec's off the pre-gen thread. dangit.

could you suggest something else for me? i wonder if the MT-75's come in 17's...google is my friend

Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:44 PM   #9
kkim

I would recommend Bridgestone bt-45 or Pirelli sport demons in the stock tire sizes.

Why is it that you feel you need to change the tires out anyway?

Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:52 PM   #10
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I would recommend Bridgestone bt-45 or Pirelli sport demons in the stock tire sizes.

Why is it that you feel you need to change the tires out anyway?
to lower the bike, every millimeter counts for me. also, i'll be riding in the backroads of connecticut where we have asphalt roads and gravel driveways. the sport demons will inherently raise the bike. i'm not familiar with the bridgestones, maybe they'll have something in a smaller circumference.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:56 PM   #11
kkim

what's your inseam measurement?

Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:15 PM   #12
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
26.5" barefoot, just don't ask me how much i weigh...

hey so, your the tire guy right? would it be problematic to mix-match brands? ie, pirelli rear and bt-45 front? do the tread patterns/composite material need to match?

Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:34 PM   #13
kkim

with your inseam, just don't expect to get the bike low enough to flat foot it with 2 feet when on the bike. instead of the corbin seat, you might consider reshaping the stock seat by cutting down/reshaping the foam up front.

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/modify_3.htm

with the tires, you can mismatch/mix them, but I'm a believer of using the same brand/model on the front/back as a matching set. why would you want to mix them anyway?

also, when using lowering links, I wouldn't recommend lowering the bike more that 1.5" even if the links provide you more than that. people have had the rear wheel wear through the under fender liner when lowered too much and in one case, ripped the wiring out which stopped the bike dead in it's tracks.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:55 PM   #14
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
with your inseam, just don't expect to get the bike low enough to flat foot it with 2 feet when on the bike. instead of the corbin seat, you might consider reshaping the stock seat by cutting down/reshaping the foam up front.

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/modify_3.htm

with the tires, you can mismatch/mix them, but I'm a believer of using the same brand/model on the front/back as a matching set. why would you want to mix them anyway?

also, when using lowering links, I wouldn't recommend lowering the bike more that 1.5" even if the links provide you more than that. people have had the rear wheel wear through the under fender liner when lowered too much and in one case, ripped the wiring out which stopped the bike dead in it's tracks.
thanks for all the suggestions kkim, i really appreciate it.

i'm having corbin narrow up the nose to fit my inseam better. hopefully we can get it right asap, they're aware of my needs and have been very helpful.

yeah i've heard of people bottoming out at bumps/driveways because their bike was too low. I also know to set the preload appropriately, avoid riding two up and all the mishaps of installing lowering links. in fact the lowering kit is my last resort, i want to avoid tinkering with the suspension/wheelbase/trail/rake until i become a better motorcyclist. i could live with the existing height, but an inch would help with my confidence.

as far as the tires go, a desperate person might purchase what is on the shelf at their local dealer rather than wait for a complete set of tires. or maybe it's the other way around, affordability. like you, i intend to have a surplus of tires at arms reach.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:05 PM   #15
kkim

cool... you seem well researched on what is ahead for you. good times, for sure.

if you have more questions, feel free to ask. as you must know by now, most here are very helpful and don't mind helping each other out when we can.

have fun, ride safe.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:43 PM   #16
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
cool... you seem well researched on what is ahead for you. good times, for sure.

if you have more questions, feel free to ask. as you must know by now, most here are very helpful and don't mind helping each other out when we can.

have fun, ride safe.

hey kelly, i was out in kauai after hurricane iniki hit your island. i came out wih a few friends and rebuilt three homes outside of anahola bay with habitat for humanity. i remember my clothes being stained red, hiking the na'pali coast and watching the sunset in hanalei bay. do they still have that single campsite on the coast of na'pali? i gotta take my son out there and teach him how to surf...and build homes.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 11:11 PM   #17
kkim

thanks to you and friends for help after iniki. Lord knows the island needed it.

only camping I know of on the napali coast is in kalalau valley... is that where?

come visit when you have the chance.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:30 AM   #18
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Welcome from one little rider to another! Sounds like you've done your research so far. Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help

Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:44 AM   #19
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:03 PM   #20
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

I feel your pain about needing to lower a bike, I am short 5'6" but have a very short inseam around 28". But I have never lowered the bike due to when you lower a bike unless it is done correctly by a professional you end up changing the bikes geometry. I have ridden everything from a dual sport to my SV ect where I can only touch with one tiptoe sitting regular on the bike to not being able to touch down at all on the dual sport. You dont need to be able to touch sitting, when you come to a stoplight just scoot your butt off to the side and put down one leg thats all you really need. and yes I have ridden in stop and go traffice rush hour like this, it can be a pain but you get used to it.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #21
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Actually, if we had all your measurements we could figure out wind resistence and a number of other factors that go along with riding a motorcycle.

Pictures would help with analyzing the whole package.

Old March 24th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #22
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Oh CC...

Old March 24th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #23
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

i put my bike in a garage for a couple days because it was raining and windy here so the pic's will have to wait. i'm bringing it into a shop tomorrow to get the gas gauge fixed, oil and filter changed, chain cleaned and inspected for emissions. i hate going to mechanics...i can't wait to get my own tools and a stand.

i will probably have them install the lowering kit (including risers) but only lower the rear by 1" for now. my question is, when they install the risers, how will i be able to tell that they raised/dropped the forks properly...or should i even have them do that? i really don't want my bike to be twitchy because this retrofit is primarily for comfort. and i'm really hesitant to have these guys install this kit. i went into the shop last week so i could do a little research for a corbin seat. I sat on their SE Green bike, and it fit well but the salesperson said that the ninja "can't not be lowered, their is no kit made for this"...WHAT?!?!?!!! i gave him the most incrediously and blank look, took his card and walked out.

i've recieved my SSR gas cap and exhaust hanger bracket, they are beautiful. i have to be careful not to drop it, the anodized finish looks delicate. i hope this gas cap assembly will alleviate the expanding gas issue/hissing noise on our black gas tanks. the threads are machined tight and it's only 5 ounces. the exhaust hanger bracket is simple and indiscreet and weighs only 2.5 ounces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSR Gas Cap Assembly.jpg (70.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg SSR Gas Cap underside.jpg (56.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg SSR Gas Cap and Base.jpg (48.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg SSR Exhaust Hanger.jpg (39.8 KB, 5 views)

Old March 24th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #24
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteninja View Post
i put my bike in a garage for a couple days because it was raining and windy here so the pic's will have to wait. i'm bringing it into a shop tomorrow to get the gas gauge fixed, oil and filter changed, chain cleaned and inspected for emissions. i hate going to mechanics...i can't wait to get my own tools and a stand.

i will probably have them install the lowering kit (including risers) but only lower the rear by 1" for now. my question is, when they install the risers, how will i be able to tell that they raised/dropped the forks properly...or should i even have them do that? i really don't want my bike to be twitchy because this retrofit is primarily for comfort. and i'm really hesitant to have these guys install this kit. i went into the shop last week so i could do a little research for a corbin seat. I sat on their SE Green bike, and it fit well but the salesperson said that the ninja "can't not be lowered, their is no kit made for this"...WHAT?!?!?!!! i gave him the most incrediously and blank look, took his card and walked out.

i've recieved my SSR gas cap and exhaust hanger bracket, they are beautiful. i have to be careful not to drop it, the anodized finish looks delicate. i hope this gas cap assembly will alleviate the expanding gas issue/hissing noise on our black gas tanks. the threads are machined tight and it's only 5 ounces. the exhaust hanger bracket is simple and indiscreet and weighs only 2.5 ounces.
Sweet. If you don't mind, can you PM me where you got these and the price?
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #25
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Welcome Petiteninja - sounds like you have been doing your home work and have a lot of things figured out. We're glad to have you with us.

Now about CC Cowboy (aka ) he is usually harmless but please don't encourage him. Kind of like that relative we all have and try to ignore .

All said I'm sure you've realized we have a great site here and love to help other Ninja owners out in any way we can.

Have fun and ride safe.

Old March 24th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #26
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
Welcome Petiteninja - sounds like you have been doing your home work and have a lot of things figured out. We're glad to have you with us.

Now about CC Cowboy (aka ) he is usually harmless but please don't encourage him. Kind of like that relative we all have and try to ignore .

All said I'm sure you've realized we have a great site here and love to help other Ninja owners out in any way we can.

Have fun and ride safe.
no harm done. in fact, when another guy flirts with me it makes my husband feel like a lucky man.

soooo, for what it's worth (when's the last time you haven't seen that as an acronym?) let's just keep this all about the bikes...

Old March 24th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #27
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Only bad thing about that gas cap is that it is not locking, so someone can mess with your fuel or steal it.

Old March 24th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #28
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Only bad thing about that gas cap is that it is not locking, so someone can mess with your fuel or steal it.
A lot of cars don't have locking fuel doors, and they seem to be just fine. I would think if someone is enough of a scumbag to steal gas out of another vehicle, then I wouldn't put it past them to steal the whole vehicle.

Old March 24th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #29
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

if the gas cap is air tight to a psi higher than the standard cap is rated, wont the bike starve for fuel and stall? Are any other vents being put on the tank?

I had this problem with my water bottle i keep sipping water from until i started loosening the cap a a little bit to let air in while i take sips. I'm guessing it would be the same principle.

Old March 24th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #30
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
A lot of cars don't have locking fuel doors, and they seem to be just fine. I would think if someone is enough of a scumbag to steal gas out of another vehicle, then I wouldn't put it past them to steal the whole vehicle.
I am not as concerned with someone stealing the fuel as I am with someone unscrewing the cap and putting something in the tank..like salt/sugar ect. You know how people love to mess with bikes. Not to mention they can unscrew the cap and steal/throw it far.

Old March 24th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #31
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeified View Post
if the gas cap is air tight to a psi higher than the standard cap is rated, wont the bike starve for fuel and stall? Are any other vents being put on the tank?

I had this problem with my water bottle i keep sipping water from until i started loosening the cap a a little bit to let air in while i take sips. I'm guessing it would be the same principle.
yep. i have this problem all the time with my vespa. the gas actually creates so much pressure that it creates a vacuum. it only happens when the tank is more than 3/4 full. all i gotta do is release the cap to let air in OR fill my tank only 7/8 full. i'm not to worried about it though, this gas cap is made for race bikes so i'm sure they did a little bit of R&D.

and for a dude to steal all 4.8 gallons of my gas. man. now that's desperation. guy needs it that bad he can take it. as far as putting something in my tank, i'm not worried about it.

Old March 24th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #32
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteninja View Post
yep. i have this problem all the time with my vespa. the gas actually creates so much pressure that it creates a vacuum. it only happens when the tank is more than 3/4 full. all i gotta do is release the cap to let air in OR fill my tank only 7/8 full. i'm not to worried about it though, this gas cap is made for race bikes so i'm sure they did a little bit of R&D.

and for a dude to steal all 4.8 gallons of my gas. man. now that's desperation. guy needs it that bad he can take it. as far as putting something in my tank, i'm not worried about it.
im not sure its an issue of gas creating pressure that it creates a vacum. i think its an issue of displacement, any fluid really would cause the same problem. When the tank is dripped dry of gas (i believe the bike is gravity fed, no fuel pump) the volume of gas that is displaced must be replaced by something in order to avoid vacum and stalling... i.e. air. I like this gas cap, i wonder if drilling a pin sized hole would be beneficial? Could dirt or moisture contaminate the gasoline? I'm sick of the tank wine too and would like to solve the problem.

Old March 24th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #33
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
I'm sick of the tank wine too and would like to solve the problem.
There's a thread on kawaiforums about drilling out the vent holes in the stock gas cap to put a stop to that.

Old March 24th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #34
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
im not sure its an issue of gas creating pressure that it creates a vacum. i think its an issue of displacement, any fluid really would cause the same problem. When the tank is dripped dry of gas (i believe the bike is gravity fed, no fuel pump) the volume of gas that is displaced must be replaced by something in order to avoid vacum and stalling... i.e. air. I like this gas cap, i wonder if drilling a pin sized hole would be beneficial? Could dirt or moisture contaminate the gasoline? I'm sick of the tank wine too and would like to solve the problem.

http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r...e-beeping.html

this should clear things up, third line down in written in bold. according to the poster it should take care of your whining...ignore the rest of the thread it gets messy.

this following thread should clarify my issue i have with my vespa:

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic86

Old March 24th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #35
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Well, where are the pics of you & the bike???
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #36
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

petitninja, i havn't clicked on the link yet so i dont know what to expect. but is there any risk of introducing atmospheric dirt/pollen/dust into the fuel mixture by drilling out the cap?

Old March 30th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #37
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Petiteninja, Would a pair of boots with slightly higher heels help? Just a thought. Welcome aboard.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #38
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

Welcome from another NY'er... looking forward to pics of the bike.

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #39
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Petiteninja, Would a pair of boots with slightly higher heels help? Just a thought. Welcome aboard.
it will help, i actually have a pair of daytona ladystars on order that should be arriving in april. they add about an inch and a half to your sole.

Old March 30th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #40
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn99Kawi View Post
Welcome from another NY'er... looking forward to pics of the bike.
thanks for the welcome...are you loving this rain or what? it's getting on my last nerve.