ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Propper header gasket/ collar installation?

Does anyone happen to have a picture of how their header gaskets look or know how I should install them? The way I see them online the 2 piece collar that sits inside of the gasket move when I move them with my hand.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #2
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

The gasket is the copper ring...nothing goes inside that.

Here's how you assemble it:

1. use superglue to glue the copper ring to the engine. If you don't have CA glue, you can just stick it there with heavy grease. This will save you many frustrated attempts of it falling our during reassembly.

2. Put the big collars (clamps) on the header.

3. Use masking tape to tape the small 2-piece flanged collars together around the header, so they're now easy to handle 1-piece collars. The wide, flanged side goes against the big clamp and the smaller side will go against the rim of the header pipe.

4. Put the header in place against the copper gaskets

5. Bolt it together. The masking tape will be gone after a few minutes of riding.

You just saved hours of frustration. (Edit: well, you would have, if you hadn't already tried it before asking. )

And just be glad that when you removed the header, the studs weren't rusted to the nuts so much that they snapped in half, inside the engine. Worst experience of my life, that was.

Old July 24th, 2012, 03:48 AM   #3
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
The gasket is the copper ring...nothing goes inside that.
Ah, I meant the clamps/ holders/ whatever those holders are called. I've put it together as you said and it seems to have fit

Hopefully I won't have to change anything when I finally test my bike out.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote