Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Notices

Old May 26th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #1
shane liberty
ninjette.org member

Name: Shane

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

TWF Racing Cartridges.

Ok so I pulled the trigger since no one else was willing to send their forks over to Zoran. I gave him my front end and I got back a set of GSXR cartridges with custom milled GSXR styled looking fork caps:

I'm spending my off season of racing touring with the CVMA Road Crew so I got my forks back just in time for the WERA West round at Autoclub Speedway. I'd never raced there and my last track day was 5 years ago on my speed triple. I didn't want to pay $250 for the track day before the race so I only got two 4 lap practice sessions before we started racing.

My left fork does compression now and my right does rebound.

I didn't get much practice but AP Moto was there to help me make any changes needed and after only a single turn to add some rebound, they worked great.

The forks worked phenomenally. I had fantastic feel, no excessive dive under braking and the front tire felt planted. I was even able to make mid-corner line corrections without feeling like the front was going to tuck.

I was able to grab a 1st and two 2nd place spots out of my 3 races. I got the bike down into the :49s with a best of 49.33 in the last race and had some great battles with the FLAP boys. If you're looking to upgrade your forks, TWF now has everything they need to give you turn key cartridges. Alternatively, you can contact AP Moto and Andy will be more than happy to set you up with some Andreani's for your ninja

Great day of racing and a great way to test out the new setup. I love my new forks. BIG Thanks to AP Motoarts for the race team support and help in the pits.

shane liberty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Nice! How much it set you back? You reused your old springs?

Old May 27th, 2014, 06:10 AM   #3
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

that is very cool, and very cool to have another option. the Andreani carts are like what $700 or so plus install? I would imagine the suzuki carts would be a reasonable option at say $500 installed or under.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2014, 09:03 AM   #4
shane liberty
ninjette.org member

I'm not 100% sure what he will be charging for the new product. I recommend giving him a call if you're seriously thinking about trying a set.

Zoran Vujasinovic (775) 786-4881

Old May 27th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #5
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
how does that compare to the racetech emulators?

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2014, 10:39 AM   #6
simook
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Any links for those of us who want to read more about this?
- OMRRA Racer #83 -
-- OMRRA Media Group Editor/Producer --
simook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #7
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

FYI racetech emulators do just that, "emulate" the function of a cartridge fork. They do this by removing the damper rod ability to resist fluid flow through the compression orifices and then place shim with adjustable pretension over the hole in the top of the damper rod.

This allows the shim to be adjusted in the nature in which it allows fluid to flow through the tube during the stroke. The upside is cost, ability to retrofit to damper rod forks, somewhat separation of compression and rebound. Compression with shim, rebound with fluid through orifice still.

A true cartridge has shim stacks for both rebound and compression and you can then tune these shim stacks to behave in almost exactly the way that you want. In addition the adjusters are mounted externally to allow for quick adjustment (emulators must me removed and oil changed for rebound).

These take an existing cartridge and modify it for use in the ninjette housings. One leg compression one leg rebound since there no lower adjustment capability in the lower for leg outers.

Old May 27th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #8
shane liberty
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
how does that compare to the racetech emulators?
I had emulators and springs in the forks before. I played with geometry on the bike a little and tried to balance out the feel front to back considering I had a built JRi Shock in the rear. I have the bike sitting tall for more ground clearance.

Racing at Chuckwalla the front end was good and gave good feedback. The change to cartridges has been substantial though. The forks "feel" thicker or more solid. The front tire give me a lot more feedback. The front end feels more stable under trail braking and is rock solid when transitioning from upright to full lean. There is a hand-off between the suspension and the chassis when the bike goes to full lean and that transition can be a little unsettling when your suspension isn't dialed. You can ride around it no problem but the luxury of having no issue at all is very nice.

I am planning to race at Buttonwillow in a few weeks so I will keep you posted on how it does on a rough track.

For the cost cutting effect the Emulators are still a good choice. If you're already at the front of the pack in a race and tenths matter, I would consider going with the cartridges. If you're just cruising around town or you're practicing on a track day, they are not mandatory. Really it's just about finding any possible advantage when you're fighting for a 1st place, which I'm always trying for at CVMA or anywhere else I land.

P.S. I had my front forks showing only 8mm above the triple clamp and my rear has been raised a lot. I have ride height adjustment in the back so if you have a GSXR shock thing and run the cartridges you will have to figure out your geometry first before you can benefit from a better front end. Zoran has extended my forks +5mm now so I've slid my forks up to have 13mm showing, which I believe is the stock height. Keep in mind, though, the tail is higher. I will post up my geometry setup when I get the bike back if anyone wants to know the height of my rear. Let me know if anyone cares about such a thing and I will post it.

Old May 27th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i'm curious to know your rear height

Old May 27th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #10
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane liberty View Post
I had emulators and springs in the forks before. I played with geometry on the bike a little and tried to balance out the feel front to back considering I had a built JRi Shock in the rear. I have the bike sitting tall for more ground clearance.

Racing at Chuckwalla the front end was good and gave good feedback. The change to cartridges has been substantial though. The forks "feel" thicker or more solid. The front tire give me a lot more feedback. The front end feels more stable under trail braking and is rock solid when transitioning from upright to full lean. There is a hand-off between the suspension and the chassis when the bike goes to full lean and that transition can be a little unsettling when your suspension isn't dialed. You can ride around it no problem but the luxury of having no issue at all is very nice.

I am planning to race at Buttonwillow in a few weeks so I will keep you posted on how it does on a rough track.

For the cost cutting effect the Emulators are still a good choice. If you're already at the front of the pack in a race and tenths matter, I would consider going with the cartridges. If you're just cruising around town or you're practicing on a track day, they are not mandatory. Really it's just about finding any possible advantage when you're fighting for a 1st place, which I'm always trying for at CVMA or anywhere else I land.

P.S. I had my front forks showing only 8mm above the triple clamp and my rear has been raised a lot. I have ride height adjustment in the back so if you have a GSXR shock thing and run the cartridges you will have to figure out your geometry first before you can benefit from a better front end. Zoran has extended my forks +5mm now so I've slid my forks up to have 13mm showing, which I believe is the stock height. Keep in mind, though, the tail is higher. I will post up my geometry setup when I get the bike back if anyone wants to know the height of my rear. Let me know if anyone cares about such a thing and I will post it.
I have the GSXR shock with the dogbones that @Rexbo made, so my ride height is stock all around right now. I would like to raise it a little, but not sure how to do the rear. But with the new springs(for my weight) maybe it will offer better ground clearance now.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old May 27th, 2014, 03:44 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
I have the GSXR shock with the dogbones that @Rexbo made, so my ride height is stock all around right now. I would like to raise it a little, but not sure how to do the rear. But with the new springs(for my weight) maybe it will offer better ground clearance now.
mcmaster now sells high psi rod-end bearing turnbuckle kits. buy two and replace your plate dog bones with the adjustable turnbuckle linkage. viola

Old May 27th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #12
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

very cool, would be interested in knowing price. I am not in the market any time soon so I don't want to bother someone for the sake of my curiosity. someone buy some and let me know lol

Old May 27th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #13
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
mcmaster now sells high psi rod-end bearing turnbuckle kits. buy two and replace your plate dog bones with the adjustable turnbuckle linkage. viola
got a link?

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old June 3rd, 2014, 03:12 PM   #14
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

So what fork oil and weight are you running now with that setup? What's your air gap?

I know with Dean's cartridges he runs 2.5W (IIRC)
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote