ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 25th, 2013, 02:42 AM   #1
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Name: Melashi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 StreetFighter ~~~~ 2005 KTM 450 EXC

Oil leak....

Ok, so i haven't been on here for a while! So hello to everyone again. A Lot has happend. Im playing college soccer (freshman), and obviously been busy with school too... Tore my ACL and meniscus, got surgery, and finally after 3 months i am allowed to ride my Ninjette... I decided to do an oil change, which i have done many times. This time i did it with the same amount i usually put (2 quarts). I take it for a one hour ride and park it. Everything seems to be fine and its running strong! I come back and the oil is leaking, but not from where the drain plug is. Its coming from the kickstand and oil... I did a quick search, and it seems to be i over filled it with oil when i did the oil change and its leaking from the air intake tube or something. My question is, do i let it leak by itself until it reaches the level it should be at? Should i be checking the airbox? should i be draining it my self until it reaches the proper level? You will see in the picture its leaking from 3 spots: the kick stand, chain, and a little to the left of the drain plug. It isn't coming from the engine or drain plug, i checked all around it!

I have done an oil change twice before and this never happened... Unless i just didn't notice it... FYI i had full synthetic and went to partial synthetic since i will only be here for a month and wanted to ride it but was to scared to ride it without an oil change (sitting for like 4 and a half months). It was cheaper, im going back to full synthetic in summer when i get back for the break, since its a longer break. But i dont think that has anything to do with the problem lol

Pictures of my left knee (you see it as my right knee), you can see that it was literally a tennis ball before surgery. And of course the oil leaking picture as well as an updated pic of my bike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1381622104709.jpg (69.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2013-12-20-03-14-19_1.jpg (105.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2255.jpg (99.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2684.jpg (62.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2841.jpg (115.3 KB, 15 views)

Old December 25th, 2013, 06:14 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Merry Christmas, Mo !!!

Sad to see the condition of your knee...

You can extract oil via the port that you use to fill up.
You can use a plastic transparent hose and suck it with your mouth or you can use the sprayer mechanism from a spray bottle, inserting the straw deep into the port and collecting the oil outside.

You will need to level the bike on both tires in order to read the correct level in the visor.

Get better !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #3
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

I believe in the manual the amount of oil you add without and with a filter change are 1.4L and 1.7L respectively.
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

However much you add, it's still important to check the level correctly in the oil sight glass.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #5
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Merry Christmas, Mo !!!

Sad to see the condition of your knee...

You can extract oil via the port that you use to fill up.
You can use a plastic transparent hose and suck it with your mouth or you can use the sprayer mechanism from a spray bottle, inserting the straw deep into the port and collecting the oil outside.

You will need to level the bike on both tires in order to read the correct level in the visor.

Get better !!!
Motofool! I missed you! Merry Christmas to you too!

I tried doing the spray thing... I could not get it far in enough to even reach the oil haha. I am about to just drain some from the plug, but i need to know if that is a good idea first! I dont want to regret what i do. Should i be worried about the airbox?

Fyi, i just remembered that i did this oil change different... I completely forgot to drain the oil from the plug. I removed the oil from removing the filter. Thats still fine right? Either way all the oil drained?

Edit:
Nvm i think there was still a lot of oil in there since i did not drain the oil from the plug as well. Looks like i have to get 2 new quarts and drain it the proper way because i basically have 2 oils mixed in there, (old full synthetic and new partial synthetic oil)... God im such an idiot! How could i forget to drain the plug lol. Anyways i think there might be oil in my aribox from riding past 8k rpm and it sucked in there (what i read). No where is open to by the 2 quarts so i will be waiting till tomorrow.

Old December 25th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletmo View Post
Motofool! I missed you! Merry Christmas to you too!

Nvm i think there was still a lot of oil in there since i did not drain the oil from the plug as well. Looks like i have to get 2 new quarts and drain it the proper way because i basically have 2 oils mixed in there, (old full synthetic and new partial synthetic oil).......
Thanks !!!

Mixing both oils is not the end of the world, especially if you plan on replacing everything again soon.
Besides, both types of oil are fully compatible.

Yes, you can just let some drain from the plug into a clean container and then re-use that one to reach the proper level if needed.

I am not sure how you could drain the airbox in the new-gen; the pre-gen has a plugged hose for that purpose.

Don't feel bad, we all do foolish mistakes like that.
Ask your doctor when you could start riding a bicycle and swimming, both are great for your knee's full recovery.

Old December 25th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #7
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Quote:
Thanks !!!

Mixing both oils is not the end of the world, especially if you plan on replacing everything again soon.
Besides, both types of oil are fully compatible.

Yes, you can just let some drain from the plug into a clean container and then re-use that one to reach the proper level if needed.

I am not sure how you could drain the airbox in the new-gen; the pre-gen has a plugged hose for that purpose.

Don't feel bad, we all do foolish mistakes like that.
Ask your doctor when you could start riding a bicycle and swimming, both are great for your knee's full recovery.
Ok thats even better, although i will still be draining the whole thing soon. Ill just drain some for now until next week to where i can go to my uncles shop and get some Rotella 10w40 non energy conserving oil for free! So for now i will level it out and ride it until monday. Then just do it all over again the right way next week haha. And okay i will be checking the airbox manually then, just to be safe.

I am about 11 weeks post op now and already been biking! almost cleared to run! Thanks for the help once again!

Old December 25th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
........I am about 11 weeks post op now and already been biking! almost cleared to run! Thanks for the help once again!
That is great, but I would refrain from running yet: too much impact loads on the knee too soon.
Give it time to heal more.

You are welcome

Old December 25th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #9
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Quote:
That is great, but I would refrain from running yet: too much impact loads on the knee too soon.
Give it time to heal more.

You are welcome
Yes of course! I wont be running until i get cleared by the team doctor,also my team trainer will be guiding me through it like he has been! I am in good hands thank god!

Old January 6th, 2014, 05:11 PM   #10
skilletmo
InfoWhore

To anyone with the same problem i had,

Problem was fixed! I re did the whole oil change with new oil. Drained it right this time You will notice it will still leak even after you do it in many spots around your bike. This is because it got in your airbox and the vent is spraying it all over the bottom of the bikes metals (kickstand,chain, engine). Open your airbox and if you have a foam air filter, then squeeze it with rags and get as much oil out or just buy a new one (13$) at a local dealer. Make sure you get a rag and clean as much as you can in the airbox too. There will be alot of oil on the sides, just wipe it clean. Also clean the vent buy spraying air into it or just wiping the tip ever few days. After about 2 weeks it finally stopped leaking, it would get smaller and smaller every day! My oil level is perfect and no leaks 2 weeks later! Hope this helps for the dummies like me haha.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 6th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
To anyone with the same problem i had,

Old January 6th, 2014, 10:00 PM   #12
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I don't know much about bikes but I know you have sexy legs. Anyways, congrats on getting it fixed and hopefully your knee is on the mend!
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #13
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
I don't know much about bikes but I know you have sexy legs. Anyways, congrats on getting it fixed and hopefully your knee is on the mend!
Dont know if this was sarcasim or not, but ill take it

Old October 24th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #14
skilletmo
InfoWhore

I know this is late but i decided to wait till the next oil change so the over flowed oil can all come out. I did my oil change about a month ago and then waited a month (this week) to change the air filter with a new stock one (12$). I cleaned the air box of all the random stuff inside and put the new on oiled up in there. Looks and feels muchhh better. I'd recommend the same procedure to anyone else who accidentally did this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0552.jpg (64.0 KB, 1 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.