ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 30th, 2015, 11:42 AM   #1
MFNcody
ninjette.org member

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 1990 Ninja 250

I think I've had enough of this bike. (tech/G.I.)

I posted most of my general circumstances in my 'Pretty much new ninja nut von Chicago land' https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=143037 thread so there's some background i'm skipping here but just to get to the point, I got my bike all back together (omitting the non-critical body pieces) after crashing and everything is more or less functional again.

Today, it was nice so I started it up and after some convincing and warming up, I got it idling and blipping perfectly. It wasn't cooperating right away which I'm just assuming was from the carbs sitting over winter and so fourth. I took it around the block just to see how it responded to throttle because before the winter I was having a problem with it just totally dying out under any appreciable load on the engine. Today it seemed like it couldn't decide if it wanted to go or not. At first it seemed to clean right up and it was accelerating just like it's supposed to but then towards the end of my short trip it went back to suddenly bogging to death under anything more than mild throttle.

That is one problem. I feel that could be dealt with and fixed if I really get dedicated and go through and check out all the fuel related stuff. It's odd this happened all of a sudden after the crash but who knows.

The second part to this is once I pulled back in the driveway with the bike and shut it down, I saw it was blowing oil out again which it had been doing since the crash. Prior to the crash last year I had a breather on the crankcase vent port and since the crash it's been left open (while i was still trying to get the bike sorted) so there's no vacuum draw from the engine or anything and it's just spraying oil. I didn't add any oil since the crash either so it'd definitely not over-filled.
Now I'm wondering if I have a compression leak so that when I get into higher throttle all the blowby is forcing oil out there.

Any ideas here?

As a side point, my intention was to get through this season with the bike and then replace it next year. I'm absolutely done spending money on it. If I'd prognosticated this I wouldn't have bothered getting the bike back after the crash at all. So I ask the ninjette community what should I actually do with this bike next year or quite conceivably this year if these problems do it in for me now? It's not worth anything as a bike but it's got lots of good parts on it and some one-off bits I've made. I'm figuring parting it out bit by bit would be the only way i'd make any kind of redemption of my losses but I don't have the time, patience, or storage for that so I guess if anyone is interested in a cheap parts bike, keeping in mind the stuff I've posted above, let me knows. I have a service log for the bike I've kept since buying it in 2007.
MFNcody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2015, 11:57 AM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNcody View Post
I posted most of my general circumstances in my 'Pretty much new ninja nut von Chicago land' https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=143037 thread so there's some background i'm skipping here but just to get to the point, I got my bike all back together (omitting the non-critical body pieces) after crashing and everything is more or less functional again.

Today, it was nice so I started it up and after some convincing and warming up, I got it idling and blipping perfectly. It wasn't cooperating right away which I'm just assuming was from the carbs sitting over winter and so fourth. I took it around the block just to see how it responded to throttle because before the winter I was having a problem with it just totally dying out under any appreciable load on the engine. Today it seemed like it couldn't decide if it wanted to go or not. At first it seemed to clean right up and it was accelerating just like it's supposed to but then towards the end of my short trip it went back to suddenly bogging to death under anything more than mild throttle.

That is one problem. I feel that could be dealt with and fixed if I really get dedicated and go through and check out all the fuel related stuff. It's odd this happened all of a sudden after the crash but who knows.

The second part to this is once I pulled back in the driveway with the bike and shut it down, I saw it was blowing oil out again which it had been doing since the crash. Prior to the crash last year I had a breather on the crankcase vent port and since the crash it's been left open (while i was still trying to get the bike sorted) so there's no vacuum draw from the engine or anything and it's just spraying oil. I didn't add any oil since the crash either so it'd definitely not over-filled.
Now I'm wondering if I have a compression leak so that when I get into higher throttle all the blowby is forcing oil out there.

Any ideas here?

As a side point, my intention was to get through this season with the bike and then replace it next year. I'm absolutely done spending money on it. If I'd prognosticated this I wouldn't have bothered getting the bike back after the crash at all. So I ask the ninjette community what should I actually do with this bike next year or quite conceivably this year if these problems do it in for me now? It's not worth anything as a bike but it's got lots of good parts on it and some one-off bits I've made. I'm figuring parting it out bit by bit would be the only way i'd make any kind of redemption of my losses but I don't have the time, patience, or storage for that so I guess if anyone is interested in a cheap parts bike, keeping in mind the stuff I've posted above, let me knows. I have a service log for the bike I've kept since buying it in 2007.
literally every engine has ring blow by.

oil is flung up there because you have a spinning transmission directly under that, bathed in oil... flinging oil everywhere. as expected. which is why that normall is connected to a long windy tube so the oil can leak back down

it sounds like you dont like the bike at all though, you should sell it immediate and get a gsxr.

Old March 30th, 2015, 12:09 PM   #3
MFNcody
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
literally every engine has ring blow by.

oil is flung up there because you have a spinning transmission directly under that, bathed in oil... flinging oil everywhere. as expected. which is why that normall is connected to a long windy tube so the oil can leak back down

it sounds like you dont like the bike at all though, you should sell it immediate and get a gsxr.
I figured positive flow out of the crankcase under throttle and rpm is expected but if it were pissing oil out at the rate mine is, the engine would be consuming more oil than gas and i'd have no oil after a casual day of riding. This is not normal.

If I had a buyer, I would sell it immediately. I'm not a fan of gsxr's mostly because everyone else swings off them so hard. haha Right now I've had my eye set on an '05 honda superhawk.

Old March 30th, 2015, 12:11 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
so drop the engine and split the case and find out what's wrong

or put that hose back on that lets the splatter come out, and then falls right back down.

maybe the engine is totally ****ed. but you sound like you're finished working on it. so why work on it anymore? send it to the trash heap and find something else to break

Old March 30th, 2015, 12:47 PM   #5
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Without knowing the engine, it sounds normal to me, and I agree, put the hose back on, and keep riding.

Worse case do a compression test.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2015, 03:01 PM   #6
ieathonda
ninjette.org member

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250F

bogging issue sounds like my bike when i first got it.. and the previous owner also disconnected the hose and replaced with a breather. I had some seriously oil soaked parts. I also think the hole that wasnt plugged on the intake had alot to do with the performance of the bike as well...

Where is the oil coming out from? The open crankcase hole where the hose runs to? or somewhere else? how much oil are you losing and after how many days/weeks? is it just spray or a pool of it?

What kind of intake is on there now? have the carbs been messed with? Sounds like the problem gets worse as the bike warms up, could be a mixture problem maybe associated with the intake.
ieathonda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2015, 04:13 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
btw your crash at 85 from the rear wheel sliding around was probably caused by your oil leak. oil on the tire makes them slide.

Old March 31st, 2015, 12:04 PM   #8
MFNcody
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieathonda View Post
bogging issue sounds like my bike when i first got it.. and the previous owner also disconnected the hose and replaced with a breather. I had some seriously oil soaked parts. I also think the hole that wasnt plugged on the intake had alot to do with the performance of the bike as well...

Where is the oil coming out from? The open crankcase hole where the hose runs to? or somewhere else? how much oil are you losing and after how many days/weeks? is it just spray or a pool of it?

What kind of intake is on there now? have the carbs been messed with? Sounds like the problem gets worse as the bike warms up, could be a mixture problem maybe associated with the intake.
I've been running the K&n R-0990 filter with the accompanying carb jetting and a breather on the crankcase port for the last two years with no problem. The breather never left any oil anywhere. I just tested it. Right now If I just hold a fast rev, it'll pour out oil through the port there right through the breather and I do mean pour. I just did it a few seconds and I had a nice puddle before I knew it.

Alex yeah that's a good idea there about the oil on the tire but I didn't loose my back tire, I definitely lost the front. I was combing that bike afterwards for any clues when I picked it back up and there was no signs of oil even after being thrown down.

I'm gonna try to verify the oil level just to say I did and do a compression test I guess.

Old March 31st, 2015, 12:22 PM   #9
ieathonda
ninjette.org member

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250F

hmm possibly blow by. if you have checked everything else then a compression test would probably be the next thing to do. I have a bit of oil in my airbox but no where as drastic as yours. I do alot of highway commuting as well.. 30-40 minutes over 9k is normal for me
ieathonda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2015, 04:28 PM   #10
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

It started blowing oil after the crash? I wonder if there is a oil splash baffle that got dislodged. Other possibility is engine ran sideways and too much oil or gas got into cylinder and could not be compressed and cracked a piston or ring lands causing blowby. No smoke out the exhaust?

Old April 1st, 2015, 07:26 AM   #11
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Also if that breather is disconnected, then there is unfiltered air going into your intake. It leaves on open hole
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2015, 11:15 AM   #12
MFNcody
ninjette.org member

I had a few minutes today and found a piece of the puzzle. I checked the oil level and it was over-filled which explains the oil coming out. I removed over 20oz of fluid and to get it back to about right and I say fluid because there's definitely a significant amount of gas mixed in with the oil. Also the bike started easy as butter and idles but any throttle with or without choke insta-kills it, period. That is a new thing..

Old April 1st, 2015, 02:04 PM   #13
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
If the gas is getting into the engine via the carbs, then both your petcock ('90 had the vacuum petcock too, right?) and the float valves in the carbs need work.

If the petcock is operating properly, fuel will be shut off when the engine isn't running. If fuel is leaking out while it sits, you have a petcock problem.

Once the carb bowls fill with gas, the floats should rise and close their valves, stopping any more fuel from entering the carbs. If the carbs are overflowing fuel, then you have a problem with your float valves.

If the float valves aren't working properly, the fuel level in the bowls won't be right, which will affect how the engine runs.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2015, 02:11 PM   #14
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

I just went thru dealing with bad float valves myself, here's the thread,

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=215441

90 had a vacuum petcock, and it's cheaper to but a new one, due to they don't make a single rebuilding kit.

My 2¢ on petcock,

Quote:
If your petcock is shot, save your time, and money and get a new one, the cost of rebuilding it isn't much cheaper, due to you need two separate kits, as they for some reason don't make just one.

New one cost about $65.00

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...1023-1139.html

Also be sure to order the orings(92022-183 WASHER,6.2X11X1.5)and new bolts(92001-1091BOLT,6X20),trust me you'll be better off in the long run.

Rebuilding kits are about $60 total.

K&L Supply Diaphragm Only for Fuel Petcock Repair Kit 18-6638 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055DWO60..._s1CGub1W9N3PH

K&L Supply Fuel Petcock Repair Kit 18-2723 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KO2JRW..._U1CGub05DT5NT

IMHO not worth it rebuilding, also be sure to check vacuum and fuel lines for wear, holes, and cracks, if in doubt replace them.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old April 10th, 2015, 11:02 AM   #15
MFNcody
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the responses. You guys rock!

The petcock does leak while off. It has since I remember but I've never run into this problem before. I remember one time I parked the bike and forgot to turn the petcock off and when I tried to start the bike back up after work the carbs were totally full of gas and I'm pretty sure I hydro-locked the motor because it stopped turning. After I bled out the bowls of gas, it recovered. If something has happened to the carbs now like you're saying, I could see it doing something like this where it would have running problems and passing fuel into the engine while off. I'll check the carbs out next. They were in nice rebuilt shape but who knows what happened now.
I did forget to mention I also noticed running the engine that the exhaust out of one side was very warm while the other side was cold. Doesn't really say what's wrong but something to note.

I pretty much sealed the deal on a replacement bike today so it's official my ninja is going away regardless of the nature of this problem. I'll make a separate thread I guess to see if anybody can use it. I do want to dig deeper into this and figure it out. I don't like unsolved mysteries. haha

Old April 10th, 2015, 11:09 AM   #16
Ghostt
in your machine

Sorry to hear your moving on, your problem is simple enough to fix, New petcock, and rebuild the carburetors, install fuel filter, done.

Good luck on your purchase.

Below is a picture of the float needle valve Old Vs New
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6122136992220849250.jpg (101.7 KB, 2 views)

ZX-2R BLOG