ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 5th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #1
walera
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Wale

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Clunky Transmission. Am I alone?

Hello guys, this is my very 1st post, but i've been lurking around for a while now. This is a very lovely and informative forum. Kudos to you guys.
Ok, down to business. I got my 08 Ninja 250r sometime in december with just a lil over 4k miles on the ODO, but i recently noticed that when I shift into 1st gear there's a heavy clunk and it's quite disheartening. I dont remember noticing this earlier but i did change the engine oil that was in it when I got it. I used regular motor oil for the change as i'm not particularly comfortable using Mobil1 cos it's 10w-40 and the temperature gets pretty hot over ere and even borders on 40C! And i cant seem to find any other brand. Am I just fussing over something normal or is there really a problem? And if there is a problem would it have been as a result of the oil change? Also would it be safe to actually use the Mobil1 motorcycle specific oil?

Really hope you guys can help me out ere. Cheers
walera is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #2
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

There are two things to look at one the clutch adjustment and two the idle rpm too high. Both of these will cause a loud clunk if they are out of specification

Steve

Old February 5th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Is it possible that you bought a "high efficiency" oil formulation?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2010, 01:51 AM   #4
Robbo81
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Every bike is different, My bike does it and my friends doesn't. With the oil, I'd make sure its a motorcycle specific oil and that its made for bikes with a wet clutch. Might be worth your while to shop online for your oils if you are not happy. For that kind of climate you really should be running 10w 50w.
Robbo81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #5
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Off hand, I can't recall owning a bike that didn't clunk when being put into 1st gear while stationary.

Old February 5th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #6
walera
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks guys...
@ Steve: The idle rpm is actually as it should be, 1300 +/- 50 but will go check the clutch freeplay as soon as i get home from work.
@ JET: I'm pretty positive it was just a regular motor oil, the same type I use in my car. But what's a 'high efficiency' oil? It just may be, need to check though....
@ Robert: Your response made me feel a lil relieved, but to tell you the truth, the clunky feedback I get just doesn't feel right...

Old February 5th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #7
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Yeah, mine shifts hard into first and second and then gets better with third and on.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by walera View Post
Thanks guys...
@ JET: I'm pretty positive it was just a regular motor oil, the same type I use in my car. But what's a 'high efficiency' oil? It just may be, need to check though....
It's in the small print around the SAE seal, IIRC. It has additives that can gain a percent or two of fuel efficiency in larger vehicles and many now require it according to the manual (to meet CAFE requirements). It's bad for motorcycle clutches which are bathed in oil and rely on the friction the additives reduce.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #9
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

My '08 Ninja 250r also has quite a 'clunk' when shifting from neutral into 1st, far more noticeable than any other motorcycle I've rode. I've been told this is normal for this bike, and with about 4000 miles on the bike I've had no issues.

Old February 5th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #10
littledog
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Special Edition Ninja 250 a good memory, 2011 Suzuki DL 650 the new ride

Mine does this too. Up shift or down shift between lower gears is louder than between higher gears.

A suggestion I read on this forum

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35389

is that pre loading the shift lever slightly, before pulling the clutch, will quiet this. It seems to work. I dont know why, or how or even if it is a good idea to do this.
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #11
captlombardi
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): '09 EX250J, '01 CBR600F4i

what are the other conditions the bike is under when you are hearing a "clunk"? I find when i'm not moving then its not as bad as if i was to shift down into 1st when going just a bit too fast. my buddy had a cbr600 that made a wicked clunk sound you could hear from a good distance away when he shifted to first. i would say my bike does this and i haven't had any problems in 4600 miles. bought brand new.
captlombardi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #12
walera
ninjette.org newbie

@ JET: I just checked the the seal on the empty oil container and it just says High Quality Multigrade Oil. So I guess it's not a 'high efficiency' oil.
@ Scott: It's only when I shift into 1st from a dead stop.
Goin by responses posted, it's safe to assume I was fussing over nothing. Thanks again guys, you've all been of tremendous help, was really beginning to get worried there for a minute.

Old February 5th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #13
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

2nd - 1st or Neutral - 1st are both a bigger clunk than any other shift. My bike's done it since new, I can't imagine it being a problem.

Old February 5th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #14
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

I'd say post up a video if you can. What you are describing seems normal but some video input will help you get better quality feedback. Even a mere audio wave file would help you out.

My bike "clunks" as well but is relatively normal IMO. my friends with 600 and 750cc bikes have more audible clunks into first from a dead stop compared to my 250.
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:29 AM   #15
garethmartin
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Gareth

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - 2010

mine made a clunky noise when i used synthetic oil, I have started using castrol gtx regular oil now and the noise has vanished.
garethmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:59 AM   #16
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

(disclaimer: I'm a cut-and-paste whore so lots of you have already seen this)

Here's a quick one-page explanation of the noises you're hearing from the EX-250 gearbox. Worth reading.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Why_is_...27clunky%27%3F

The bottom line is the EX-250 gearbox, like every other motorcycle gearbox, is not a sycromesh type. It may sound surprising to you but when you shift the EX-250 things just crash together in there because that's how it's designed to happen.

As the gearbox information page I linked to explains, the EX-250 uses "dogs" that slot into "windows" when you shift. From looking at the Micro-Fiche of the EX-250 Transmission on the Ron Ayers website I can see there are 6 windows that recieve 3 dogs when the any of the input and output gears mesh (engage) inside the gearbox.

When you pull in the clutch lever you're "unloading" the transmission, this prevents things from crashing together with damaging levels of force. However, unloading the transmission doesn't stop the input and output gears from spinning (all at various speeds due to their different ratios) so with every shift of the EX-250's "non-syncromesh" type there will be minor, occasionally clunky sounding collisions between the dogs and windows on these gears. Clunky sounding, yes. But not damaging.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:13 AM   #17
mohns6062
ninjette.org member

Name: Braydan

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki ZZR 250

Try pumping the clutch when you are in neutral and just started the bike. It is a wet clutch so that little pumping action gets it a bit wet and I personally have noticed a smoother shift into first gear as long as my buddy. I had a 1998 Ninja 250 my buddy has a 2003 Ninja 250 and I now have a 2006 ZZR 250 and the same results yields from each bike. I believe I read that on ninja250.org but do not quote me on it.
mohns6062 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 05:01 PM   #18
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by walera View Post
@ JET: I just checked the the seal on the empty oil container and it just says High Quality Multigrade Oil. So I guess it's not a 'high efficiency' oil.
What you're checking for is that the API label does not list your oil as "Energy Conserving". This means the oil contains friction modifiers which is bad to use in a motorcycle with a wet clutch like our Ninja. Refer to the picture for an example:

As far as I know, there's no such thing as a 5W/10W-40 weight or thicker oil that is energy conserving. I'm not 100% sure on this though as I always use JASO MA standard oil so I never check but I've never seen a 5/10W-40 weight oil being listed as energy conserving. I do believe though that Mobil 1 has a 0W-40 oil that is labelled as energy conserving.

My bike also clunks into 1st up and down and switching from dino oil to synthetic made no difference.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:03 PM   #19
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

By any chance do you also get the clunk when going from 1 -->2?
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 07:58 PM   #20
kevheads
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Green 250R

my brand new 2011 has done this since day one,I have 275 miles on it now, one oil change using Kawasaki Oil the dealer gave me with the bike. Mine clunks but never the same gears, one time it might be lower gears the next time they are smooth, I have noticed they are clunkiest when coming to a dead stop and going to 1st gear from a high gear, doesn't matter if I do it as I'm slowing down or doing it at a dead stop.
kevheads is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:13 PM   #21
areifel
ninjette.org member

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Yeap, mine does it every so often also. usually when i am slowing down and shifting into first. Not from a dead stop.
areifel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:14 PM   #22
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevheads View Post
my brand new 2011 has done this since day one,I have 275 miles on it now, one oil change using Kawasaki Oil the dealer gave me with the bike. Mine clunks but never the same gears, one time it might be lower gears the next time they are smooth, I have noticed they are clunkiest when coming to a dead stop and going to 1st gear from a high gear, doesn't matter if I do it as I'm slowing down or doing it at a dead stop.
How long have you been riding? I used to have at but now I got 3000 miles and the take off and stopping don't make the clunk as much as before. But it still happens
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:53 PM   #23
jaso
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2008 kawasaki ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaso View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
man totally lost on how to reply to a message now on this new format for this forum. But anyhow ...... I've bought my 2008 250 off the show room floor with no miles on it. I now have just under 9,000 miles on it and it has clunked since day one from neutral to 1sta 2nd and a little on 3rd. It is normal and I have never and a problem with the transmission yet. Alley still runs strong even with all those miles ( alley is her name )
Posted via Mobile Device
jaso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:18 PM   #24
chitor
Ninja Master

Name: Chito

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Mine clunks louder if I dont pull the clutch all the way in... But there is always a clunk from Neutral to 1st gear. I don't treat it as a problem though, I think it's normal.... Its a 2010 and bought it brandnew, with 1500 kms now.

Sorry if I ask it here, but what is the best oil to use in a hot weather?(I mean, viscosity, and brand)... 10w40? 10w50? 15w50?

Thanks.
chitor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #25
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

im bumping this cause mine also clunks but generally only when down shifting into 1st and second. but mostly 1st. as long as its no big deal which it looks like it isnt im not worried about it..
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #26
C L
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2014 300

Mine clunks too. It's been thwacking since 0 miles and I thought that was just the norm.

If anything, I like the feel and sound of it
C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #27
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Mine clunks into first from a dead stop and is a little clunky from 2nd down to first. I find it reassuring now. It helps me know I've hit first properly since I'm a new rider and have had a few attempted take-offs in neutral lol!
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #28
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

mines when im slowing to a stop and sticking it into 2nd and first.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote