ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 27th, 2011, 05:12 AM   #1
chitor
Ninja Master

Name: Chito

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

2 Stroke Exhaust pipes?

Hi,

Just want to ask if I can use 2 Stroke exhaust can for our ninja 250r?

I plan to install a dual exhaust pipe on one side of the bike, but I think it will look too bulky if I install a regular sized end can, that's why Im thinking of installing 2 pcs of 2 stroke exhaust pipes instead since they are smaller.

Has anyone done this before? I wonder how it will sound?

Where can I get a carbon fiber 2 stroke exhaust pipe?

Thanks.
chitor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #2
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

like this.. http://www.hotmotostore.com/Totsubo-...stem_p_24.html im sure you could use a 2stroke pipe slip on, i mean a muffler is a muffler really, all depends on size on how it will sound really, but these 250's have a similiar sound really no matter what pipe IMO most aftermarket pipes are straight through design.. so really depends on how much baffling is in there on what it sounds like. i think doing 2pipes though is the only way that they will sound a little different then the average single pipe setup. just youtube 250r exhausts.. theres alot of diff setups out there guys have done.
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 06:45 AM   #3
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

I guess you can, but its not going to make any difference in performance, as these are not two stroke bikes. The whole reason those two stroke exhausts improve performance on a two stroke engine is because they improve scavenging....something that the four strokes dont do.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #4
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

i dont think the pipe from the head to the muffler on a 2stroke would work btw.. im talking just the can itself. the pipe itself i dont think would work or fit well at all.

Old June 27th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #5
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

The silencer/muffler could fit. However a 2 stroke pipe (expansion chamber) looks nothing like a 4 stroke pipe. The shape of 2 stroke pipes greatly changes a 2 strokes powerband. Two Yam 250 mx bikes. Bike on the left is a 2 stroke, right is a 4 stroke. some of the 70's and 80's 2 stroke race pipes were works of art. Often times welded up in the back of a box van by a mechanic who had to drive the van and bikes to the races, repair the bikes, counsel the rider. A far cry from today's semis and huge support teams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yam2.jpg (40.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg yam4.jpg (40.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg kawi2.jpg (9.4 KB, 118 views)
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #6
chitor
Ninja Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhiteninja View Post
like this.. http://www.hotmotostore.com/Totsubo-...stem_p_24.html im sure you could use a 2stroke pipe slip on, i mean a muffler is a muffler really, all depends on size on how it will sound really, but these 250's have a similiar sound really no matter what pipe IMO most aftermarket pipes are straight through design.. so really depends on how much baffling is in there on what it sounds like. i think doing 2pipes though is the only way that they will sound a little different then the average single pipe setup. just youtube 250r exhausts.. theres alot of diff setups out there guys have done.
Totsubo is too loud for me, but yes, I really like the dual exhaust set up like that.

Old June 27th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #7
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

if the totsubo were cheaper id buy em..

Old June 27th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #8
chitor
Ninja Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhiteninja View Post
if the totsubo were cheaper id buy em..
You are right! me too.

Old June 27th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the expansion chamber and a boost bottle wouldn't do anything for a 4 stroke and might actually hurt the power if you get it wrong enough... but i would think the can itsself would be about the same since its just a tube with baffles, or if its just a silencer, a tube with another tube inside with holes...

let us know how it works out

Old June 27th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #10
chitor
Ninja Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
the expansion chamber and a boost bottle wouldn't do anything for a 4 stroke and might actually hurt the power if you get it wrong enough... but i would think the can itsself would be about the same since its just a tube with baffles, or if its just a silencer, a tube with another tube inside with holes...

let us know how it works out
Im referring to the end can only. Thanks for the replies.

Old June 27th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #11
wayanlam
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

there was a youtube video of this exact setup, a doubled up 2 stroke exhaust that they put on the new gen 250.

but i cant find it, i think i watched it about 2 years ago, and since then there are like hundreds of Ninja 250 vids, lol

Old June 28th, 2011, 05:07 AM   #12
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
The whole reason those two stroke exhausts improve performance on a two stroke engine is because they improve scavenging....something that the four strokes dont do.
Expansion chambers are an art. its not really scavenging, its the reflected waves that help close up the exhaust port
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 06:58 AM   #13
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

It doesn't seem like a good idea, but if you dig around a bit, you can find M Factory two stroke cans