ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 9th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Lucagst
ninjette.org member

Name: Luca

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

woodruff offset key for timing advance?

Hello everyone I am new on this site, I wanted to know if it is possible to fit a offset woodruff key that goes into the flywheel for timing advance on the ninjas 250r. I ask because when I lived in Europe i used to use it in some of the two-strokes race engines and also in four-strokes engines to advance the timing 5degree to7degree depending on the key offset,I do not know if it is possible to make it work on the ninjas 250r without the need of buying expensive cdi's units only to increase the timing. thanks in advance for your answers
Lucagst is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Welcome to the site, Luca !!!

I have not seen it done, but see no problem with it.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #3
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Welcome Luca, the answer is: YES it is...

I did it and it's worth each and every USD.

Look here for RTR-KAW-5-05: http://www.factorypro.com/prod_pages/prodk04.html

Another desc: http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/zzr...ctory-pro.html
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #4
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Your biggest issue will be getting the proper tools. An aftermarket cdi may be cheaper...
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Don't forget, adjusting the flywheel for timing advance advances the timing the same amout over the entire rev-range.

Ideally, you'd advance the ignition advance of the top end for power, then adjust as needed to smooth out the AFR curve over the rest of the rpm range.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote