Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old June 21st, 2015, 04:50 PM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Why do riders have such bad attitudes?

Most of you don't have this problem, but one thing I detest about other people on bikes is how surprised they are that people sometimes actively try to kill them, or how they're unwilling to admit that they've made mistakes. I'm no professional anything, but I think that if riders had better attitudes, an asston more people would be riding and a much smaller percentage of them would be dead every year.

Here's how I see it. I knew the risks when I signed up. I practice emergency braking and make sure my bike is in order and wear my gear and don't act like a ********, needing to feel like a big man and confronting everyone who looks at me funny. When someone pulls out in front of me, I forgive them. I'm prepared for them. When someone swerves around me aggressively, I don't chase them down. Maybe I'll report their plate, but honestly, who cares?

What do you guys think?
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

7 out of 7 members found this post helpful.

Old June 21st, 2015, 05:36 PM   #2
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Agreed, seems like a lot of these "vloggers" have this problem.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2015, 06:11 PM   #3
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

When you have people who feel they have to take a stance on things and project it on other people, it tends to get out of hand quickly and with no way of knowing how it will end for all parties involved.
Nothing wrong with being opinionated, but please keep your comments and attitude to yourself.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2015, 07:13 PM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
There's a certain heroic "vlogger" within our own ranks like that
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2015, 08:07 PM   #5
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
MrAtom, agreed! Be proactive and be ready to forgive. Sometimes I just shake my head after someone does a bone head move and laugh inside the helmet while thinking "some people just don't have any skills....no eye hand coordination".

When other riders don't wave for me, I laugh inside my helmet thinking "wow, he was such a big tatted up dude....yet too scared to lift his left hand off that handlebar?".

I don't know...if others see the dorky grin behind the face shield, they'd think I'm a little nuts smiling for no reason.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 21st, 2015, 09:33 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
....... What do you guys think?
The way I see what you explain here in Florida is that misinformed drivers, who eventually ride, have no clue about what they are messing with.

The point of view changes when these persons are in a bike (always with engines of abundant c.c.'s), but the mental setting remains the same as when driving.

These are the guys wearing no or under-rated helmets, never checking the mirrors or head checking, stopping next to the center of a rear bumper and flying through busy intersections looking straight and far away.

They take what is normal traffic and dumb moves as personal offenses that deeply hurt their egos.

There are also many skilled riders; those are easy to spot as well.
Those simply go fluidly through traffic as a fish through a school while their heads swivel.

In all my years of riding I have not encountered people who actively try to kill me while I am riding.
Most driving errors that have endangered me have come from people that don't care about others (speeders, red light runners, drunks, stop sign rollers, sudden lane changers and tailgaters) and from people that have limited skills or capabilities (coordination, drugs, vision, mental or age).
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old June 21st, 2015, 11:07 PM   #7
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Poul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

It's self-selection - you hear much more from a small minority of entitled assholes than from mature, proficient riders.

Old June 22nd, 2015, 03:46 AM   #8
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
I don't take anything vloggers say to heart. Most of them are there to talk to a camera first and ride a bike second, and don't really know what they're doing. I'd trust their opinion on bikes only a tiny bit more than I would Jenna Marbles. They're pretty much the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
...These are the guys wearing no or under-rated helmets, never checking the mirrors or head checking, stopping next to the center of a rear bumper and flying through busy intersections looking straight and far away....
Even in a car, this is pretty unheard of for me. I'm glad I started riding a motorcycle shortly after learning to drive. There should be steep car insurance discounts for people who can proficiently ride a motorcycle

Old June 22nd, 2015, 10:00 AM   #9
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Agreed! Motorcycling is inherently risky, if the rider is not willing to accept those risks , anticipate them and ride defensively, they are likely to encounter many more close calls and actual incidents. The vast majority of cagers are not evil, they just overlook us due to our smaller footprint. Ride like you are invisible and don't put yourself in positions where you have to count on someone else doing the right thing.

Old June 22nd, 2015, 10:44 AM   #10
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
I don't know what happened the bike just crashed.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2015, 09:52 PM   #11
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I'm not sure it's a specific problem with "riders" per say. I think the issue is a general lack of understanding, respect and general wherewithal. People in general do not like to make mistakes and especially don't like to have those mistakes pointed out.

Where I'm from a lot of these riders blame each other. We get the cruiser vs sportbike arguement constantly. The truth of the matter is that it isn't cager vs cruiser vs sportbike vs trike vs airplane vs squirrel it is a division between competence and incompetence.

For example: there was a guy who lost his life this weekend who was told by several people that he needed to check up so he wouldn't kill himself or someone else. He answered by lashing out and not heeding that advice.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 24th, 2015, 08:30 AM   #12
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
for the same reason that there is war and conflict in the world... @TnNinjaGirl said it best. People don't like to be wrong and their egos don't allow for improvement.

As I've said before, if you think you're better than the next person, you are a part of the problem.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2015, 04:13 PM   #13
Urban Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Kate

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, Yamaha TTR 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
This might be slightly off topic but what is the significance of this motorcycle "vlogger" phenomenon??? I honestly don't get it. Even if some of the topics they choose to talk about are somewhat interesting, why do we have to listen to it while watching them ride through traffic? Why can't it just be someone talking into the camera?

If anything, it seems kind of dangerous. Anyone who is voice recording while on their bike is way too distracted to fully pay attention to what's around them. I don't care how good of a rider you are and how many years of riding experience you have, "vlogging" while riding through traffic does not allow you to focus the way you should when on a bike.

Just sayin'

Old July 21st, 2015, 01:57 PM   #14
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
I guess I just hang around a better class of biker. The guys I ride with have decent attitudes.

Maybe I'm just an old geezer.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2015, 10:49 PM   #15
blink.
ninjette.org member

Name: Blink

Motorcycle(s): a few

If cagers would put down the damn cell phone, would be a lot less accidents. fact.
blink. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2015, 03:01 AM   #16
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blink. View Post
If cagers would put down the damn cell phone, would be a lot less accidents. fact.
Bitching and road rage isn't gonna fix it tho

Old July 22nd, 2015, 09:15 AM   #17
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Bitching and road rage isn't gonna fix it tho
This...

Patience and care will however. Politeness and communication from care as opposed to anger will go much further, for a lot longer...

But...

It's easier to get mad >>>> Conflict.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote