ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old October 13th, 2021, 03:52 AM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

2009 KLR 650 Kawasaki ?????

I might be getting a 2009 KLR 650 soon... dunno exactly.. but we're working on a trade involving my quad and his KLR... paper work on my quad is the main hold-up but it should be do-able.
so I have been looking at all the mods and add ons for the KLR's and there is a ton of them....
from what I understand the main thing to change on the KLR is the "Doohicky"
( which hasn't been done) and add crash bars
and for me a lowering kit ! LOL
as it has a 34" seat height stock !
... to me this is more of a type of bike I like, upright posture and dirt road ability !....
if I get it I may well cancel the CSC RX4 order that I've been waiting for close to 9 months now.... although the RX4 is a more modern bike , I can live with the carb and only 5 speeds as long as it will do 80mph on the freeway
...which it will.
..... so there may well be changes to my stables in the near future... I hope so, as to me the quad is useless !
I was wondering if any of you folks have or have had but don't now a KLR 650...
and if so what mods did you do to it ?
Bob........

Old October 13th, 2021, 07:22 AM   #2
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

I've never owned one, but a couple of past riding acquaintances had them. As far as utilitarian two-wheeled transportation goes, they're hard to beat. Certainly not a dirt bike, but a bike that can handle all roads.
Doohicky is a must-mod, and cheap (like everything on the klr).
Lowering is possible, like you mentioned. I see seats for the klr cut down super low so I suspect there are inches to be had just there.
I believe you will be better served by the klr over the CSC, hands down. The klr may not be "modern", but then again neither are our Ninja 250s. My first gen and the klr are both '80s tech and prime examples of Kawasaki's "if it ain't broke" mentality.
I hope the trade goes well and you have pics of the new bike to share soon, I suspect it will be a very good bike for your purposes

Old October 13th, 2021, 01:30 PM   #3
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Thanks Drew !
that's the best description of the bike I've ever heard "Utilitarian" LOL...
a do everything bike but do nothing perfect !
Eagle Mikes "Doohickey" Kit is probably the way to go for me.the one that has the flywheel puller in it. ....and another accessory I found for it is a "CENTER STAND" that I MUST get !!!!!!
Big Thumpers have always been a favorite of mine their just down right fun to ride. their a good Putt,Putt machine and for this old man I think it will serve me well. not to mention it's extreme reliability record, they just keep on going no matter what !.... I just wish it had a kick start too ! LOL....
I had a yamaha XT500cc when I was in Fernley NV. and I rode it many miles out in the desert... My Kid had a KX 125 and could leave me in the Dust at the drop of a hat... but we definitely had good times on those bikes !
the KLR is anything but that XT500 , its more of a street machine with knobbies on it... LOL fairing and all that... but in all honesty that is where most of the miles will come from !
I've seen where some have been Improved where they will get the front wheel off the ground in 2nd... and that is saying something ! that would increase the fun on that thing 10 fold ! HAHAHAHA !
Bob.........