ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old December 12th, 2021, 11:31 AM   #1
Carburhater
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 ninja 250 beater

LAWD HAVE MERCY she's got troubles... Oh, and new member here. Hi

ALLL righty. I'm in the Bangor, Maine area. Got my endorsement this summer and rode all through fall. About 5k miles in so far. My bike is a 2006 ninja 250r, yellow on black like I always dreamed of riding. I freaking love riding this thing. I love the engine size. I can't believe how much acceleration Kawasaki pulled out of such a small engine... genuinely never would feel like I need a faster bike than a 250. But golly gee this thing just can't hold itself together ...

I didn't winterize it this year, because I am hoping to move to Atlanta ASAP for my music passion. I took her for a spin last weekend to get the juices flowing... took some jumper cables to get her started 😬 (Live at the bottom of a hill on a gravel driveway so couldn't push start it). Made the stupid mistake of putting old gas in it out of a jerry can I've had sitting around for months. The bike itself had only been sitting a month or so.

Warmed her up for 30 minutes, then went riding for a good 20/30 minutes; right at the end of the ride, I she sputtered, started sounding like she was only firing on one cylinder, and I lost power.

Guy at the local shop said the gas probably gummed up the carbs, so I just pulled the carbs out AGAIN to clean them out.

Once I got it out, I noticed a few things:
The tube that goes into the top of the left cylinder had popped out. Nothing is connected at the bottom, just an empty tube... I thought the spark plugs were down there?
She DOES have two new ignition coils as of this summer, because I had one go out on a long ride and limped it home on one cyl.
...could this be an issue, a cause, or just stuff it back in there and ignore it?

And for only riding half an hour, do you think it is worth pulling the carb apart again, or do you think freezing weather and not enough warm up time or something might have shot out a coil again?
Bringing it to the shop is not an option as the nearest pro shop has 200 machines in the cue ahead of anything new, and also I am pretty broke. Also also, I want to learn this bike and the maintenance better and master this craft, because I'm probably going to be pretty committed to this over the next few years while I am single and commuting in the city.

Charging the battery on a trickle charger now, got some carb cleaner and fuel stabilizer, going to pick up some ethanol-free 90 this afternoon. Drained the fuel tank as much as I could with syphoning and holding it upside-down over a funnel. My hands smell GREAT. My mouth tastes GREAT. I am doggone determined to get this thing running right...

Unrelated issue: something is leaking. No idea where from... carb I'm imagining... hopefully the pics will upload fine.
Unrelated issue: that one super long cross bolt above the tranny slid almost all the way out. I have had SO MANY dang nuts and bolts vibrate off this bike... ones out of the tranny case, out of the ferrings, had a bolt come off that was holding the coolant pipe return in... that was a fun field repair... I never messed around with these, so it's not like they're under torqued or anything. Is this normal?? I guess it serves me right for treating it like a touring bike..

...p.s. - anybody want a *mostly* running 250? I'd start bids at 700 bucks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211212_115846.jpg (107.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20211212_115940.jpg (174.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20211212_115948.jpg (143.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20211212_115917.jpg (106.6 KB, 6 views)
Carburhater is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2021, 03:44 PM   #2
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

Welcome. Check out ducatiman's rebuild service here on the forum. It's imperative you get a handle on carb maintenance, but his service will ensure a good bar to start from. That will fix the leak too as it's probably leaking through the floats.
Good luck, and get in there! Chase down those loose bolts and torque them down. I've only had things vibrate free if something is broken, so keep a look out.

Old December 12th, 2021, 04:18 PM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Welcome to the forum.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2021, 08:34 PM   #4
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Welcome to the forum.
That oil around the breather tube going in air box the must like the root causes my bike dose the same thing too I suspect and mine had a cracked in it yours may too

Last futzed with by shspvr; December 15th, 2021 at 01:46 PM.
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2021, 01:45 PM   #5
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): 250

Welcome

Old December 16th, 2021, 06:07 AM   #6
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
welcome

Old December 16th, 2021, 01:37 PM   #7
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Carburhater:

OK you have a Bike.... now you need to get a handle on the maintenance !
cars run longer between maintenance periods than bikes do... a bike needs constant looking after !
download a manual and study it real good , get more familiar with your Motorcycle... Yes the Kawasaki 250 Ninja is a surprising bike ! it can get up and go very well... with no need to go any faster.
it's your stupid mistakes that will get you on a motorcycle ! don't do stupid things !
... it Definitely sounds like dirty carburetors on the bike right now and hoses disconnected... those hoses HAVE to be connected their not there just for looks
... Triple Jim's suggestion of pulling your carbs and sending them to Ducattiman,is a good one as they will come back factory fresh in every respect and these Ninja carburetors are a BITCH to clean correctly ! believe me !
I've had mine out and apart 2 times and they're still not perfect.
and I have been into bikes all my life ! and I'm 68 years old, so I have experience... yet these carbs are hard as heck to clean ! and he is reasonable on the cost to do that.... YOU SHOULD DO THAT !
I would venture to say that your first carb cleaning did nothing to the offending circuit in the carb.... the pilot circuit. it's passage ways are very hard to get too and are hidden... you have to take everything off the carb body that will come off and clean with a wire probe all the passage ways
and make doubly sure your carb cleaner goes through the passage ways good... then re assemble the carb correctly.... this is not an easy task
although it looks like it to a handy guy.... but believe me it's not...
just getting the carbs off is a challenge !
young and broke is tough, but you can acquire the skills to do what is needed
hang in there !
and welcome to the forum !
Bob........

Old December 17th, 2021, 09:45 AM   #8
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Greetings & Salutations!!!

So there's some maintenance that needs to be brought up to date, no big deal, all used bikes have them. Take care of worse issues one at time and you'll have perfectly running bike in no time!

Don't use fuel-stabilizer, it's for storing bikes over winter, too late for that as petrol is already bad. What you need is fuel-system cleaner with healthy dose of PEA. One of these should work:

- Red Line SI-1
- Techron Concentrate Plus
- Gumout All-in-One
- 3M Max Strength Fuel System Cleaner #08814
- Royal Purple Max Atomizer 18000

If this doesn't work, then yeah, pulling carbs for full-restoration job would be next

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; December 17th, 2021 at 03:20 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2021, 11:59 AM   #9
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
Carburhater:

... Triple Jim's suggestion of pulling your carbs and sending them to Ducattiman,is a good one as they will come back factory fresh in every respect and these Ninja carburetors are a BITCH to clean correctly ! believe me !
Bob........
Triple Jim's?

I think I did this a couple months ago...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 17th, 2021, 03:12 PM   #10
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Oooops my bad Sorry Drewski
when I read fast I miss some details SORRY !
at any rait, clean the carbs and let us know if it then RUNS right !
Bob....