ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 13th, 2014, 12:20 PM   #121
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Name: Han Solo

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

At dealership now. Jerk doesn't want to let me test ride, but an employee has one himself and will let me in a few min.
Han Solo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 12:46 PM   #122
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

Just rode a 2013 300 ABS model. Drove it in-town and also on a curvy strip of asphalt near the dealership.

I wasn't wowed.

I wasn't wowed!

Old February 13th, 2014, 12:48 PM   #123
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
As I said, it's better than a 250 but not amazingly so. Most of the things that make it better just make it more useable as a daily bike. FI + better midrange torque = better daily rider.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #124
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Maybe I should just improve the 250 and be done with it.

If you had, say, $1,000 in order to improve the 250, what would you spend it on, from stock?

Old February 13th, 2014, 01:08 PM   #125
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
Maybe I should just improve the 250 and be done with it.

If you had, say, $1,000 in order to improve the 250, what would you spend it on, from stock?
I'm sure most ppl would go for clip ons/rear sets/SS brake lines/better tires/full exhaust system

id really looove to have FI on my 250
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 01:19 PM   #126
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
I'm sure most ppl would go for clip ons/rear sets/SS brake lines/better tires/full exhaust system
Pretty much this, add in a GSXR rear shock conversion, some better brake pads/calipers and maybe a front fork upgrade.

Old February 13th, 2014, 01:25 PM   #127
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Quote:
Just rode a 2013 300 ABS model. Drove it in-town and also on a curvy strip of asphalt near the dealership.

I wasn't wowed.

I wasn't wowed!

I'm glad you decided to check the 300 out. I haven't ridden one but I've always wondered if it that much better than the 250. Still, I would be careful about investing a large amount of $ on the 250. The stock package is actually pretty doggone good. Tires first would be my advice.

Last futzed with by greenaero; February 13th, 2014 at 03:49 PM.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #128
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Yes, tires are my first priority. I'm also returning the slip-on I ordered and will probably invest in a full exhaust system. Is that something someone can do themselves, with minimal tech know-how?

Also, I keep hearing about clip-ons and rearsets.

Why do people get these?

Old February 13th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #129
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
clip ons and rearsets are for a sportier seating position so that when you're pushing it the ergos are more natural. They are the fairly important mods if you're into track riding or riding hard in general.

Old February 13th, 2014, 01:43 PM   #130
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
clip ons and rearsets are for a sportier seating position so that when you're pushing it the ergos are more natural. They are the fairly important mods if you're into track riding or riding hard in general.
I see, thanks!

I think my first priorities will be new tires and SS brake lines. Then I'll go from there.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 13th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #131
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
I see, thanks!
not a problem man, also a full exhaust is no more difficult to install than a slip on. You may need to rejet to get the most out of the power gains though and that would be a hell of a pain.

Old February 13th, 2014, 01:53 PM   #132
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
not a problem man, also a full exhaust is no more difficult to install than a slip on. You may need to rejet to get the most out of the power gains though and that would be a hell of a pain.
Do I need a lift to install the full exhaust system?

Old February 13th, 2014, 01:54 PM   #133
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Do I need a lift to install the full exhaust system?
Don't believe so, I took mine off of my 250 while it was just on the kickstand and I can't think of anything that would get in the way of me installing a new one with it on the kickstand.

Old February 13th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #134
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
A stand makes everything easier.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 02:27 PM   #135
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
You may need to rejet to get the most out of the power gains though and that would be a hell of a pain.
Just read up on rejetting. Ugh, don't think it's worth the extra ounces of power. Can it damage the bike if I install a new full exhaust system without rejetting? Or will my fuel economy worsen?

Old February 13th, 2014, 02:49 PM   #136
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Just read up on rejetting. Ugh, don't think it's worth the extra ounces of power. Can it damage the bike if I install a new full exhaust system without rejetting? Or will my fuel economy worsen?
I don't know for sure, I can't think of any reason why it would do any damage though. I'd know if I ever had the money to install a full exhaust system. I can't imagine it being any different than just installing a slip on to the fuel economy or engine. The reasoning is that the backpressure change is the only thing that would really affect the engine which is minimal at best if you're swapping to an exhaust that is meant for the bike.

Old February 13th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #137
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Yes, tires are my first priority. I'm also returning the slip-on I ordered and will probably invest in a full exhaust system. Is that something someone can do themselves, with minimal tech know-how?

Also, I keep hearing about clip-ons and rearsets.

Why do people get these?
For corners. Rearsets give you more clearance.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #138
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

The bike runs lean from the factory, installing a full exhaust without jetting will make it run extremely lean. You're not really going to gain much power with a full exhaust without a rejet either, maybe a little but at the expense of your engine running like **** too. It's not all about peak power, it's about how power is made too. If you gain 1-2 hp on the top end but your bottom and mid range suffer, your bike is going to actually be slower. You'd probably honestly gain more performance from just rejetting the carbs with a stock exhaust. Jetting isn't that big of a deal though... once you do it you'll never be scared of it again. Carburetors really aren't that bad to disassemble and reassemble, not as easy as FI but hey a jet kit is $80 or so vs $250 for an efi controller lol. At the very least shim the needles (easy) and mess around with your pilot screw or whatever it's called and that'll get it running a bit better.

Oh and for the record I am not a noob! Flashing lights at people has been something I've been doing for years without ill results, the only signal I've ever seen for "go ahead" is people literally waving their hands to gesture it. Flashing lights is supposed to mean "I want to pass you" hence why certain faster bikes have a little flasher switch built in. Though I believe in WA that's illegal to do. Regardless, I'd rather not have someone mistakenly think I'm telling them to go ahead when I'm trying to say the exact opposite lol.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #139
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
Oh and for the record I am not a noob! Flashing lights at people has been something I've been doing for years without ill results, the only signal I've ever seen for "go ahead" is people literally waving their hands to gesture it. Flashing lights is supposed to mean "I want to pass you" hence why certain faster bikes have a little flasher switch built in. Though I believe in WA that's illegal to do. Regardless, I'd rather not have someone mistakenly think I'm telling them to go ahead when I'm trying to say the exact opposite lol.

Old February 13th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #140
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Okay, so I made some calculations, and if I stay with the 250, based on the money I have now, I can get some new Diablo Rossi II's, a nice full exhaust system, some SS brake lines (in on the group buy), and a gorgeous Translogic gauge, and still have a nice chunk of $$ left.

I don't see the upside to moving up anymore. Being as it's a commuter bike and not a ride-her-hard toy, I think I'll be okay with the 250.

Want to say thanks, though, to all you guys for your awesome tips, advice, and spankings (those are valuable too).

Old February 13th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #141
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Quote:
Okay, so I made some calculations, and if I stay with the 250, based on the money I have now, I can get some new Diablo Rossi II's, a nice full exhaust system, some SS brake lines (in on the group buy), and a gorgeous Translogic gauge, and still have a nice chunk of $$ left.

I don't see the upside to moving up anymore. Being as it's a commuter bike and not a ride-her-hard toy, I think I'll be okay with the 250.

Want to say thanks, though, to all you guys for your awesome tips, advice, and spankings (those are valuable too).

Would recommend different tires. Not that rosso2's are bad, theyre just overkill for commuting or "normal" street riding and their lifespan isnt alll that amazing. check out http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/m...ial-rear-tires

as for exhaust check out Area P. best exhausts evah.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 04:30 PM   #142
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

Try Duro HF 918 tires. Much better than the stockers, about $130 shipped for both.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #143
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
Would recommend different tires. Not that rosso2's are bad, theyre just overkill for commuting or "normal" street riding and their lifespan isnt alll that amazing. check out http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/m...ial-rear-tires

as for exhaust check out Area P. best exhausts evah.
Hmm, interesting. What do you think average lifespan of the Rosso's are in comparison to the Michelin's? I commute about 25 miles per day, plus errands once in a while. As far as pleasure/twisty riding, not too often, probably a few times a year. Fastest I go is between 55 and 75.

Old February 13th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #144
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
Try Duro HF 918 tires. Much better than the stockers, about $130 shipped for both.
I like the price, but the Amazon reviews aren't too kind regarding lifespan.

Old February 13th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #145
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
You may want to consider Bridgestone BT-45s they have good commuter life and sporty grip. They're what I'm looking into getting for my 300 since tire life is more important than absolute grip limits for my skill level.

Old February 13th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #146
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

I pounded them and got 3500 miles. Riding easy I'd bet you easily double that.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2014, 06:34 AM   #147
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
$1000 should do nicely.

In order of priority:

1) Full exhaust (I highly recommend the AreaP Quiet Core) AND rejet AND keen air + snorkel delete AND K&N panel filter... you do all these at the same time because they're all interrelated. Do just one and you'll have to go back in anyway. You can do the whole thing in a relaxed day, or an afternoon if you're already familiar with working on the bike. The hardest part is pulling the carbs out.

2) Tires. I sold my bike before I needed new shoes, but had I kept it I would have gone Pirelli.

3) Ergos (clipons and rearset adjusters, which simply move your stock rearsets... way cheaper)

4) Brake lines? Pass until it's time to replace 'em anyway. Yeah, they'll improve your brake feel but the other mods will give a more noticeable improvement in the way the bike feels overall.

Here's the thing about rejetting and doing the exhaust. It's FAR more than "ounces of power." You get a real, measurable improvement of power and torque that you can absolutely feel. The bike is TRANSFORMED by this. I liked it before I did it. I LOVED it after.

You don't have a stand? Get spools. Get stands. Now. Before anything else. They make working on the bike MUCH easier AND safer!

You CAN do all the engine and exhaust work without lifting the bike, but it's much easier if you do. I pulled my carbs out of the left side of the bike (a lot easier than working on them if they're still installed) and that's a PITA if the bike's on its side stand.

This stuff is not rocket science, but it is certainly more involved than, say, changing spark plugs. Just be patient and take it step by step.

Oh, and... go get the factory maintenance manual. Seriously. Do it.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2014, 07:14 AM   #148
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Quote:
It would be pointless to do so without rejetting performance wise. Adding pods, new exhaust, and rejetting will get you at least 5 extra hp which is significant for such a small bike. Pods and rejetting by itself will yield the most performance gains vs just doing the exhaust.
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #149
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

You guys are going to laugh, even though I feel like crying. . .

My motorcycle got stolen last night. It's gone.

Old February 14th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #150
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

And no, I'm not trolling.

Freaking thieves.

Old February 14th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #151
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Insurance? Did the guy ever come look at your bike? If so it was probably him.
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2014, 08:02 AM   #152
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
wow that sucks
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2014, 08:06 AM   #153
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentbad View Post
Yes, I have full insurance, but it's going to end up costing me the $500 deductible and plus I'll never get what I would have sold it for.

No, the guy never looked at it. I texted him and told him I'd changed my mind about selling. He didn't know where I live or work, so highly doubtful.

This totally sucks.

Old February 14th, 2014, 08:35 AM   #154
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentbad View Post
This could only be the case if he decided to show the bike from his home location. It's a good idea to ride out somewhere neutral for that reason. A good idea to show up early too so the engine cools down and they get the chance to cold start it (not as important with FI but people do prefer seeing how a bike cold starts as opposed to just starts)

This is why Theft & Fire insurance packages are a must buy with bikes. Though the risk for fire isn't really that high unless you crash theft is horridly common.

Old February 14th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #155
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
My motorcycle got stolen last night. It's gone.
That sucks! I hope you get a decent amount for it. When I crashed and totaled a bike I got more than I paid for it with the insurance pay out. Had a $500 deductible as well. You might get more than you think.

People can be real jerks! Karma will get the person responsible someday. And what kind of life is it to go around stealing bikes? No better than a crack dealers life in my mind.

Keep a positive rider's attitude and don't let it get you down.

On another note:

I know you weren't wowed by the 300, but it is reasonable affordable and easier to hop up since it's fuel injected.

That I think is the biggest plus of the 300, fuel injection. The extra power is nice, and it looks good too. Don't count it out. Maybe if you feel inclined go test ride the one you rode again with a new perspective. I just really like the 300 and thinking I'll get one again in the next year or two to replace the one I sold.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #156
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
That sucks! I hope you get a decent amount for it. When I crashed and totaled a bike I got more than I paid for it with the insurance pay out. Had a $500 deductible as well. You might get more than you think.

People can be real jerks! Karma will get the person responsible someday. And what kind of life is it to go around stealing bikes? No better than a crack dealers life in my mind.

Keep a positive rider's attitude and don't let it get you down.

On another note:

I know you weren't wowed by the 300, but it is reasonable affordable and easier to hop up since it's fuel injected.

That I think is the biggest plus of the 300, fuel injection. The extra power is nice, and it looks good too. Don't count it out. Maybe if you feel inclined go test ride the one you rode again with a new perspective. I just really like the 300 and thinking I'll get one again in the next year or two to replace the one I sold.
Thanks.

I'm not sure how long the insurance process will take, and I'm not very optimistic I won't get screwed.

But we'll see what happens.