ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 20th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #1
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

toll evasion...wtf?...

received a notice for toll evasion from FasTrak in the bay area...LOL...

dumbarton bridge, lane 7, 8/23/11, 5:07:03....

toll amount - $2.50 + $25.00 evasion penalty = $27.50

rancho palos verdes in los angeles county is 300 miles from the bay area and haven't been up there in over 25 years and i am the only one riding my cbr600...

unless i am sleep riding during rush hour 300 miles from home what do you guys think of this?...
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

possibly a scam? otherwise just a misunderstanding

Old September 20th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #3
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

it is official alright and i will be sending an explanation...

does anyone know how this toll evasion work?...unless they have a picture of the bike with the plate on it i don't know how this could happen...

Old September 20th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
they probably had a partial on the plate, matched what was close enough (your bike) and sent it. probably pretty easy to get out of but i wouldn't send any sensitive info in case its a scam

Old September 20th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #5
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

I've gotten the notices before from when the toll doesn't read my transponder. It's pretty easy to get worked out with them though. Just follow through with it and get it cleared up.

Old September 20th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i guess it's possible someone stole your plate number and is impersonating your bike in order to avoid things coming back to them... maybe that means they stole that bike as well

Old September 20th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #7
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

okay guys...thanks for the replies...

i will just tell them it wasn't me...wonder what explanation i will receive from them?...

Old September 20th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #8
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Well there should be a picture of your plate

Old September 20th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #9
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

i would like to see how they got the plate off my bike and put it back on without me noticing...

Old September 20th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #10
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Well, have you considered the obvious possibility that you evaded the toll 25 years ago in your rambunctious rebel without a cause phase, and they spent the last two and a half decades trying to track down the dastardly bandit who robbed them of their $2.50? But, Once they finally found you, 300 miles away doing the best you could to hide from the toll man's draconian law, they were mortified to see the original offending vehicle was long gone. They then quickly jotted down the plate of the only vehicle that they could find to incriminate to stick it to the man that wronged them.

It's all standard procedure
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #11
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitoy View Post
it is official alright and i will be sending an explanation...

does anyone know how this toll evasion work?...unless they have a picture of the bike with the plate on it i don't know how this could happen...
Well it may still be fake... Its called a snitch ticket. google it

As for what to do.... do you have a fast track device? If you do just give them a call and tell them whats going on

Old September 20th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #12
DerTeufel
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2009 KTM 690 SMC, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (track bike)

Quote:
received a notice for toll evasion from FasTrak in the bay area...LOL...

dumbarton bridge, lane 7, 8/23/11, 5:07:03....

toll amount - $2.50 + $25.00 evasion penalty = $27.50

rancho palos verdes in los angeles county is 300 miles from the bay area and haven't been up there in over 25 years and i am the only one riding my cbr600...

unless i am sleep riding during rush hour 300 miles from home what do you guys think of this?...
The same damned thing happened to me 4 years ago. Mine was for the Bay Bridge at 7:30am (I forget what they said the date was). I went to the link that they put on the notice to view the picture of the vehicle and plate. I drove a Mitsubishi Lancer at the time, and the picture that they had was of a VW Jetta with a partially obscured plate. At that time, I was living in Temecula, about 500 miles away, and at the time that they had listed, I was at work in Oceanside, CA. I sent them an email explaining that it wasn't me, where I was at the time, etc, and the reply I got basically said, "Pay the fine".

F*ck

That

I got on the phone and called them, asked for a supervisor, and very politely explained to them that the vehicle they got a partial plate on is not mine, I've never been to the Bay area, and that I was at work on the time and date that they had listed, and would happily have my employer send them my time sheets to prove it. I got an apology from them and never heard anything about it again.
DerTeufel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #13
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
Well, have you considered the obvious possibility that you evaded the toll 25 years ago in your rambunctious rebel without a cause phase, and they spent the last two and a half decades trying to track down the dastardly bandit who robbed them of their $2.50? But, Once they finally found you, 300 miles away doing the best you could to hide from the toll man's draconian law, they were mortified to see the original offending vehicle was long gone. They then quickly jotted down the plate of the only vehicle that they could find to incriminate to stick it to the man that wronged them.

It's all standard procedure
And it only cost tax payers $387,000 to do all that.

Pay yo tolls
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #14
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

i wrote an explanation...tell me if it is okay...

I am in Rancho Palos Verdes, a suburb of Los Angeles, 300 miles from Dumbarton Bridge. I haven't been in the Bay Area in 25 years let alone commute on my motorcycle at 5:00 pm there on a Tuesday. I am the only one using my motorcycle and unless there is photographic proof of my full license plate this whole thing is just a fishing expedition.

Old September 21st, 2011, 05:05 AM   #15
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I'd leave out the fishing thing, put in a complete description of your vehicle so they can differentiate it from what they see in their photo, and tell them exactly what you want. How about:

Quote:
I received your notice (insert notice number if given) regarding toll evasion on the Dumbarton Bridge, lane 7, 8/23/11, 5:07:03 for my vehicle, (insert type and color), CA license plate number (insert). You have made a mistake.

I am in Rancho Palos Verdes, a suburb of Los Angeles, 300 miles from Dumbarton Bridge. I haven't been in the Bay Area in 25 years let alone commute on my motorcycle at 5:00 pm there on a Tuesday. The vehicle hasn't left my possession in Southern California.

It appears you have taken a partial plate reading from a different, potentially similar vehicle and incorrectly concluded it was mine. Please consider this a challenge of the charge and fine. If I need to do something else to correct this, please let me know the appropriate procedure.

Please confirm by response to this message that you have withdrawn the fine and charge, or what else I need to do, and thank you in advance for your review and withdrawal.

Best Regards,
Gitoy the Great
If you don't hear back in a positive way within the deadline you need to pay, get someone on the phone.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2011, 05:39 AM   #16
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

Quote:

I am in Rancho Palos Verdes, a suburb of Los Angeles, 300 miles from Dumbarton Bridge. I haven't been in the Bay Area in 25 years let alone commute on my motorcycle at 5:00 pm there on a Tuesday. I am the only one using my motorcycle and unless there is photographic proof of my full license plate this whole thing is just a fishing expedition.
I would leave out the accusation of wrongdoing; bureaucrats hate that and will then look for an excuse to make the ticket stick. (Actually, anyone hates that; whoever receives this didn't send the ticket personally and is just dealing with the effects of whatever automated system spat out the paperwork.) Just state the facts.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2011, 06:46 AM   #17
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:

I am in Rancho Palos Verdes, a suburb of Los Angeles, 300 miles from Dumbarton Bridge. I haven't been in the Bay Area in 25 years let alone commute on my motorcycle at 5:00 pm there on a Tuesday. I am the only one using my motorcycle and unless there is photographic proof of my full license plate this whole thing is just a phishing expedition.

Fixed.

I've gotten a fine in the mail for a toll here in Oklahoma. It came attached with a picture of the back end of my car and of course, the plate. Seems kinda suspicious that they didn't send something like this with yours. I'd definitely do what others have suggested and just contact them and try to get things resolved without sending sensitive personal information.
Malicious Logic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2011, 01:33 PM   #18
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

just talked to customer service at FasTrak and was told that they will investigate the violation and will let me know if it will be dismissed...

Old September 30th, 2011, 11:54 PM   #19
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

okay guys and gals, just got a letter from fastrak...

based on the documentation you provided and a further review of our records, we have dismissed the violation...

i guessed they admitted that i don't commute 300 miles from home...

Old October 1st, 2011, 12:01 AM   #20
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

No pic? that's fishy.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote