ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 29th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #41
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00v_Lucky View Post
my local dealership says that the '08s actually got the better deal with the dunSlops (and that I lucked out not getting those IRCs) plus, they do not look as sporty. they do look softer tho. anything could feel softer than these dunSlops =/
There, fixed it for you...

For the canyon, they were skittish, not inspiring much confidence leaned over hard, sliding fairly soon. Course, that could have also been influenced by the poorly sprung front end for my weight and the tendency to start skipping over small bumps or ripples in the pavement. I was not too pleased... but then, I am used to Pirelli Diablo Corsas...
wyckedflesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #42
empire00
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r SE, 2015 FJ-09

yeah thats been my major problem with them, they just get very irratic very fast they seem fine then all of a sudden there all over the place im getting ready to slap a diff set on im trying to decide what i want now.
empire00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:04 AM   #43
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Yeah by no means am i an expert on this subject but as noob i haven't had any problems with this tire to date.

Only 200km on them and i'm almost already at the edge.

At 100km i went to a round about and got up to here:

and now with 100 more km of just regular road i'm here:

Have nothing to compare it with seeing how this is my first bike i don't have any stability issues. I'll be going back to the round about this Sunday to try and wear in the whole tire. Let you know how it goes.
250Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:56 PM   #44
arcman
Love to ride

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ZX10-R

Done 13k kms (~8k miles) on my '09 with IRCs, fair bit of straight riding and I'm at the wear markers on the centre with heaps of tread left on the sides on my rear and a majorly square profile, front looks almost virgin. Can't compare these to anything else as it's my first road bike but IMHO I wasn't expecting so much wear in the centre on the rear; never smoked them.

After much deliberation and searching online (especially here) I'm getting a set of BT45s.

A.
arcman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #45
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyckedflesh View Post
There, fixed it for you...

For the canyon, they were skittish, not inspiring much confidence leaned over hard, sliding fairly soon. Course, that could have also been influenced by the poorly sprung front end for my weight and the tendency to start skipping over small bumps or ripples in the pavement. I was not too pleased... but then, I am used to Pirelli Diablo Corsas...
Actually, yes, a couple of days ago my back tire did slip out a bit on a right corner. It freaked me out. My foot and peg scrapped the ground and by a miracle, I was back up. Stupid crappy long beach roads, they are beginning to loosen up where parts of the road are becoming really bad. I think that is why they are doing non-stop construction around my school. (bitter sweet)

Edit: I just noticed that comment was from March! lol.
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #46
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcman View Post
Done 13k kms (~8k miles) on my '09 with IRCs, fair bit of straight riding and I'm at the wear markers on the centre with heaps of tread left on the sides on my rear and a majorly square profile, front looks almost virgin. Can't compare these to anything else as it's my first road bike but IMHO I wasn't expecting so much wear in the centre on the rear; never smoked them.

After much deliberation and searching online (especially here) I'm getting a set of BT45s.

A.
Same exact findings on my bike front and rear with 9K miles on the IRC. Also going to BT45, though a friend really likes the Sport Demons. Anyone have experience with both the BT and the Demon?
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #47
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00v_Lucky View Post
Actually, yes, a couple of days ago my back tire did slip out a bit on a right corner. It freaked me out. My foot and peg scrapped the ground and by a miracle, I was back up. Stupid crappy long beach roads, they are beginning to loosen up where parts of the road are becoming really bad. I think that is why they are doing non-stop construction around my school. (bitter sweet)

Edit: I just noticed that comment was from March! lol.
I scrape my boot all the time and I'm sure I've felt the pegs' feelers drag multiple times too. It's not so bad if you haven't installed fixed pegs or rearsets.

It happens especially often during slow left turns with my foot hanging under the shifter so that I can up-shift.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #48
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Well after a summer of riding i'd say they're just ok. Never really slipped with them except one time that i hit a crushed water bottle in a turn with my front tire. It was dark so i didn't see it and my front slid about 2 inches outwards. I almost had to change my underwear.

They get the job done but my next set are Sports Demons, or BT-090s, but i'll see when i get there.

P.S.
They suck on mud. I know from experience.

Back on the road again Season 2010 Dam it feels good!

Old November 4th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #49
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

Quote:
They suck on mud. I know from experience.
Guess we need to get Mickey Thompson to start making some swampers for bike apps.

On that note I wonder how they would corner
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #50
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeldren View Post
Guess we need to get Mickey Thompson to start making some swampers for bike apps.

On that note I wonder how they would corner
Lol, yeah I was riding thru the mountains and it had been raining all night the day before. The roads seemed clear and I started to enjoy the roads. Came around one corner and just before the exit there was a mud slide.

Tried my best but i went down. Learned my lesson tho.

Old November 4th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #51
backinthesaddleagain

lousy on ice/snow and wet marshy fields (that looked dry when i went to park the bike)

Old November 13th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #52
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

The IRC's in my opinion are ok for dry roads....they are absolutly CRAP in the wet though, and for that reason ought not even be allowed into the US.

Riding in the rain, or on any wet road...they feel like you are riding on 10 speed bicycle tires.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #53
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I have nothing to compare against but thus far I am on the fence about the IRC tires on my '09 250R. I have found the front to feel a bit soft and slippery especially when turning in the wet even at slow speeds but then had a nail in the back and it didn't lose air or blow up after about 20km riding before I noticed it. Thus, I don't want to demonize the front when the back was possibly compliant enough to save my skin.

When putting my bike in storage the past week and describing my riding the mechanic helping me said they have held up well and if nothing better was available then another set of the same would be a good choice but I still wonder about the wet weather traction.

So having to replace the rear and wanting to do the front at the same time I'm looking for something better but don't really know what to look for other than the Bridgestones I hear such good things about.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #54
backinthesaddleagain

rode the irc tires in a noreaster - high winds and rain. we really pushed it that day (all in the name of a good cause) and the only time they let me down were when the rear went through a bed of pine needles. truthfully think that day no tire would make a difference as too much water for any tire to channel away.

Old November 19th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #55
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

I don't have any complaints about them. I've got about 6k on them and they show very little wear. They are definitely not a super grippy sport tire and it is easy to find their limits. In the rain the back tire would spin during acceleration if I got anywhere near a tar line. I don't have anything to compare it to so I will probably try out the BT45s next.
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2009, 10:24 AM   #56
backinthesaddleagain

Just got bt45 mounted on rear wheel today. Haven't ridden yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:54 PM   #57
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Just got bt45 mounted on rear wheel today. Haven't ridden yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
so far so good (50 miles). rear tire just didn't look that bad at 9500 miles. even service dept thought i could get a bit more out of it. but realized one thing quickly that the wearing of the middle seemed to make the bike lean abit more abruptly where new tire is nice and smooth in a lean. Easy leans until the tire gets a few more miles.

Old November 22nd, 2009, 09:10 PM   #58
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

So my last post was back in April. After a whole summer of riding I think they're just blah. They're not garbage but at the same time all my confidence in them is not big.

Riding in cold weather on the highway in sweeping turns the bike felt like it was slipping ever so lightly. Kinda scared me the first time, but sure enough time and time again I passed the same spot and it felt the same but it became normal.

Old November 30th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #59
dive1tom
ninjette.org member

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
so far so good (50 miles). rear tire just didn't look that bad at 9500 miles. even service dept thought i could get a bit more out of it. but realized one thing quickly that the wearing of the middle seemed to make the bike lean abit more abruptly where new tire is nice and smooth in a lean. Easy leans until the tire gets a few more miles.
Was that 9500 on the stock tires? I have 5000 miles on mine and they seem to be in good shape.
dive1tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #60
backinthesaddleagain

yeah stockers. still on original front. kind of not sure if i switched too soon everytime i go in the garage and see that 9500 mile rear tire against the wall looking not to bad.

Old January 30th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #61
CodE-E
Ninja Newbie

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): EX250K9

Got about 9500 km (5900 miles) on my IRC tires (stock on my 2009 250R), and they've still got quite a bit of tread left. The rear is getting a bit flat in the middle, but front is still very round.

I'm not all too happy with the front tire. It does seem to slip quite easily in corners, slow or fast, even in the dry. I'm a new rider without anything to compare motorcycle tires to, though. I only had the rear slip once a little bit in rainy weather, in a corner, on road markings, but I guess any tire will slip easily in that situation. When my Ninja's next service is due at 12000 km, I'll probably order a pair of BT-45s.
CodE-E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #62
Toan
ninjette.org member

Name: Toan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Silly!

This might be silly but, what is IRC? My tires say "Road Winner" Idk what the difference is. Everyday coming home from work, I love to take the long way home because of the fact that it has many twisties and i usually do not decelerate around those turns. I stay around ~40-45mph and it stays stable. I'm thinking of switching to 140's in the back, If anyone made the change to 140's tell me how it is so I know hehe. Thanks.

Happy 250Rider
Toan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #63
kkim

irc is the company that makes the tire. road winner is the model. read your sidewall.

do a search on "tires"... there have been many different sizes used on the 250 by forum members.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2010, 01:27 AM   #64
vollrathdude
ninjette.org member

Name: jordan

Motorcycle(s): '09 250r se

Stock tires on the 09 work great for twisties/track. I put scrape marks on the exhaust pipe from leaning over so far, thats how well they held up.
vollrathdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2010, 10:45 AM   #65
gizmogamez
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by vollrathdude View Post
Stock tires on the 09 work great for twisties/track. I put scrape marks on the exhaust pipe from leaning over so far, thats how well they held up.
same here, I left stock IRC's on the bike at the track last summer. I still managed to wear a hole in the heat shield on the exhauxst and wore of a good chunk of the side stand (the lower bolt on it is gone now, so i think that's about 1/4inch gone).
gizmogamez is offline   Reply With Quote