ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 5th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Zen of motorcycling

Sometimes fate, or is it luck, deals you a surprising hand, and when you eye your winning, you wonder why you deserve it. I was dealt such a hand on the 4th of July, though this is Vancouver, BC, Canada. I was on Main Street, heading north towards the Burrard Inlet and the North Shore mountains, when something intervened which probably saved my life. And it had something to do with motorcycling.

My destination was downtown, and I had in mind to go straight on Main St., and left on Hastings which ends downtown. But when I was approaching 33rd Ave., I thought about Queen Elizabeth Park on 33rd and Cambie St., a beautiful urban park on it's own hill, with lots of twisties. In my car, or were I in a hurry on my bike, I would have gone straight up Main, but being on my bike and no urgent task to perform, I thought of the park, and made a snap decision to turn left on 33rd for a little fun-interlude before heading north on Cambie and take the Cambie Bridge downtown. Originally I was in the right lane, so I switched over to the left. Upon arrival at the 33rd Ave intersection, I stopped at the red light behind one car with its left-turn signal blinking. In my place at the head of the right lane was a Mazda Miata. The light turned green, but due to approaching oncoming traffic, the car in front of me stayed put, while in the right lane, the Miata zoomed forward, as I would have done were I there in its place. A flash of white from left to right across my field of vision, a metallic crash, and the Miata was totaled by an SUV from the left running its red light.

The SUV driver was stunned by his air bag, but otherwise facing nothing more lethal than a traffic citation, but the Miata driver had to be carried on a stretcher into an ambulance. And this Ninja ZZR250 rider made his witness report, rode somberly to the park, parked down his bike, and sat on a park bench facing a pond full of ducks, wondering what the hell just happened and why.
Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #2
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

glad you're ok - must have been scary to witness!

Old July 5th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #3
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
glad you're ok - must have been scary to witness!
Thank you, Kim. If I did not change lanes, I would have been broadsided by the SUV. Impact speed about 40 mph on his part. My estimate is: left leg shattered, hip broken, left rib cage caved in, left shoulder dislocated, head snacked on the hood, back bone and neck not certain. The driver of the Miata probably sustained similar injuries, though probably less severe. He could have been the one watching my demolition.

Old July 5th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #4
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Man close call dude. glad your ok man!
Heh... did you see any "Signs" like in Final Destination?
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #5
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
Man close call dude. glad your ok man!
Heh... did you see any "Signs" like in Final Destination?
Nope, no sign. But maybe the incident itself was a sign?

Old July 5th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Chamus57
ninjette.org member

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r se

Glad you missed it and are ok. I have had similar situations where something told me not to go or do what i normally do. Sometimes i think i have a angel or two watching me. If there is one thing i have learned from riding it's to trust my instincts. Even when i am in the car, "Don't feel kewl enough to say cage yet", i see things that i know would not have been a good place to in be on the bike.
Chamus57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #7
P1NDLESK1N
ninjette.org member

Name: Dario

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Ninja 300 (Sold), 2016 Z1000

Holy crap. Glad your okay.
P1NDLESK1N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #8
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

intuition is a useful tool when utilized.
the more we tune in to our instinctive instructions, and not reason them away,
the more we recieve intuitive guidance.

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #9
imunro
Year-round rider

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ebony 250R

Wow, our infamous Vancouver drivers strike again - glad you're OK! I can't tell you how many close calls I've had; people just aren't looking.

My Albums
imunro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #10
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Glad you are OK and hope the other driver recovers. Maybe it's Zen, maybe it's just luck but the message is to always check the intersection when the light changes to see what idiot is running the light.

Old July 6th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #11
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I'm glad you avoided that crash. Sounds like you have a guardian angel looking out for you.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #12
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by imunro View Post
Wow, our infamous Vancouver drivers strike again - glad you're OK! I can't tell you how many close calls I've had; people just aren't looking.
They're like that everywhere now unfortunately

I'm glad you're ok and would like to commend you for staying put to give your report.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #13
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Sometimes we are really lucky, sometimes I wonder where I would be at if I didn't have luck on my side. Back a couple of months ago I was pulling up to a stoplight on a four lane road, I was in the right lane and I noticed as I was approaching, that the left lane had a much shorter line of cars stopped, right as I switched lanes a cell phone clad woman in a suv zoomed pass me and rear ended the suv that was stopped at the redlight. Im not superstitious or anything but now every time I come up to that stoplight I go to the left lane.

Wasn't nearly as bad as your situation could have been, but I kinda know how you feel about it.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #14
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

there everywhere...listen to them

Old July 6th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #15
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

I'm glad it wasn't you Anthony and I hope the Miata driver is OK as well

I just went out riding after reading this post and noticed I kept pausing at intersections to see if anyone's trying to beat the light before I take off.

... haha and +1 to the Vancouver drivers comment above... I *hate* driving / parking in Vancouver. Beautiful city otherwise though
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #16
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
I'm glad it wasn't you Anthony and I hope the Miata driver is OK as well

I just went out riding after reading this post and noticed I kept pausing at intersections to see if anyone's trying to beat the light before I take off.
Thank you, brother. I should ask about the Miata driver.

About your new caution, it is the same as mine, and I think would be a good habit to develop. It is well known that intersections are motorcycle killing grounds, most often by oncoming cars making a left turn. Though maintaining speed, I usually lower a gear when entering a major intersection in case I need some extra torque to get out of trouble.

Be safe.

Old July 6th, 2009, 11:13 PM   #17
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
Sometimes we are really lucky, sometimes I wonder where I would be at if I didn't have luck on my side. Back a couple of months ago I was pulling up to a stoplight on a four lane road, I was in the right lane and I noticed as I was approaching, that the left lane had a much shorter line of cars stopped, right as I switched lanes a cell phone clad woman in a suv zoomed pass me and rear ended the suv that was stopped at the redlight. Im not superstitious or anything but now every time I come up to that stoplight I go to the left lane.

Wasn't nearly as bad as your situation could have been, but I kinda know how you feel about it.
Well, Chris, look at it this way: Our type of exchange is one in which only survivors are engaged.

Old July 6th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #18
CANTFUNCTION
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250(red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_marr View Post
Thank you, brother. I should ask about the Miata driver.

About your new caution, it is the same as mine, and I think would be a good habit to develop. It is well known that intersections are motorcycle killing grounds, most often by oncoming cars making a left turn. Though maintaining speed, I usually lower a gear when entering a major intersection in case I need some extra torque to get out of trouble.

Be safe.
Also covering the controls helps you reduce your reaction time if you have to stop.
CANTFUNCTION is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #19
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Wow! that was a close one huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
the message is to always check the intersection when the light changes to see what idiot is running the light.
Ain't THAT the TRUTH!!

Another good argument for taking the long way home...
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #20
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

had my own Zen moment today was riding with another 250 rider and had been going for a while through some great curvy back roads - we had been around on 10 mph curve that hair pin doesn't even begin to describe - it was tighter than the radius in one of my bobby pins.... anyway, we were on a tar and gravel raod, and going around a curve, a guy in a pickup was coming out of the curve and his lights came on - I don't know if he was flashing at us, or if it was just coincidence, but I slowed down just in case.... wouldn't you know that right on the other side of the curve, we ran into the case I always dread on these roads - it had been "resurfaced" meaning it was more gravel than tar and gravel.... thank goodness his lights came on when they did!

Old July 7th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #21
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

One thing to say......Whoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_marr View Post
I usually lower a gear when entering a major intersection in case I need some extra torque to get out of trouble.

Be safe.
not a bad idea, although here I would be, and already am, shifting a lot.

Thanks for the idea

nb