ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 21st, 2017, 04:25 PM   #81
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
KidCBR-

a big +1 on the tank vent Your extreme heat may well be triggering a venting issue...needs to be evaluated and corrected. On the 500...its routinely suggested to remove the flapper valves on a preemptive basis.

Beyond that...has a full service (valve clearances, spark plug check, filters, etc etc) been done according to mileage schedule?

Charging system functioning? Battery fully operational? Wet type? Fluid levels checked? Terminals clean and tight?

Just some ideas to explore and eliminate.
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2017, 05:19 PM   #82
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Valves that are too tight can definitely cause difficult starting and poor idling until fully warm. They won't cause abrupt stalling though.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2017, 08:17 PM   #83
KidCBR
Red Rider

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki ninja 250 (past: 2005 CBR600 2003 CBR600 1993 CBR 900(bored to 1100 :) 1988 CBR600 Hurricane

It really is time for a check on a few of those things. mainly the valve gaps i am sure. I saw another thread on here and the guy described basically exactly what happened to me. I am wondering if he lives in a hot place as well. It didnt do this all last summer though. I was still living right here in the devils rectum. They seem to suggest a venting issue which you guys also pointed at. And that opening the gas cap and having it work would certainly point to that. I wanted to say.. I checked the coolant and the battery is nice and secure. I went to start it and it fired right up with no choke needed or throttle applied. This is stumping me. It idles just the way it should. It IS a bit cooler outside right now. I wonder if I should try a long ride through a place in the city that I know is always cooler than where I am. If it doesn't die there it might support the temperature and venting theory? I do need to have a look at the valve clearances soon. I do know what needs to be done due to proactive research. I still need to confirm if these will cause a bike to die as though a battery cable was removed. You guys rock by the way!! ^.^ Thanks in advance!
KidCBR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2017, 09:59 PM   #84
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Don't overthink it and make things complicated. The very next it dies, open the gas-cap and see if it starts. If it does, forget EVERYTHING else until you do the gas-cap mod.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2017, 02:48 AM   #85
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCBR View Post
Bought some of this as I didnt want to lose access to the screw hole. Upon inspecting it, the tank wasnt fully punched through. The screw apparently had only began to make a hole but the tank material was still there. Bought a tube of J-B Weld 8217 Steel reinforced compound epoxy and fashioned a booger of that into a tube that would fit into the screw hole. I then took the bolt and screwed it all the way down. This caused the weld to spread out over the slits that had formed. I screwed it all the way down until I could see no weld in the hole. This meant it was all the way spread. made a second booger and screwed that almost all the way down. after about 30 minutes I tipped the gas tank to the problem side... NO LEAK!!
That's about what I would have done. JB Weld is pretty amazing stuff. I have a 2007 also and when I removed my body parts I kept the original tank screws separate from everything since I read about that problem here. I think that they are 12mm in length. Good going.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2017, 02:54 AM   #86
Ram Jet

Quote:
A shop told me that I possibly overlooked the plugs. So I got some new ones and BAM!!! Now after a couple of weeks of smooth sailing I'm running into yet another issue. Bike seems to hate anything above 5000 rpms -.- If it makes it that high it will basically shut itself off... something else to deal with. I kinda figured something like this would happen during the "dusting off" period. Not sure where to start. It seems like either fuel or electrical but I am certain its not the carb or the spark plugs anyway gonna be taking it apart to check a few things. maybe a clogged fuel filter? Airbox? any suggestions will be taken into consideration. Thanks in advance!
Make sure the vent hole in your gas cap isn't plugged. There's a thread here somewhere on disassembling the gas cap. There are some very delicate/fragile parts in there so be careful.

Bill

Old June 22nd, 2017, 06:37 AM   #87
KidCBR
Red Rider

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki ninja 250 (past: 2005 CBR600 2003 CBR600 1993 CBR 900(bored to 1100 :) 1988 CBR600 Hurricane

Will definitely try opening the gas cap. It will be 117 today so yeah... plenty of heat to recreate the issue. Will keep you guys posted!!

Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:53 AM   #88
Ram Jet

Quote:
I am thinking this is a possibility. Looking around online it seems its about time for this to be done mileage wise. I will have to crack it open this weekend if it survives the week. This will cause an abrupt shut off? Hard start? Seeming like it needs to "cool down" before it will run again? I'm wondering if it doesnt shut off when overheating also... its damn hot here. need to check my coolant.
I think it would be very difficult to overheat the 250 Ninja unless your radiator needs flushing. I have a 193 degree thermostat in mine and the temperature gauge never climbs over 1/2 way in the white zone and that was after a very hot run and rapid slow down. I suppose, since the Ninja's valve clearances have been known to tighten-up with miles, that a hot engine could hold a valve off it's seat.

Bill

Old June 23rd, 2017, 07:48 PM   #89
KidCBR
Red Rider

Hmm. Its been about 5,000 miles since I did it last. Will definitely keep a better eye on it

Old June 25th, 2017, 05:38 AM   #90
KidCBR
Red Rider

coolant flushed. Still running hot. My friend seems to think either the water pump or thermostat is on the blink. He says the vapor locking might be caused by the fuel being exposed to more heat than normal. 116 degree weather + an overheating engine.... any thoughts?

Old June 25th, 2017, 09:33 AM   #91
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Will definitely try opening the gas cap. It will be 117 today so yeah... plenty of heat to recreate the issue. Will keep you guys posted!!
Did you confirm the cap vent as the issue?

As I implied in post #01....I'd remove both flapper valves on a proactive basis and simply be done with it. Move forward from there.
Re hot running...at 116F ambient, its obviously going to run hotter than a 250 in the Northeast, for example, at 80F. A consult with a dealer service department in YOUR SPECIFIC AREA may be called for. Is what you are experiencing considered "normal" in your area? Are other owners experiencing the same in the current heat wave?
There may not be a problem at all. Some extreme temps there. May be in your best interests to (at least) inquire with a local area pro.
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2017, 02:09 PM   #92
KidCBR
Red Rider

Tested the thermostat and it's definitely not opening. looking around for a replacement now