ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 1st, 2017, 10:54 PM   #41
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
It would be very odd if there were no way to adjust the headlight. I don't have a newgen, but I quickly found this thread with some clues:

https://forums.ninja250.org/posting....&t=69205&tro=1
It's no mystery. I found the headlight adjustment in the O.E.M Service Manual.
It appears that you have to remove the front fairing, probably the instrument cluster and then you have access to the vertical and horizontal adjustment screws on the back of the headlight unit. My low beam is a-little low and it's staying that way.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2017, 05:15 AM   #42
MLR
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Looked at 3 different bikes today, 2 supersports, GSXR 1000 and a ZX6R, and 1 sports tourer, a GSX1400.

The 1400 is the oldest and has spent time outdoors, it needs to be stripped and given a good polish and clean, it had 35k km, the others were nice and clean with relatively low km.

Sadly the 1400 also just had some punter drop a "small" deposit on it just before I got there, it is also the bike I like most out of them all, it would suit my needs for transport plus it would be fun restoring it to its former glory, with a bit of customising thrown in, hopefully the deal falls over so I can swoop in on it.

Going looking for more suspects tomorrow, there are plenty of bikes out there, some are reasonably priced, some are ridiculously priced.
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2017, 06:50 AM   #43
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
My low beam is a-little low and it's staying that way.
I don't have the newgen manual(s), but my pregen manual shows plastic guides you insert a screwdriver in to do the vertical and horizontal adjustments. No disassembly is required. I'd be surprised if you really have to remove the fairing to aim a newgen headlight.

The pregen information and photos are on page 15-28 of the '87-'88 base manual (not the supplement).

For a 300, there's a YouTube video that shows the vertical adjustment screws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-pp-1UUjqs Maybe the newgen 250s are similar.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 2nd, 2017, 08:27 AM   #44
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
I don't have the newgen manual(s), but my pregen manual shows plastic guides you insert a screwdriver in to do the vertical and horizontal adjustments. No disassembly is required. I'd be surprised if you really have to remove the fairing to aim a newgen headlight.

The pregen information and photos are on page 15-28 of the '87-'88 base manual (not the supplement).

For a 300, there's a YouTube video that shows the vertical adjustment screws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-pp-1UUjqs Maybe the newgen 250s are similar.
Pages 15-27 and 15-28 cover the headlight adjustment. The only photos they show of the headlight on the bike are without the fairing. I don't think it's possible to adjust the headlight without a considerable amount of disassembly. I have a pre-gen by the way - and glad of it.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2017, 11:41 PM   #45
MLR
ninjette.org member

So, after not getting a new bike I have decided to spend a little on the little Ninja.

I fleabayed some cheap adjustable gold rear sets (sato knock offs) and a seat cowl.

I'm not expecting marvelous reviews about either, but, in saying that you get what you pay for.

I'm kinda excited to try the rear sets, I cannot get comfy on the oem sets, hopefully the adjustability of the after market ones will see me right, if they fit and if they dont brake that is.

I'm also keen to see how much extra storage I get with the cowl instaled, it sould double the space if my hap hazard guesstimations are correct, I'm hoping enough room for a light rain jacket, my padlock and air line.

Old June 23rd, 2017, 12:44 AM   #46
MLR
ninjette.org member

In other news I removed my pillion pegs in prep for the seat cowl.

The bracket is only temp, alloy bar 3mm x 40mm was reclaimed from the scrap bin.

Once the rear sets are on I will fab up something nice (it's as solid as a brick shithouse but the only bar I could find was 40mm which looks to wide).

I'm thinking 4mm x 20mm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170623_172339.jpg (63.6 KB, 3 views)

Old June 24th, 2017, 06:45 PM   #47
MLR
ninjette.org member

Found some 20mm x 3mm alloy.

Job done.

Now I just need some parts to play with.

Oh, and maybe ride it more......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170625_113854.jpg (152.0 KB, 5 views)

Old July 3rd, 2017, 03:30 AM   #48
MLR
ninjette.org member

Cheap eBay rear sets didn't fit, where the master cylinder mounts isn't in line with the foot brake, I would need to fabricate a spacer and move the MC rearward to line it up correctly, which seems problematic without major butchering.

Also no place for return spring or brake light switch to mount.

Also mounting the shift linkage was a no go without more modification.

I suppose this is what I get for trying to go cheap.

I might be able to salvage some of the parts and make a mounting bracket out of some alloy plate for the master cylinder and try to sort out the link, as for the shift side, I will need to remove the stock front pillow ball and see what I can do there.

At this stage they are thrown in the back of the garage to either be modified, or more likely, stripped for the fittings and binned.

They did look good though when they came out of the box, LOL.

Looks like they're going to be staying OEM for the foreseeable future.

I hope when the seat cowl turns up it fits.

I have no one but myself to blame buying cheap parts on eBay.

Will I ever learn..........

Old July 29th, 2017, 08:17 PM   #49
MLR
ninjette.org member

Rear cowl in on, quality is OK.

Only issue with supplied parts was there was no grommet supplied for the plug which holds the back of the cowl on, I made one out of a rubber spacer I had laying around.

Also the rubber bum stop was rubbish, I bined it and will fill/paint the holes, if I could be bothered, maybe I may use some push in plastic plugs, I may just use some small black stickers, I may just leave them and call them speed holes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170730_130559.jpg (121.2 KB, 1 views)

Old July 29th, 2017, 09:06 PM   #50
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR View Post
I may just leave them and call them speed holes.
That's your best bet.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2017, 09:27 PM   #51
MLR
ninjette.org member

Quote:
That's your best bet.