ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 17th, 2017, 06:11 PM   #7761
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
I gave Serenity and Phoenix a bath today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG3277.jpg (83.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG3282.jpg (82.7 KB, 5 views)

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2017, 08:14 AM   #7762
wayanlam
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

Did another 200km ride today with a friend on a Ninja 300, sadly the tank bag took away from the gopro chest strap position. but it was a fun ride

at one point i got this shot though, it was raining, there was gravel, and a dog and its pup was crossing mid turn, ha ha

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old June 18th, 2017, 09:04 AM   #7763
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayanlam View Post
Did another 200km ride today with a friend on a Ninja 300, sadly the tank bag took away from the gopro chest strap position. but it was a fun ride

at one point i got this shot though, it was raining, there was gravel, and a dog and its pup was crossing mid turn, ha ha

Maybe you should get a dirt bike and stop riding bicycle trails. :-)

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2017, 12:43 PM   #7764
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Installed some resistors to get my LED signal lights to work properly again.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2017, 04:41 PM   #7765
wayanlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Maybe you should get a dirt bike and stop riding bicycle trails. :-)

Bill
actually... Google maps sent me down this road, ha ha!

i would not have been as amused with this bridge had i been in the car, LOL

Old June 18th, 2017, 08:28 PM   #7766
Ram Jet

Quote:
actually... Google maps sent me down this road, ha ha!

i would not have been as amused with this bridge had i been in the car, LOL
I was actually just teasing you a-bit - I think you know that. I would have loved to have been traveling with you. It looked like a very scenic tour.

Bill

Old June 19th, 2017, 06:06 AM   #7767
wayanlam

Quote:
I was actually just teasing you a-bit - I think you know that. I would have loved to have been traveling with you. It looked like a very scenic tour.

Bill

this was along the similar route i did the weekend before

here was a drive around town last week.

Old June 19th, 2017, 08:19 AM   #7768
Ram Jet

Quote:

this was along the similar route i did the weekend before

here was a drive around town last week.

Holy smokes, you are using every one of those 300cc's not to mention the road. Has anyone ever passed YOU? You must have been averaging 80 k.p.h from Seminyak to Ubud. You see a hole in traffic and go for it. I didn't see one traffic control sign in your videos. You are a damn good rider/driver but if I rode on the back of your bike I'd either have a heart attack or my hair would be chalk white when I got off. Beautiful country by the way. Thanks for sharing that, now I have something to aspire to. PLEASE be careful! What in the hell would you do with a 1,000 cc bike - yikes!

Cheers,
Bill

Old June 19th, 2017, 08:48 AM   #7769
wayanlam

Quote:
Holy smokes, you are using every one of those 300cc's not to mention the road. Has anyone ever passed YOU? You must have been averaging 80 k.p.h from Seminyak to Ubud. You see a hole in traffic and go for it. I didn't see one traffic control sign in your videos. You are a damn good rider/driver but if I rode on the back of your bike I'd either have a heart attack or my hair would be chalk white when I got off. Beautiful country by the way. Thanks for sharing that, now I have something to aspire to. PLEASE be careful! What in the hell would you do with a 1,000 cc bike - yikes!

Cheers,
Bill
Yeah, ive kinda sworn myself off ever getting a bigger sports bike, it would be just too crazy on these roads... i prefer to push the bike to the limit, rather than the bike push me way past my limits.

just recently started to ride again actually, been a busy last 3~4 years, and somehow just never really took my bike out for a good ride. used to spend a fair bit of time on my 2009 Ninja 250 back when i had that (back when i posted a lot on these boards ), but somehow just got sucked up with so much work and family, that when i got the Z250 back in 2014, i barely ever drove it, lol

really happy to have the bike up in power now though, since the bore up, its hellish fun in the corners with that added grunt

ps. sometimes occasionally someone passes me... either i try and catch up and pass for the chalange, or if they are driving waaaaayyyy to sketchy, i let them have it... there are definite lines i avoid crossing, cause its just too stupid bat$it crazy, lolz

Old June 19th, 2017, 09:55 AM   #7770
Ram Jet

Quote:
Yeah, ive kinda sworn myself off ever getting a bigger sports bike, it would be just too crazy on these roads... i prefer to push the bike to the limit, rather than the bike push me way past my limits.

just recently started to ride again actually, been a busy last 3~4 years, and somehow just never really took my bike out for a good ride. used to spend a fair bit of time on my 2009 Ninja 250 back when i had that (back when i posted a lot on these boards ), but somehow just got sucked up with so much work and family, that when i got the Z250 back in 2014, i barely ever drove it, lol

really happy to have the bike up in power now though, since the bore up, its hellish fun in the corners with that added grunt

ps. sometimes occasionally someone passes me... either i try and catch up and pass for the chalange, or if they are driving waaaaayyyy to sketchy, i let them have it... there are definite lines i avoid crossing, cause its just too stupid bat$it crazy, lolz
If I ever have to remove my cylinders I will definitely consider the overbore to 300cc. I would imagine that at 300cc there's no more room for a maintenance overbore - like if you score a cylinder and have to repair it. Since you're so close to Australia I'll consider you to be in the land "downunder".

Enjoy your beautiful country.

Cheers,

Bill

Old June 19th, 2017, 06:24 PM   #7771
Ram Jet

Overdrive

About 15 miles on the 14/45 set, 300 on the 15/45 and now 15/42. I just installed a 42 tooth rear sprocket. Sweet! 1st gear feels like most other motorcycles I've ridden and 6th gear lost 500 R.P.M at 60 M.P.H. The bike feels more composed and a-bit more comfortable at cruising speeds. Since I have Yoshimura mufflers I can clearly hear every power pulse. The reduced R.P.M. has made the exhaust note a-lot sweeter - and tolerable.

I'm nearly done tinkering except for my oil pressure gauge. Gawd, I don't want to remove that upper fairing again.

Bill

Old June 19th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #7772
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

So, technically this is yesterday's project, but after finishing up just before midnight, I figured it was ok to delay write-up:
2017-06-18 15.36.29.jpg

This started out as a simple sprocket and chain replace. After spending nearly a year in mothballs while I was living in a place that had some very shady parking, I finally started checking out Perigee to get 'er back in shape.

Several chain links had seized and it had been stretched badly in places and was too tight in others. Also was scraping the sprocket cover. Basically, way past time for a new chain. Sprockets were 8+ years old and starting to wear, but not bad, but visible. Surprisingly, I was able to remove the first 15T I put on with just a 2' breaker bar and standing on the rear brakes - no cheater bar or 2x4 required, unlike the first time around in 2009-ish.

While removing the rear wheel to get to the rear sprocket, I noticed the rear rotor was way under minimum thickness spec. Like, hard to pull the brakes off because the un-worn lip on the outer rim was making really tough to remove the rear caliper. Doing that, I found out one of the pistons had seized as well. Got it moving, but the seals were hosed.
Fortunately, I have a small stock of parts from a good friend, @Yakaru, whose ninjette met an untimely end.

After replacing the rear caliper & rotor with parts I had on hand, I realized I still needed to do the swingarm service... never been done on my 2008. Equal parts procrastination and no good access to a carport/garage/good ladder when I had the motivation to do it.

Now that I've got a house, tossed some eye bolts in the ceiling of the carport and put her up. Started removing bolts from the rear suspension and guess what... more seized bits. The bolts had rusted to the bushings. 20 sweaty minutes with an aluminum rod & a 3lb hammer later, everything came apart. Also courtesy Hotaru's parts pile, installed almost-new rear shock & uni-track linkage thingy.

Clean everything, add grease, lots of grease, reassemble, press on new chain, align rear wheel/set chain tightness, check torque/tightness on everything, clean up, go to bed ~midnight.

Replaced:
Chain
Front sprocket
Rear sprocket
Uni-trak linkage
Rear shock
Rear caliper
Rear rotor

Notes:
1) Don't put moto in mothballs for that long... ride more
2) Do your freakin' swingarm/suspension maintenance. Had I not had literally almost a whole second bike's worth of parts in my basement, this would've been expensive and I would've been waiting for weeks on parts.
3) Don't lift the bike above rear stand height unless you have a safe way to lower it slowly... ask me how I know
4) Next weekend: carb cleaning and re-tune

Old June 19th, 2017, 07:43 PM   #7773
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
So, technically this is yesterday's project, but after finishing up just before midnight, I figured it was ok to delay write-up:
Attachment 43057

This started out as a simple sprocket and chain replace. After spending nearly a year in mothballs while I was living in a place that had some very shady parking, I finally started checking out Perigee to get 'er back in shape.

Several chain links had seized and it had been stretched badly in places and was too tight in others. Also was scraping the sprocket cover. Basically, way past time for a new chain. Sprockets were 8+ years old and starting to wear, but not bad, but visible. Surprisingly, I was able to remove the first 15T I put on with just a 2' breaker bar and standing on the rear brakes - no cheater bar or 2x4 required, unlike the first time around in 2009-ish.

While removing the rear wheel to get to the rear sprocket, I noticed the rear rotor was way under minimum thickness spec. Like, hard to pull the brakes off because the un-worn lip on the outer rim was making really tough to remove the rear caliper. Doing that, I found out one of the pistons had seized as well. Got it moving, but the seals were hosed.
Fortunately, I have a small stock of parts from a good friend, @Yakaru, whose ninjette met an untimely end.

After replacing the rear caliper & rotor with parts I had on hand, I realized I still needed to do the swingarm service... never been done on my 2008. Equal parts procrastination and no good access to a carport/garage/good ladder when I had the motivation to do it.

Now that I've got a house, tossed some eye bolts in the ceiling of the carport and put her up. Started removing bolts from the rear suspension and guess what... more seized bits. The bolts had rusted to the bushings. 20 sweaty minutes with an aluminum rod & a 3lb hammer later, everything came apart. Also courtesy Hotaru's parts pile, installed almost-new rear shock & uni-track linkage thingy.

Clean everything, add grease, lots of grease, reassemble, press on new chain, align rear wheel/set chain tightness, check torque/tightness on everything, clean up, go to bed ~midnight.

Replaced:
Chain
Front sprocket
Rear sprocket
Uni-trak linkage
Rear shock
Rear caliper
Rear rotor

Notes:
1) Don't put moto in mothballs for that long... ride more
2) Do your freakin' swingarm/suspension maintenance. Had I not had literally almost a whole second bike's worth of parts in my basement, this would've been expensive and I would've been waiting for weeks on parts.
3) Don't lift the bike above rear stand height unless you have a safe way to lower it slowly... ask me how I know
4) Next weekend: carb cleaning and re-tune
Sounds like you made a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Like that old saying goes "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". You've paid your pound and saved your bike from being "partsed out" on eBay. Be glad it's June and not September, you'll have all summer to enjoy the fruits of your labor. It's a good time to tackle the carbs while it's sort of torn apart.

Bill

Old June 19th, 2017, 10:49 PM   #7774
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
After replacing the rear caliper & rotor with parts I had on hand,
[...]
Also courtesy Hotaru's parts pile, installed almost-new rear shock & uni-track linkage thingy.
Super glad you had Hotaru's bits and that they're going to good use. I miss that bike but she lives on in spirit.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 20th, 2017, 01:35 AM   #7775
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Amazon has Sti-Bil Marine Formula 32oz for $18.79 plus $6.00 off total price is $12.79 for 32oz!!! I've ordered 2, had to make separate orders, can't beat that price.

STA-BIL 360 22240 Marine with Vapor Technology, 32 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CAW2DK..._e0nszbZB5H1Z8

ZX-2R BLOG

Old June 20th, 2017, 07:17 AM   #7776
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Amazon has Sti-Bil Marine Formula 32oz for $18.79 plus $6.00 off total price is $12.79 for 32oz!!! I've ordered 2, had to make separate orders, can't beat that price.

STA-BIL 360 22240 Marine with Vapor Technology, 32 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CAW2DK..._e0nszbZB5H1Z8
Several years ago my father had a stroke and went into a nursing home. I was watching over his estate and put his 1988 Cadillac in the garage and added some Stabil to the fuel tank. After his death 6 years later. I liquidated his estate and kept the Caddy. I ran every drop of that 6 year old fuel through the tank. Had I not added the Stabil I would have had to drain all the gas out of it. I don't use Stabil for the three or four months I don't ride my bike here during the Michigan winters.

Good stuff.

Bill

Old June 22nd, 2017, 08:14 PM   #7777
Ghostt
in your machine

Not work on the Ninjette, but work never the less.

A good friend I go riding with has a Suzuki M50 stopped by to go for a ride, he just got a new front tire, and as asking me about brakes, he said the front was feeling spongy.

So I looked and the brake fluid was the color of Coca-Cola, I said at the very least he should flush and fill it, then I got that look, so into the house I well and got my tools out, and just did it for him.

End result is he was happy with it, he said it never felt that good, and firm, lots of feel. I told him when it's time for new shoes bring it back, and I service the caliper as well.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:50 PM   #7778
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Not work on the Ninjette, but work never the less.

A good friend I go riding with has a Suzuki M50 stopped by to go for a ride, he just got a new front tire, and as asking me about brakes, he said the front was feeling spongy.

So I looked and the brake fluid was the color of Coca-Cola, I said at the very least he should flush and fill it, then I got that look, so into the house I well and got my tools out, and just did it for him.

End result is he was happy with it, he said it never felt that good, and firm, lots of feel. I told him when it's time for new shoes bring it back, and I service the caliper as well.
I bleed my brake annually. That's not necessary you say. Let me tell you that after one year in the bike the brake fluid changed from crystal clear to a slight amber color. I guess I'm cautious because my other bike is a dinosaur and was only made for two years. The only way I've kept it running for eight years was eBay parts and a-lot of TLC. I belonged to a website like this one that features this bike and read horror stories about guys brakes going south and they couldn't get parts. Most of these bike wind up getting parted-out on eBay. Brake fluid is hydroscopic and absorbs water like a sponge. I even once where H2O can even migrate through rubber brake lines (I to this day have my doubts about that). Once a can of brake fluid is opened I never use what's left over - I have another job for that. If you think about it it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to completely flush your brakes and it costs about $5.00. Why not. When I bought my Ninja in March it was the first thing I did. The 10 year old brake fluid was the color of root beer and I could see small black particles run out of the wheel cylinders as I was bleeding the brakes. But, most owners don't keep their bikes for more than two years so they don't give a toot.

Just sayin'.

Bill

Old June 24th, 2017, 07:56 AM   #7779
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Oil change and new rear tire. Didn't realize it'd been a year since I'd done either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0218.jpg (86.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170623_170034.jpg (67.5 KB, 3 views)
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2017, 08:56 AM   #7780
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
Bought a 2014 ninja 300 with just under 1300 miles on it, yesterday that had been in a crash for $1000 after several hours last night, it's put together and runs great. Just why is there no temp gage on the 300's?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170624_104816.jpg (85.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170623_190148.jpg (253.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170624_104320.jpg (197.1 KB, 6 views)
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2017, 10:46 AM   #7781
frud
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Sadly I sold my 250 today and picked up his big brother, a 2017 Ninja 650. The 250 will always have a special place in my heart.
frud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2017, 11:30 AM   #7782
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
Bought a 2014 ninja 300 with just under 1300 miles on it, yesterday that had been in a crash for $1000 after several hours last night, it's put together and runs great. Just why is there no temp gage on the 300's?
There's still an idiot light, but the full gauge has been gone since Kawi traded it's slot for a fuel gauge when they started the last-gen 250 (R) in 2008. Do I hear a custom/upgraded dash in your future?

Old June 24th, 2017, 01:28 PM   #7783
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
Quote:
. Do I hear a custom/upgraded dash in your future?
Probably not, just making sure there is a safe gard in case there becomes an overheating problem.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2017, 03:48 PM   #7784
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Sliders and more stickers....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0624171700-1.jpg (97.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0624171657a-1.jpg (97.0 KB, 5 views)

Old June 24th, 2017, 04:05 PM   #7785
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
Who cares, the 250's gauge is about as useful as an idiot light anyway.

Bill

Old June 25th, 2017, 02:33 AM   #7786
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
That is a nice looking slip or full exhaust!
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2017, 06:59 AM   #7787
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBO View Post
That is a nice looking slip or full exhaust!
Full Brocks system.

Old June 25th, 2017, 07:09 AM   #7788
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Hey once I get my bike up and running again, we'll have to ride a bit.

I'm in Lima for good now.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2017, 10:02 AM   #7789
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Oil and filter change.
Replaced side mirrors.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #7790
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

Quote:
Full Brocks system.
Thanks for the info, looking to get their Sprint Air Filter as soon as I get my bike back from the shop.
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2017, 01:37 PM   #7791
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Everything they do is great quality.

Old June 27th, 2017, 02:58 PM   #7792
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Husband ordered me a rear shock from a 300.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2017, 03:06 PM   #7793
Ghostt
in your machine

I decided to go with the 32 carbs for Serenity after testing them out last year for Ducatiman, I was pleased with them, and liked the overall feel of the bike with them Vs 30s OEM.

For more information link
30 to 32mm carb conversion/experiment

ZX-2R BLOG

Old June 27th, 2017, 03:09 PM   #7794
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
without getting too personal, the 300 rear shock might be a bit too stiff depending on your weight.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old June 27th, 2017, 05:37 PM   #7795
CaliGrrl

Hoping it'll be ok. I'm not the lightest weight girl...

Old June 27th, 2017, 07:38 PM   #7796
Ghostt
in your machine

While on my test ride after installing the 32s, I had a wasp find its way into the cuff of my jacket, and it does what it does, started stinging my wrist, my throttle side.

I felt the first few hits, I then took my wrist and started hitting my leg, but I finally got it in the end.

I'm not allergic to them, it just a bit sore at the sting points.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old June 28th, 2017, 12:32 AM   #7797
Ram Jet

Quote:
Hoping it'll be ok. I'm not the lightest weight girl...
It appears that this shock has a preload adjuster. You should be OK. You might find adjusting the preload with the shock installed challenging. You might want to set the preload adjuster to the light side before you install it.

Bill

Old June 28th, 2017, 05:56 AM   #7798
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
You might want to measure the overall length of both shocks and do some research before installing it. Different systems of mounting provide different leverage ratios and completely different requirements for spring rates.

If it checks out and you do install it, I would do some basic suspension set-up before hitting the road. Setting the sag (preload) correctly on the front and the rear will help make sure you don't have any odd handling issues.

It's not difficult, but does require 2 people.

Here's a link to some basic info about setting sag - http://sonicsprings.com/catalog/sett...ch_article.php

Having it set correctly makes a big difference in the way the bike will handle.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2017, 11:07 AM   #7799
CaliGrrl

Quote:
You might want to set the preload adjuster to the light side before you install it.
Will do. We're looking at the 300 one because it's stiffer than my stock shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I would do some basic suspension set-up before hitting the road. Setting the sag (preload) correctly on the front and the rear will help make sure you don't have any odd handling issues.

It's not difficult, but does require 2 people.

Here's a link to some basic info about setting sag - http://sonicsprings.com/catalog/sett...ch_article.php

Having it set correctly makes a big difference in the way the bike will handle.
Yep, thanks for the link. Husband and our roommate have been doing a lot with suspensions lately on their bikes. Will definitely be setting things up.

Old June 28th, 2017, 03:41 PM   #7800
Ram Jet

Quote:
Will do. We're looking at the 300 one because it's stiffer than my stock shock.

Yep, thanks for the link. Husband and our roommate have been doing a lot with suspensions lately on their bikes. Will definitely be setting things up.
After your shock is installed and all set-up please let us know how you like it. I installed an EX500 shock and so far I like it.

Bill