ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old June 15th, 2017, 06:40 PM   #1
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Need help buying service manual

Found a cheap supplement manual 2005 so it would have my 2001 in there. Do I still need to get the original service manual AND the supplement? Or does the supplement have everything I need? I understand how supplements work but do I need both? I imagine getting just the supplement for $20 is too good to be true. Thanks

Can I just go cheap and get one on a CD and print it? I know the Kawasaki would be the best but I've seen people here say they've gotten the dowloadable pdf versions.
A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2017, 07:40 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
You need the base manual and the supplement to have everything. I got a CD with both from an eBay seller in Canada, and it was much less than $20.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2017, 07:48 PM   #3
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
You need the base manual and the supplement to have everything. I got a CD with both from an eBay seller in Canada, and it was much less than $20.
Yeah just found one for 9.50 on eBay comes to my email. I'll give it a try. Worst that can happen is I piss away $9.50 but I've done worse.
Not paying over $100 for both the base and supplement. Thanks, everyone is helpful as always.

Old June 16th, 2017, 07:11 AM   #4
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Well I got it. Nice little manual however it's for the EX250R-J and having a 2001 I have an EX250R-F so I messaged him and asked him if he has the right one his listing didn't specify but I told him the year of my bike over and over. I need it to adjust the valves and set the timing so don't know if I can use this one or is it nothing more than cyber toilet paper to me?
Maybe you can answer that @Triple Jim

Old June 16th, 2017, 07:19 AM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

If you have a manual for an EX250-J, you have a manual for newgens. You need the base manual and supplement for the EX250-F (pregen). Newgen valve adjustment is completely different from pregen valve adjustment.

If the guy refuses to help, just let eBay know the product you received is substantially different from the description, and refer to the message(s) you sent that specified the year of your motorcycle.

Old June 16th, 2017, 08:45 AM   #6
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
If you have a manual for an EX250-J, you have a manual for newgens. You need the base manual and supplement for the EX250-F (pregen). Newgen valve adjustment is completely different from pregen valve adjustment.

If the guy refuses to help, just let eBay know the product you received is substantially different from the description, and refer to the message(s) you sent that specified the year of your motorcycle.
Yep I've always had good luck with eBay when handling issues. I messaged the guy and told him he sent me the wrong manual. I'll give him til late this evening to answer me before I open a case. He has 100% positive feedback so I'm sure he will either send me the right one or refund my money. Bummer too because the PDF file for the manual I got is very high quality. His listing I took screen shots of so he can't change it because it doesn't specify which years the manual is. He should do so in the future. I'm not worried about it, will work itself out. If he refunds my money I'll probably just stop being a cheapskate and get one from Kawasaki's website lol. Thanks

Old June 16th, 2017, 08:52 AM   #7
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
Yep I've always had good luck with eBay when handling issues. I messaged the guy and told him he sent me the wrong manual. I'll give him til late this evening to answer me before I open a case. He has 100% positive feedback so I'm sure he will either send me the right one or refund my money. Bummer too because the PDF file for the manual I got is very high quality. His listing I took screen shots of so he can't change it because it doesn't specify which years the manual is. He should do so in the future. I'm not worried about it, will work itself out. If he refunds my money I'll probably just stop being a cheapskate and get one from Kawasaki's website lol. Thanks
I've got a brand new O.E.M. service manual that I bought from Kawasaki direct. I bought two manuals by mistake. It's still sealed in plastic. It's yours for $30.00 plus shipping. If you're patient you may be able to find a used on on eBay for less.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2017, 09:00 AM   #8
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

I just found the service manual online it was made in 2007 so I don't need a supplement. So this guy is just copying this and charging people lol. Oh well if he sends this file to me I'll call it a day but damn lol

Old June 16th, 2017, 09:04 AM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I can't tell you what that manual is for sure, but there is a base manual and a supplement for later pregen models. Don't be sure that because it was made in 2007 that is covers the base material.

My supplement manual does not cover removing the starter motor, for example, it just refers to the base manual in that section.

Old June 16th, 2017, 10:05 AM   #10
Ram Jet

Quote:
I can't tell you what that manual is for sure, but there is a base manual and a supplement for later pregen models. Don't be sure that because it was made in 2007 that is covers the base material.

My supplement manual does not cover removing the starter motor, for example, it just refers to the base manual in that section.
Just so nobody gets screwed buying a copied or phony manual here are the Kawasaki part numbers for both - I would get both. Haynes is OK but makes no mention of the importance of lining up the marks on the clutch spring plate with the clutch basket.

Service manual - 99924-1066-01
Supplement - 99924-1109-66

Bill

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 17th, 2017, 06:14 AM   #11
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Just so nobody gets screwed buying a copied or phony manual here are the Kawasaki part numbers for both - I would get both. Haynes is OK but makes no mention of the importance of lining up the marks on the clutch spring plate with the clutch basket.

Service manual - 99924-1066-01
Supplement - 99924-1109-66

Bill
@Ram Jet I really appreciate that buddy that helps out a lot. Just gonna go ahead and spend the money and get the right manuals. I went the cheap route and it didn't work. Get what you pay for so to speak. I feel like a service manual is a must have for these bikes if you plan to do any work yourself.

Old June 17th, 2017, 07:27 AM   #12
Ram Jet

Quote:
@Ram Jet I really appreciate that buddy that helps out a lot. Just gonna go ahead and spend the money and get the right manuals. I went the cheap route and it didn't work. Get what you pay for so to speak. I feel like a service manual is a must have for these bikes if you plan to do any work yourself.
"I feel like a service manual is a must have. . .", Absolutely, it'll pay for itself and help you avoid making a serious boo boo. I can't figure out why guys will spend $300.00 - $500.00 for slip-ons and wince at the cost of a service manual.

Cheers,

Bill

Old June 17th, 2017, 10:18 AM   #13
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
I can't figure out why guys will spend $300.00 - $500.00 for slip-ons and wince at the cost of a service manual.
Oh, I bet you know why.

Old June 17th, 2017, 04:06 PM   #14
Ram Jet

Quote:
Oh, I bet you know why.
Yeah, I think it's the age old battle between brains and testosterone.

Bill

Old June 24th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #15
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Hey guys/ladies so I'm ready to buy the service manual to my 2001 Ninja 250 and went to Kawasaki and it appears as though they cannot be bought off their site right now. I will call them Monday to see if maybe I can do it over the phone. Is there another place I can find the manual? I prefer the Kawasaki manual over another brand as I've heard mixed reviews when it comes to the Clymer manuals etc. Appreciate all the help. Also not seeing anything on Ebay either.

AJ

Edit: Is this even legit?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clymer-M241-...VYIWnL&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-SHO...5T8ms8&vxp=mtr

Old June 24th, 2017, 03:57 PM   #16
Ram Jet

Quote:
Hey guys/ladies so I'm ready to buy the service manual to my 2001 Ninja 250 and went to Kawasaki and it appears as though they cannot be bought off their site right now. I will call them Monday to see if maybe I can do it over the phone. Is there another place I can find the manual? I prefer the Kawasaki manual over another brand as I've heard mixed reviews when it comes to the Clymer manuals etc. Appreciate all the help. Also not seeing anything on Ebay either.

AJ

Edit: Is this even legit?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clymer-M241-...VYIWnL&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-SHO...5T8ms8&vxp=mtr
I have never been a big fan of Clymer manuals. I have the Haynes (got it with my bike) and it's OK but mixes your bike and the Vulcan in one manual. I think it's a-bit sketchy and is incorrect in the section about disassembling the clutch basket, but better than nothing. I bought two factory manuals directly from Kawasaki by mistake. I'll make you the same offer as the eBay Haynes manual. It's still in the original plastic as it came from Kawasaki. Let me know (billalbertson@mail.com).

Cheers,

Bill

Old June 25th, 2017, 08:27 AM   #17
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I have never been a big fan of Clymer manuals. I have the Haynes (got it with my bike) and it's OK but mixes your bike and the Vulcan in one manual. I think it's a-bit sketchy and is incorrect in the section about disassembling the clutch basket, but better than nothing. I bought two factory manuals directly from Kawasaki by mistake. I'll make you the same offer as the eBay Haynes manual. It's still in the original plastic as it came from Kawasaki. Let me know (billalbertson@mail.com).

Cheers,

Bill
@Ram Jet SOLD buddy I really appreciate that. My mom is buying it for me as a bday present she said it sounds great. I'm assuming PayPal would be the method? If not can always mail you a check or money order and once you get tour cash you can mail it to me. However you prefer. Just let me know I'll email you all my info; address etc. Thanks!
Just so we are clear it's a 2001 Ninja service manual? And I've emailed you.

Edit: Thanks everyone for your help Ram Jet and I have an agreement for his extra service manual. Appreciate it! Looking forward to doing the rest of the maintenance and work on my own!

Last futzed with by A.J.; June 25th, 2017 at 12:30 PM.

Old June 25th, 2017, 01:46 PM   #18
Ram Jet

Quote:
@Ram Jet SOLD buddy I really appreciate that. My mom is buying it for me as a bday present she said it sounds great. I'm assuming PayPal would be the method? If not can always mail you a check or money order and once you get tour cash you can mail it to me. However you prefer. Just let me know I'll email you all my info; address etc. Thanks!
Just so we are clear it's a 2001 Ninja service manual? And I've emailed you.

Edit: Thanks everyone for your help Ram Jet and I have an agreement for his extra service manual. Appreciate it! Looking forward to doing the rest of the maintenance and work on my own!
Weird! I'm sending it on my birthday. You have a nice looking bike. If you get stuck in the rain sometime you might wish you had a front fender. A right hand rear view mirror isn't a bad idea either.

Get your tools ready.

Bill

Old June 26th, 2017, 08:22 AM   #19
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Weird! I'm sending it on my birthday. You have a nice looking bike. If you get stuck in the rain sometime you might wish you had a front fender. A right hand rear view mirror isn't a bad idea either.

Get your tools ready.

Bill
@Ram Jet

Bill, already told you through email that I will take your words of wisdom very seriously! Matter of fact I've been searching for a front fender today! Lol
Now when you say front fender I'm assuming upper front fairing? You know, the one the windshield goes on? I also think it looks better on the bike. Ive got plenty of tools so I'm ready for the manual. First project is eliminating the fender without one of those fancy $100 eliminator kits. And happy birthday!

Old June 26th, 2017, 09:02 AM   #20
Ram Jet

Quote:
@Ram Jet

Bill, already told you through email that I will take your words of wisdom very seriously! Matter of fact I've been searching for a front fender today! Lol
Now when you say front fender I'm assuming upper front fairing? You know, the one the windshield goes on? I also think it looks better on the bike. Ive got plenty of tools so I'm ready for the manual. First project is eliminating the fender without one of those fancy $100 eliminator kits. And happy birthday!
The fender I was referring to was the one over your front tire that fits between the fork legs. If you get caught in the rain someday your legs will be soaking wet from your hips down without a front fender. I wasn't referring to your upper fairing that the windshield fastens to. Actually the Ninja doesn't look bad without the upper fairing. Mine is staying since this is the first bike I've owned with a full fairing - although the fairing has a-lot to do with getting knocked around on the road in a strong crosswind. If your talking about abbreviating or eliminating your rear fender it won't cost you $100.00. There's an article here somewhere that describes how to do that cheaply and easily. Help us out guys. Who posted that article? I like my rear fender. In fact I added to it by making a small rubber flap that protects that area on the front of the rear fender. It keeps all the road crud off my rear shock absorber. The original shock looks like hell and the EX500 shock I got on eBay looked brand new so I wanted to keep it nice. I'm glad to hear you have a-lot of tools. Some folks approach their bike maintenance with nothing more than a screwdriver, a pair of pliers and an adjustable open end wrench (Crescent wrench).

Get to work!

Bill