ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 20th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #1
wayanlam
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

Radiator Fan Problems

meh, so i just came back from the dealer and i thought we had fixed my little problem by just replacing the fuse, but i think i was wrong.

so what happened was that last week i must have driven over some newly laid asphalt/road, and somehow a little pebble shot up, and bounced off the engine block and landed in the fan!... (what are the chances of that happening -.-! )

anyhow, this stone ended up jamming the fan when i was stuck in some traffic and the water temp was raising... to the point that the temp gauge light turned on. i parked the bike and had a look (at the time i dint know what the problem was) and i could hear the fan trying to spin, but it was totally stuck.

the next day i was messing about trying to figure out what the problem was and finally got the stone out with a piece of paper that i slid between the fan and radiator... talk about high tech equipment, lol

anyhow, i thought that would have fixed it, so i went out again, but nope... fan still didnt run, and i got stuck in traffic again, and the radiator light turned on again -.-!

soo.... i went to the dealer this morning and they opened up the fuse box and we found the fan fuse was bust, changed it out and i went to work, hoping that would be all.

i got to work, and parked the bike, but left the engine running, and usually after a short time the fan kicks in, but as i was looking, i saw the fan turn on for only a second or two, then die again im guessing the fuse might have blown again, but that means that there must be some kind of problem with the radiator fan...

anyone have problems of this sort? he he...
wayanlam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

This isn't the first time I've heard of this, but it may be the first time i heard it on the ninjette. Same exact cause (rock stopping fan, causes a fuse to blow out and perhaps damage the fan motor). The fix from the case I'm remembering was to unfortunately to replace the fan (after going through a few fuses). The good news is that they are quite cheap.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #3
wayanlam

i wonder if the warranty covers it... i asked at the dealer and they were like "warranty only covers the engine!!"

and i was like "isn't the radiator part of the engine?" lol... they just looked at me and couldn't come up with an answer, and ended up blaming the stone, and not the engine xD

ill probably drop off the bike tomorrow and just leave it there so they can mess about with it, and take my car to work~ sigh...

Old July 20th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #4
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Factory warranty covers the whole bike, not just engine!
Posted via Mobile Device
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Warranty terms differ by country. It may very well cover the entire bike, or there may actually be different terms in Malaysia. Find the fine print and see what you signed when you purchased the bike...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #6
wayanlam

lol... already upon purchasing the bike there was some fine print that i didn't read... when i placed the deposit on the bike they were selling for $4.900 but it took them 2 months to get the bike, by which time the price went up another $100... i was like "HEY... that's not the price i agreed upon!" and they said "look here next to where you signed, in really small print! "

d-oh...

anyhow, tomorrow ill find out if its covered or not, and if not, how much it will cost

Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:57 AM   #7
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I hope it is covered for you!

Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:04 AM   #8
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

the little coil probably oveheated in the fan...and it wouldnt tank long with all that hot coolant flowing by it! Props to you on stoping when your light came on!

Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:10 AM   #9
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Tough break. We had the exact same thing happen to my dad's C4. Sure it's a car not a bike, but the fan got stuck and burned out. Then just kept eating up fuses, so we replaced it with a new fan and radiator combo from ecklers.

I hope the stealership honors the warantee and doesn't stiff you.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:16 PM   #10
wayanlam

just opened up the bike to check the fuse box this morning, and sure enough it did burn through again. ill have to bring in the bike one of these days to get the fan replaced.

i was talking to the spare parts guy at the dealership, and he told me its happened to one other person, and that they got it replaced w/o paying... how accurate that is im not sure. ill have to find out when i get the time to drop her off.

i do hope i didn't damage the engine, since i didn't turn the bike off right away when the radiator light came on the first time, i think i must have ridden on for another 2~3 minutes (in slow traffic) before i realized it was even on.

the second time it turned on the day after i did stop the bike and had to wait for the traffic to clear up, so i could get a clear patch of road to drive faster to get enough air circulating, lol...

anyhow, as long as i'm not stood in one place for more than a minute or two, or not stuck in slow moving traffic, its not a problem. never the less, 1st priority is to get her fixed up! its not nice being constantly paranoid about overheating whenever i'm riding,