ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 30th, 2016, 05:33 AM   #1
ZeroGravity360
Just sittin on my stool..

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Alternatives to motorcycle jackets?

So I have been looking into alternatives to buying expensive gear with armor. Instead, I was thinking of buying stand alone armor and wearing them over or under long sleeve shirts or hoodies. I found this for women (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...t?ColorId=8152) I was wondering if anyone uses something simular? I know it doesn't protect the arms, but I think it's much cheaper and safer than most jackets with foam back pads. I am looking for something I can wear with anything to protect my spine and chest.
Does anyone else use external armor and not a jacket?
ZeroGravity360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2016, 06:08 AM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Just a prediction; this thread is going to blow up in your face, probably worse than some of your other threads. Gear is a passionate subject with motorcyclists who have crashed, myself included. Get the flame suit on.

Personally, an external armor suit without any abrasion protection is an easy sign of a squid. That's very much a parking lot stunter crowd thing to do.

What's your plan for abrasion protection? For street riding accidents, I personally think abrasion (road rash) is the single biggest thing to protect yourself from. I'd take a good jacket without a spine protector over external armor and a T shirt any day. Look into Speed and Strength jackets; while they have a "dual density" foam pad in the back, it's loads better for energy absorption than the crappy piece of pillow stuffing I've gotten in other jackets. It's still not a CE certified piece of actual armor, but it's better than others.

Remember, armor absorbs energy from impact, leather and/or cordura protect from abrasion (sliding). In a street riding situation, you're going to fall at most 3-4 feet, but you'll likely be moving 35mph+ when you slide across the ground. What type of protection should you budget your money for?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old July 30th, 2016, 06:15 AM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
No experience with that scenario, mostly because it's a bad idea IMHO.

I see squids doing this a lot. Mostly it's the male version of that ICON vest and nothing else... sneakers, baggy jeans and a T-shirt or hoodie are the preferred uniform for these guys.

Here's why, in my view, it's a poor strategy if you actually want to protect yourself. You will, no doubt, come to your own conclusions. This is just my point of view on the subject of protection and alternatives.

Consider what happens when you hit the ground. It's basically like coming into contact with a running belt sander.

I'm sure you're aware that any clothing you might be wearing over the armor will pretty much vanish in a second. Anything not covered by the armor will then be in direct contact with the ground.

But what about the armor? Well, like that belt sander, the road is abrasive. It's going to try to grab the armor and rip it off of you. Maybe it will, maybe it won't... but if it does that leaves your hide sliding along the ground. Care to apply that belt sander to your elbow or butt?

Good-fitting leather jackets are preferred for protection for multiple reasons:

1) Being abrasion resistant, they keep whatever's inside the jacket, whether armor or skin, from coming in contact with the road.
2) They slide, allowing you to come gently to a stop.
3) They're relatively stiff and fitted, and will keep the armor in place unlike a loose textile jacket.

I noticed you used the word "expensive," which means you're prioritizing money. The implication is that it's as important to you as safety... if it weren't, would you even be asking the question? Think long and hard about that.

Nothing wrong with being frugal, but is this really the place to skimp? This is your life we're talking about.

Here's some reality just to keep things in perspective. Let's say you go down and your armor keeps you from breaking any bones, but you do need a decent-sized skin graft. Not out of the question, right? After all, the armor isn't covering everything. You said yourself it won't cover your arms. All you'll have is a long-sleeved shirt or hoodie (your words).

Aside from the pain and disfigurement, it'll involve a hospital stay of at least a week. That will cost upwards of $20,000 or more. Now, if you've got good insurance, you'll only pay a fraction of that... but it'll still be enough to have paid for a full suit of good leather gear.

At the end of it you'll have a hideous scar at the very least and you still won't have good gear.

I'm not making these numbers up. Last fall I was in the hospital for five days for a simple infection. The bill was almost 20 grand, and my out-of-pocket was $750. That's no surgeries, no procedures, just IV antibiotics and a bed.

Take a moment and read the blog post below... it's short and to the point.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php?b=8384

Bottom line: Ask yourself if you'd be willing to jump out of a moving car wearing whatever gear you choose to ride in. Would you feel confident in doing so?

My $0.02: Think about the consequences before you think about your wallet. In a year you won't even remember what that good gear cost.

PS: Leathers are badass and sexy. Just sayin'.

Edit: Here's an image of where most of the impact/ abrasion is likely to take place. The darkest spots are the most likely. Forearms, elbows, shoulders, knees/shins and hips... all the places that vest does not cover.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 30th, 2016, 06:17 AM   #4
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
It's like Mr. Fist and I are the same person right now!

Old July 30th, 2016, 06:22 AM   #5
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Cycle gear continually has some decent gear on sale for great prices. Check close outs at newenough.com check revzilla for closeouts. I ride around in $1500 worth of gear, but I used to have similar protection that I paid only $300 for.

Buy MOTO gear for riding your motorcycle. It's designed for it.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 30th, 2016, 06:23 AM   #6
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Just a prediction; this thread is going to blow up in your face, probably worse than some of your other threads. Gear is a passionate subject with motorcyclists who have crashed, myself included. Get the flame suit on.

Personally, an external armor suit without any abrasion protection is an easy sign of a squid. That's very much a parking lot stunter crowd thing to do.

What's your plan for abrasion protection? For street riding accidents, I personally think abrasion (road rash) is the single biggest thing to protect yourself from. I'd take a good jacket without a spine protector over external armor and a T shirt any day. Look into Speed and Strength jackets; while they have a "dual density" foam pad in the back, it's loads better for energy absorption than the crappy piece of pillow stuffing I've gotten in other jackets. It's still not a CE certified piece of actual armor, but it's better than others.

Remember, armor absorbs energy from impact, leather and/or cordura protect from abrasion (sliding). In a street riding situation, you're going to fall at most 3-4 feet, but you'll likely be moving 35mph+ when you slide across the ground. What type of protection should you budget your money for?

Lol wow. Okay, I just want to clarify that asking questions to better understand situations shouldn't be something that "blows up in your face" I already have a jacket, but buying different jackets for different weather and situations is hard enought with out trying to find one with armor pockets. And sometimes that $200-300 jacket comes with foam pads or no pads at all but offers great abrasion resistance. I was looking into Kevlar underwear shirts to wear under the armor, I feel it's a much cheaper option than buying 3 or 4 different jackets. Also it's going to be kind of funny having people give me crap for asking this question but they ride in jeans... Same thing same concept.

Old July 30th, 2016, 06:48 AM   #7
ZeroGravity360

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...attalion-jeans
I also have a legitimate question over Kevlar jeans. These just went on clearance and was wondering if anyone uses these too??

Old July 30th, 2016, 06:58 AM   #8
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Is the bike your only mode of transportation?

What I'm getting at is, is it really necessary to own 3 sets of gear for different weather?

Personally I've made it work with a commuting set (which, as you pointed out, includes jeans and shouldn't) of gear and a race suit for having fun. But I have a cage and hate riding in bad weather. I've also stopped commuting on the bike. Only times it goes out are for fun rides, aka, in the race suit. This was because of my eye opening when it crashed at the track.

I'll be honest, the armor sounds like a good idea as a supplement to an existing jacket (like a mesh jacket, which are notorious for being terrible protection) but not as a stand alone piece of gear. Is that fair?

Old July 30th, 2016, 07:08 AM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I have a similar pair of Kevlar padded jeans, but not that particular brand. I crashed while wearing them, and they did their job well. I slid out in a turn at about 35 mph, hit the ground pretty hard, and slid across the road to a stop. I had only slight abrasions in a couple small spots, and no bleeding. The pants had a couple small tears, one exposing the Kevlar padding. The padding was not significantly damaged, and my daughter repaired the tears for me.

Since then I bought a pair of racing style leather pants that can be zipped to my jackets. I've crashed a couple times on the supermoto track at speeds like 30 or so, and hitting the track in those pants felt like falling into a pile of feathers. The pants are available in perforated and non-perforated leather, and I got the perforated, since the track is closed for most of the cold season. They're amazingly cool to wear in summer weather, as long as I keep moving.

Because of the extreme protection of the leather pants, I've been mostly wearing those on the street, going to the Kevlar padded pants only when I'm going to go somewhere where I'd be uncomfortable and/or silly looking in leather racing pants. I do believe that Kevlar padded jeans are way better than regular jeans, and good to have as a choice.

The Kevlar jeans are AGV Sport "Midnight" and the leather pants are AGV Sport "Willow".
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2016, 07:10 AM   #10
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Is the bike your only mode of transportation?

What I'm getting at is, is it really necessary to own 3 sets of gear for different weather?

Personally I've made it work with a commuting set (which, as you pointed out, includes jeans and shouldn't) of gear and a race suit for having fun. But I have a cage and hate riding in bad weather. I've also stopped commuting on the bike. Only times it goes out are for fun rides, aka, in the race suit. This was because of my eye opening when it crashed at the track.

I'll be honest, the armor sounds like a good idea as a supplement to an existing jacket (like a mesh jacket, which are notorious for being terrible protection) but not as a stand alone piece of gear. Is that fair?
Fair enough. I never planned to wear it alone, but with less expensive pieces of gear like Kevlar shirts. I have a ss throttle body jacket that is horrible in the rain or anything above 80. That's why I was thinking of getting this so I would be able to wear a rain jacket just over my armor instead of buying a really expensive rain jacket made for motorcycle riding. Yes I have a car, but the #1 reason I bought my bike was to commute and save on gas.

Old July 30th, 2016, 07:35 AM   #11
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Okay, so you're determined to ride in the rain. That's cool! Changes things a bit.

Quirky thing about gear when you're in hot temps; I've found that my textile jacket was hotter than my leather suit while moving. When stationary, the opposite was true. The new fabric used for breathable panels is amazing, along with perforated panels. Just something to look for.

The only thing I can add for wet weather riding is kinda silly but would have saved me a lot of hassle. Don't forget about your electronic devices. Roll up a couple gallon size ziploc bags in your riding backpack or jacket or wherever and pile your phone, tablet, etc in it if the sky looks like rain. Even if your backpack is "waterproof", keep some plastic bags in it, just in case. Nothing sucks worse than a surprise rain storm that rolls in at quitting time, then ruining your cell phone on the way home.

If I were you, I'd consider a waterproofing additive on your current textile jacket/reinforced pants to deal with occasional rains, then get something that's more high temperature friendly for when it's really hot out. But I'm a wimp and don't ride in rain if I can avoid it, so you probably want something better for the rain I'm guessing.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Old July 30th, 2016, 09:10 AM   #12
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

For the kind of riding I do, which is riding for fun in nice weather, one jacket is all I need. I have an Alpinestars perforated leather Jaws jacket. It's cool enough in hot weather (still sweating at stops of course), and I can squeeze a thermal sweatshirt under it and a cheapo rain jacket over it (quite effectively blocks wind) in cooler temps. The cheapo rain jacket would work over it just as well as over just armor, and the leather jacket provides much, much better protection.

My point is, spend the money on one nice jacket, don't go overboard with a bunch of different ones for every variance in the weather.

Though, were I to start doing touring, I'd want to get a different jacket that is weatherproof.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2016, 10:13 AM   #13
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I have a 4-season jacket that works ok for almost all situations. It's textile that's treated to be waterproof, has a goretex liner and warmer layer that both zip out, and has decent mesh panels that zip open and closed. Been completely waterproof when I've ridden in the rain. It is a tad warm for hot days but it's bearable once you're moving. Perhaps that's the route you want to go.

Old July 30th, 2016, 10:43 AM   #14
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
My rule is dress for the crash not just the ride. Expensive gear is always cheaper than hospital bills

Now, Kevlar will protect you in slow speed crashes so will textile. For highway speeds leather is best.

As for a jacket, you can get a textile or leather jacket without armor and then add the stand alone. Since you are just starting the Kevlar and textile might work for this season.

Winter is the best time to buy, you can get left overs and last year's models or even discontinued models cheap.

The stand alone protection will help with broken bones but not burnt skin.

Old July 30th, 2016, 10:49 AM   #15
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

What about wearing an armored shirt with a leather jacket over top? I've seen plenty of riders go this route and it works pretty well. Just need a legit leather jacket with this leather.

If you google knox armored shirt you'll find some good ones.

Old July 30th, 2016, 11:56 AM   #16
motodancer
ninjette.org member

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 08 250

I have a jacket and pants that zip into each other and both come with removable inner liners (remove for hot weather, put in for colder weather)

As for rain gear, we bought regular rain jacket & pants that fit over our moto gear. They are large enough to fit over them, but still tight enough where they won't be loose and water will go inside and get our gear wet anyway.
But that's just for special circumstances. We don't go out riding if it's raining or the weather has predicted rain.

As much as I'd love to commute on the bike, it's just not doable right now where I live and work so it's more of a fun hobby for us. BUT it has worked out having the bike such as when my car needed repairs. I took my man's car, and he rode the bike to work (he doesn't trust me to ride on the streets by myself yet, and I totally agree)
motodancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2016, 12:41 PM   #17
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
My rule is dress for the crash not just the ride. Expensive gear is always cheaper than hospital bills

Now, Kevlar will protect you in slow speed crashes so will textile. For highway speeds leather is best.

As for a jacket, you can get a textile or leather jacket without armor and then add the stand alone. Since you are just starting the Kevlar and textile might work for this season.

Winter is the best time to buy, you can get left overs and last year's models or even discontinued models cheap.

The stand alone protection will help with broken bones but not burnt skin.
I plan to buy better gear when everything goes on sale, unfortunately buying a leatherjacket righ now is not an option for me. I do not feel complete safe in just jeans so I am going to purchase the aura jeans by agv. I'm pretty big in the hip area and after research those jeans that went on clearance wouldn't fit my hips even in the biggest size. It's really hard to find decent cheap gear as a woman. But next season I plan to have better gear!

Old July 30th, 2016, 01:00 PM   #18
adouglas
Cat herder

My rain solution:

Size large Frogg Toggs over leathers. Cheap. Packable. Works. No compromise on protection.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old July 30th, 2016, 01:05 PM   #19
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
My rain solution:

Size large Frogg Toggs over leathers. Cheap. Packable. Works. No compromise on protection.

Is this for pants too? Where do you order?

Old July 30th, 2016, 01:08 PM   #20
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity360 View Post
It's really hard to find decent cheap gear as a woman.
I learned about that when my daughter got her motorcycle license and I started shopping for Christmas and birthday presents for her. It seems like at least 90% of motorcycle gear for women is pink, or has pink on it, and she doesn't like pink any more than I do. I've been lucky enough to find some stuff for her that's not pink, but it takes work.

Check out the "customers' closet" section of motorcyclegear.com I found her a really nice used leather jacket that's barely broken in for something around $90. Also regularly check clearance items on the various motorcycle gear web sites. She picked up a pair of women's black racing style pants for $50+shpg on clearance early this year.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2016, 01:42 PM   #21
adouglas
Cat herder

Amazon is your friend...

I have bibs for the lowers: https://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-A...rogg+toggs+bib

The jacket is actually an old bicycling windbreaker, but Frogg Toggs makes something equivalent...

Just do a search on Amazon. Frogg with two Gs, Toggs with two Gs.

Old July 30th, 2016, 02:17 PM   #22
Sinanju
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ask me

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Since we're on the topic of gear, any recommendations for gear that can be worn underneath normal clothing? Particularly, underneath a pair of scrubs.
Sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2016, 02:20 PM   #23
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Frog toggs or road toads both go over your gear, they make both pants and jackets for rain use.

Check out first gear for good pricing, it's good stuff for starting out at good prices.

Kevlar and textile are better than jeans. If you do wear Jean get all cotton if you can, it won't melt agains your skin. Wearing armor under or over clothing is better than nothing.

Something else you can do...if you find something that is to long (pants) you can have them altered. I know someone who cut off textiles and hemmed them so they would fit.

Not sure if Ducati of Indy would be helpful but they might be able to get stuff in for you to try on.

Old July 30th, 2016, 02:45 PM   #24
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinanju View Post
Since we're on the topic of gear, any recommendations for gear that can be worn underneath normal clothing? Particularly, underneath a pair of scrubs.
The only things I'm aware of that go under stuff just add armor not really abrasion resistance. Great for under Kevlar jeans etc if you need to look normal.

Is there a reason you couldn't wear over pants?
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2016, 03:16 PM   #25
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
That's basically what the OP asked. Discussion (and hopefully useful answers) about whether or not that's a good idea are above.

I can only speak for myself... my own priorities dictate that protection is mandatory because the cost (monetary and personal) of injury is far too high to contemplate anything else.

Therefore I adjust my expectations and practices to accommodate wearing the best protection I can.

In my case this has proven to be quite easy. I just put my work clothes in a backpack and visit the rest room for five minutes to change when I get to the office. Seriously, that's all it takes.

You'd have to do that to remove the gear under your scrubs anyway, right? So what's the point of choosing not to wear proper gear?

Old July 30th, 2016, 03:19 PM   #26
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

There is a few things I been noticing since owning a "sport bike"

First , everyone who rides a sport bike , is stereotyped for being a ****** , careless , reckless , law breaking hooligan aka squid.
Also if you don't have a full suit of gear on - you're a squid as well

I've noticed this to be mostly true and I refuse to even ride with or associate with locals / friends who ride this way.
I personally try to avoid that stereotype at all costs and well, with safety being my main focus when riding , it's easy to avoid the squid-life

But what I haven't noticed was, why do cruiser-style bike owners ex: Harley's , seem to be exempt ?
Them dudes wear a brain bucket, jeans and if on a good day , maybe a wife beater shirt.
The only crack at them was by south park with the episode that referred to them as "f a g s" lmao
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2016, 03:40 PM   #27
adouglas
Cat herder

Exempt from what? Getting judged? By whom?

Again I speak only for myself. I don't judge people. I may disagree with the choices they make, but it's their life and their risk.

I've also reached the age at which I couldn't care less what people think of me or the choices I make. Waste of time to worry about that crap, IMHO.

Old July 30th, 2016, 03:46 PM   #28
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

When I showed up to the last MSF Sportbike Course I took, in my leathers, even the instructors looked at me like I was crazy lol. Everyone else was in long sleeve shirts, mechanics gloves and a joe rocket mesh jacket :P

Old July 30th, 2016, 04:07 PM   #29
Sinanju
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
In my case this has proven to be quite easy. I just put my work clothes in a backpack and visit the rest room for five minutes to change when I get to the office. Seriously, that's all it takes.

You'd have to do that to remove the gear under your scrubs anyway, right? So what's the point of choosing not to wear proper gear?
I have to wear scrubs to work, but I don't have a locker large enough to store a change of clothes or my helmet. I've been looking for something along the lines of armored-base-layers. The closest thing I've found are Forcefield's PRO PANTS and PRO SHIRT X-V. They provide the necessary protection from impact, but lack protection from abrasion. These would be perfect if I could find some Kevlar-lined scubs.
@ZeroGravity360
Check out Forcefield's Product Page. I think they have what you're looking for. Pair this with some Kevlar-lined jeans from Tobacco and a normal leather jacket and you wouldn't look like you're wearing moto-gear at all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
When I showed up to the last MSF Sportbike Course I took, in my leathers, even the instructors looked at me like I was crazy lol. Everyone else was in long sleeve shirts, mechanics gloves and a joe rocket mesh jacket :P
Hah! When I took my MSF class, there was one guy who showed up in all-leather gear; jacket, gauntlets, and boots. Mind you, this was late-May in Texas. Temps were already in the low to mid-90s. So, when we took a break, that guy took off his jacket and sweat poured out from his sleeves! Not drip, but POURED! He had to buy a change of shirt from the closest mall during our lunch break. Perforated leather is good when you're moving, but moving at less than 20mph and at a stand still...your body suffocating

Old July 30th, 2016, 04:27 PM   #30
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Quote:

Hah! When I took my MSF class, there was one guy who showed up in all-leather gear; jacket, gauntlets, and boots. Mind you, this was late-May in Texas. Temps were already in the low to mid-90s. So, when we took a break, that guy took off his jacket and sweat poured out from his sleeves! Not drip, but POURED! He had to buy a change of shirt from the closest mall during our lunch break. Perforated leather is good when you're moving, but moving at less than 20mph and at a stand still...your body suffocating
For the regular BRC I would have probably worn the kevlar jeans. I wear the non-perf jacket everywhere though and it doesn't really bother me. Anywhere you're standing around for a while just zip it down almost all the way to air out.

Old July 30th, 2016, 04:32 PM   #31
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Exempt from what? Getting judged? By whom?

Again I speak only for myself. I don't judge people. I may disagree with the choices they make, but it's their life and their risk.

I've also reached the age at which I couldn't care less what people think of me or the choices I make. Waste of time to worry about that crap, IMHO.
So essentially you're agreeing with the point I was trying to make about the whole thread itself
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2016, 05:06 PM   #32
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
I have to wear scrubs to work, but I don't have a locker large enough to store a change of clothes or my helmet.
So just curious... what do you do in the winter or when it rains? No place to store an overcoat?

I like the Forcefield stuff, BTW, but only under a proper abrasion-resistant outer layer.

Old July 30th, 2016, 07:38 PM   #33
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I wouldn't recommend anything that lacks abrasion protection, so your hoodies wouldn't be a good choice in my opinion.

A good jacket will likely come with some armor in it. My leather one came with elbow armor. I added a back-pad for pretty cheap that tucks into the pocket formerly occupied by that silly foam pad that comes with it.

Pants- I have two pair of kevlar-lined denim jeans, and one pair of all-kevlar-lined leggings from go-go-gear that I really like. The denim pants look normal enough that I can wear them running errands and all, but still will resist abrasion. I had them tailored for very little money since I had to buy a pair in the wrong size. She took in the waist and hemmed them for .... $30? All three pairs came with knee pads.

I have a textile jacket as well as my leather one, but it's too warm and I hardly wear it. Sometimes at night, since it's high-viz yellow, but for the most part I wear the perf-leather one, which is fairly comfortable even in hot weather. It was at least high 80s today, possibly over 90, and I was still happy in my jacket.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2016, 09:55 PM   #34
Sinanju
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
So just curious... what do you do in the winter or when it rains? No place to store an overcoat?
I ride when the weather permits during the winter season. I have a multi-layered mesh jacket that I wear during those times.There's no problem storing a jacket at work. There's a coat rack in our break-room, and if that's full, I can just hang it on a chair at the nurse's station.
However, I find it ideal for me to just wear a base layer that provides impact AND abrasion resistance under my uniform since it's just convenient. It eliminates the necessity of having to carry a backpack to store a change of clothes in. It's a minor inconvenience, but I was really hoping someone might have heard of a base layer that provided impact and abrasion resistance.
Quote:
I like the Forcefield stuff, BTW, but only under a proper abrasion-resistant outer layer.
I replaced the back and elbow protectors on my A* leather jacket to Forcefields. The elbow protectors are more flexible than the stock pads and the back protector is just leaps and bounds better than the piece of foam it replaced.

Old July 31st, 2016, 01:48 AM   #35
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
I have to wear scrubs to work, but I don't have a locker large enough to store a change of clothes or my helmet.
So where do you keep your helmet? If there's a place big enough for your helmet it's big enough for a backpack, right?

Don't need a locker. I don't have a locker at work either. Helmet goes on my desk, jacket goes on the chair, pants go under the desk along with the backpack.

Quote:
There's no problem storing a jacket at work. There's a coat rack in our break-room, and if that's full, I can just hang it on a chair at the nurse's station.
My wife's a nurse and worked for years in a hospital. Familiar with the environment... and I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find a spot somewhere to stash your stuff during your shift. Corner of the break room, tucked out of the way under a desk, etc.

Quote:
However, I find it ideal for me to just wear a base layer that provides impact AND abrasion resistance under my uniform since it's just convenient. It eliminates the necessity of having to carry a backpack to store a change of clothes in. It's a minor inconvenience, but I was really hoping someone might have heard of a base layer that provided impact and abrasion resistance.
Look at it this way: If you wear enough armor to fully protect you from both impact and abrasion under your scrubs... you're essentially wearing an armored jacket anyway. So why not just wear a proper armored jacket over your scrubs? That's actually more convenient, because you can just take the jacket off and hang it instead of taking your scrubs off, removing the armored shirt, and putting the scrubs back on.

For the reasons cited above (pavement grabbing onto the armor), it's not ideal IMHO. For one thing, the Forcefield shirt you mentioned offers zero abrasion resistance. The fabric is there only to keep the pads in place... once it rips, the pads go bye-bye. It's designed to be worn UNDER your leathers, not instead of them.

Protection is a system. The outer layer (preferably leather) offers abrasion resistance and keeps the armor in place.

Point is, armor under your scrubs does nothing to protect your skin except where the armor is placed. And if you're in healthcare, you KNOW how nasty skin grafts can be.

Just imagine what happens when you go pavement surfing in scrubs.... Think this guy has armor everywhere he's in contact with the pavement?

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old July 31st, 2016, 04:18 AM   #36
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
I wouldn't recommend anything that lacks abrasion protection, so your hoodies wouldn't be a good choice in my opinion.

A good jacket will likely come with some armor in it. My leather one came with elbow armor. I added a back-pad for pretty cheap that tucks into the pocket formerly occupied by that silly foam pad that comes with it.

Pants- I have two pair of kevlar-lined denim jeans, and one pair of all-kevlar-lined leggings from go-go-gear that I really like. The denim pants look normal enough that I can wear them running errands and all, but still will resist abrasion. I had them tailored for very little money since I had to buy a pair in the wrong size. She took in the waist and hemmed them for .... $30? All three pairs came with knee pads.

I have a textile jacket as well as my leather one, but it's too warm and I hardly wear it. Sometimes at night, since it's high-viz yellow, but for the most part I wear the perf-leather one, which is fairly comfortable even in hot weather. It was at least high 80s today, possibly over 90, and I was still happy in my jacket.

I'm in between buying the aura jeans by agv and the go go leggins. The jeans will allow me to go places with out burung up and looking silly. I read go go leggings are just so hot in the summer. It's very humid here. But the jeans don't have armor.
I was also thinking of getting an alpinestars shoe so I don't have to carry my shoes in my backpack when I go to work. I only own sidi boots right now.

Old July 31st, 2016, 04:31 AM   #37
Sinanju
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
So where do you keep your helmet? If there's a place big enough for your helmet it's big enough for a backpack, right?
On top of the breakroom fridge.
Quote:
Don't need a locker. I don't have a locker at work either. Helmet goes on my desk, jacket goes on the chair, pants go under the desk along with the backpack.
Rest of my gear stored in a backpack. Backpack tucked away by the trashcan and UPS at the nurse's station at work.

Quote:
My wife's a nurse and worked for years in a hospital. Familiar with the environment... and I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find a spot somewhere to stash your stuff during your shift. Corner of the break room, tucked out of the way under a desk, etc.
It's not really a problem, but more of an inconvenience. My university has large enough lockers that I can store my gear in; My workplace does not.

Quote:
Look at it this way: If you wear enough armor to fully protect you from both impact and abrasion under your scrubs... you're essentially wearing an armored jacket anyway. So why not just wear a proper armored jacket over your scrubs? That's actually more convenient, because you can just take the jacket off and hang it instead of taking your scrubs off, removing the armored shirt, and putting the scrubs back on.
You're right. What I had in mind was to wear the armor under my scrubs and just wear it throughout the duration of my shift - eliminates the need to carry a backpack to work to store pants and boots. I guess what I had in mind was unrealistic.
Quote:
For the reasons cited above (pavement grabbing onto the armor), it's not ideal IMHO. For one thing, the Forcefield shirt you mentioned offers zero abrasion resistance. The fabric is there only to keep the pads in place... once it rips, the pads go bye-bye. It's designed to be worn UNDER your leathers, not instead of them.
I can tell that from the pictures.

Quote:
Point is, armor under your scrubs does nothing to protect your skin except where the armor is placed. And if you're in healthcare, you KNOW how nasty skin grafts can be.
Just imagine what happens when you go pavement surfing in scrubs.... Think this guy has armor everywhere he's in contact with the pavement?
Yeah, I get it. No need to tell me twice. If only I could record videos of nurses scrubbing road rash patients and the cellulitis that develops on some of them, It would provide a VERY good motivator. Sometimes pictures don't do justice. But alas, HIPPA.

tl;dr: What I had in mind was unrealistic. I'll stick to my current set-up.

Old July 31st, 2016, 11:51 AM   #38
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I haven't found the GoGoGear leggings to be uncomfortable in hot weather. The guys yesterday that I was riding with were hot, and they comparing notes about gear. I was sweating (it was hot, everybody was), but most of the time I didn't notice it. And while actively riding and moving? Totally comfortable. Maybe not quite as ventilated as the kevlar-lined jeans, but still pretty happy and likely better protection.

It was pretty warm, too, at least 80-something, and quite possibly over 90 in the hills.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2016, 01:27 PM   #39
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity360 View Post
I'm in between buying the aura jeans by agv and the go go leggins. The jeans will allow me to go places with out burung up and looking silly. I read go go leggings are just so hot in the summer. It's very humid here. But the jeans don't have armor.
I was also thinking of getting an alpinestars shoe so I don't have to carry my shoes in my backpack when I go to work. I only own sidi boots right now.
I have a pair of Dainese leather pants that zip to my jacket for a two-piece and I also have a pair of their kevlar jeans. I'm going to be getting these to go under the jeans.

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/da...1-pants-black/

For me personally, that under armor and kevlar jeans is acceptable for the majority of street riding. Hell I ride with just the kevlar jeans a lot. I find myself RARELY wearing my leather pants for normal riding around. While they're very comfortable while on the bike, they're cut curved at the knee which makes it awkward to walk, there's no pockets in them either. It's just not practical to wear them around. If I didn't already have the jeans, I would have got a pair of motoport pants.

As far as shoes go, have you thought about just getting "in" style boots? When I wear my boots/pants it's perfectly comfortable and looks fine since they're under the pants.

Old July 31st, 2016, 05:09 PM   #40
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
I haven't found the GoGoGear leggings to be uncomfortable in hot weather. The guys yesterday that I was riding with were hot, and they comparing notes about gear. I was sweating (it was hot, everybody was), but most of the time I didn't notice it. And while actively riding and moving? Totally comfortable. Maybe not quite as ventilated as the kevlar-lined jeans, but still pretty happy and likely better protection.

It was pretty warm, too, at least 80-something, and quite possibly over 90 in the hills.
Okay!! I really like the go go leggings! Can they fit under work pants? I really want to do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
I have a pair of Dainese leather pants that zip to my jacket for a two-piece and I also have a pair of their kevlar jeans. I'm going to be getting these to go under the jeans.

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/da...1-pants-black/

For me personally, that under armor and kevlar jeans is acceptable for the majority of street riding. Hell I ride with just the kevlar jeans a lot. I find myself RARELY wearing my leather pants for normal riding around. While they're very comfortable while on the bike, they're cut curved at the knee which makes it awkward to walk, there's no pockets in them either. It's just not practical to wear them around. If I didn't already have the jeans, I would have got a pair of motoport pants.

As far as shoes go, have you thought about just getting "in" style boots? When I wear my boots/pants it's perfectly comfortable and looks fine since they're under the pants.
I really like that idea!! Do those underpants offer any abrasion protection? I would live to just wear my work pants to commute in. One less step to change.