ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 16th, 2017, 07:32 AM   #1
little1199
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Working on a previously modified bike

Here we go! I purchased a bike with mods already done. Some of the mods seems to be working well and others I've dropped in favor of stock or other parts. I'm completely new to bikes in general. Matter of fact, most what I have learned has been from this forum. I've ran into the following situations the search bar has been limited on.

1. Based on the K&N replacement filter and exhaust (and stickers) my bike is jetted. Great! Except for it's using the loudest muffler possibly built for these bikes. If I drop the full exhaust and move to stock pipe with a slipon, do I have to rejet completely since I do not know what stage is currently installed? I would assume stage 1 or 2 based on the air box still being installed but the assumption is made on limited knowledge.

2. Tires- 150 on the rear is almost new. 120 on the front is trash. Is the difference in handling justifiable enough to replace the rear tire with the front or should I order a front, wear out the rear and then replace with correct sizing?
little1199 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2017, 08:45 AM   #2
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by little1199 View Post
Here we go! I purchased a bike with mods already done. Some of the mods seems to be working well and others I've dropped in favor of stock or other parts. I'm completely new to bikes in general. Matter of fact, most what I have learned has been from this forum. I've ran into the following situations the search bar has been limited on.

1. Based on the K&N replacement filter and exhaust (and stickers) my bike is jetted. Great! Except for it's using the loudest muffler possibly built for these bikes. If I drop the full exhaust and move to stock pipe with a slipon, do I have to rejet completely since I do not know what stage is currently installed? I would assume stage 1 or 2 based on the air box still being installed but the assumption is made on limited knowledge.

2. Tires- 150 on the rear is almost new. 120 on the front is trash. Is the difference in handling justifiable enough to replace the rear tire with the front or should I order a front, wear out the rear and then replace with correct sizing?
1. I doubt you'll have to rejet for an exhaust change since you are probably running a non baffled pipe now and most slip-ons are non-baffled also. Check your spark plugs and if the porcelain is chalk white increase the main jet size. The plugs should have sort a rusty color. The slip-ons may not be much quieter. I just installed some Yoshimuras and they are fairly loud at cruising speed.

2. I would stick with O.E.M tire sizes. Oversize tires do you no good whatsoever and your rim width probably won't properly accommodate the extra width. A wide rear tire my increase your testosterone levels but the bike won't perform better. I like to replace tires that match but a different front tire won't put you in a ditch.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2017, 10:32 AM   #3
little1199
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
1. I doubt you'll have to rejet for an exhaust change since you are probably running a non baffled pipe now and most slip-ons are non-baffled also. Check your spark plugs and if the porcelain is chalk white increase the main jet size. The plugs should have sort a rusty color. The slip-ons may not be much quieter. I just installed some Yoshimuras and they are fairly loud at cruising speed.

2. I would stick with O.E.M tire sizes. Oversize tires do you no good whatsoever and your rim width probably won't properly accommodate the extra width. A wide rear tire my increase your testosterone levels but the bike won't perform better. I like to replace tires that match but a different front tire won't put you in a ditch.

Bill
1. I was actually worried about the other way around. I know when you go from stock to aftermarket you may have to rejet for the ratio- but does the same apply when you go backwards? If I didn't like the slip on and wanted to go stock, would I need to do a stage one kit? Could I keep the K&N with a stage 2 and possibly remove the snorkel as needed to compensate or would I be better off just rejetting so I know what's in there?

2. The 150 is currently on the bike, wasn't my choice. I'm not much of a "hey look how big my tire is" kind of guy, BUT I also prefer not to throw out a good tire just because it looks big either. I guess I should actually rephrase the question to "is the performance/ handling of a correctly sized rear tire worth removing the essentially new rear one?"

Old June 16th, 2017, 10:41 AM   #4
little1199
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post

Bill
1. So if the slip-on is louder than I prefer and I go with a stock setup would I need to possibly rejet then or could I potentially remove the snorkel and allow the rejet to stay? (Rejetting just so I know what I actually have is an option as well)

2. I'm not much of a "hey, my tire is bigger than yours" kinda guy. Since the bike came with the 150 I guess my question should be "is the performance/ handling of a stock bike worth throwing out the fairly new 150 tire?"

Old June 16th, 2017, 10:49 AM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
In that situation, I would wear out the rear tire and then replace it with the stock size.

As far as jetting, things like properly performed plug chops can tell you how it is after you make changes. Just looking at plugs after some amount of running really doesn't tell you much.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2017, 12:05 PM   #6
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
In that situation, I would wear out the rear tire and then replace it with the stock size.

As far as jetting, things like properly performed plug chops can tell you how it is after you make changes. Just looking at plugs after some amount of running really doesn't tell you much.
Yes a plug chop (full throttle run, hit the kill switch and pull in the clutch lever) - with new plugs. I have a friend of mine who used to be a mechanic at a Honda dealer says that you can't get a good plug read with todays gasoline. I could tell, however, that the 105 mains were too lean right after I bought the bike. I now have 110s installed but haven't pulled the plugs yet but I'll be able to tell if the engine is happy without a "chop".

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2017, 12:08 PM   #7
little1199
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks Ram and Jim. I was looking forward to getting out my ninja stars for a sweet judy-chop on the plugs, but I suppose Jim's way makes more sense...