ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:12 AM   #1
Talon
ninjette.org member

Name: Doug

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2012 ninja 650

Rear ended at a stop light

Just like the title says. I was stopped at a light anda lady pulls up behind me and stops. A few seconds later she bumps me. This was my first incident like this so I get off my bike and walk around and look at the "damage." Luckily there doesn't realyl seem to be any, she just bumped my license plate and scuffed the fender.

I got her info and went on my way, the bike rides fine, but I still want to look it over more thoroughly.
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:23 AM   #2
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

suck m8y... People can be so careless... I'm glad it wasn't worse...

Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:37 AM   #3
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toua

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 and Gsx-R 750 k8 (out of commission)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon View Post
Just like the title says. I was stopped at a light anda lady pulls up behind me and stops. A few seconds later she bumps me. This was my first incident like this so I get off my bike and walk around and look at the "damage." Luckily there doesn't realyl seem to be any, she just bumped my license plate and scuffed the fender.

I got her info and went on my way, the bike rides fine, but I still want to look it over more thoroughly.
Damn Doug.. hope all is well man. Some people can be so careless

Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:42 AM   #4
Talon
ninjette.org member

Yeah. She said she was reaching for something in the back seat and her foot slipped off the brake.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:52 AM   #5
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:06 AM   #6
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

You really have to wonder about people sometimes...
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:25 AM   #7
seanshawnS
ninjette.org member

Name: SHAWN

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250r(2012PR)

Complacency seems pretty common, not just among motorists. Good thing it wasn't worse.

I sometimes get a bit nervous when I see them pull up close at a light or stop sign, half the time wondering if they see me at all.

Glad you're alright mate

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:28 AM   #8
JA-Moo
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): many kawasaki 2 stroke triples and a 250R now. Well no more 250R, 2013 300 now

Bad scenario, bikes get squished a lot for being rear ended at stop. ALWAYS stop off to the side of the car in front of you, and keep an eye on your rearview mirror.

99% avoidable......
JA-Moo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:36 AM   #9
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA-Moo View Post
Bad scenario, bikes get squished a lot for being rear ended at stop. ALWAYS stop off to the side of the car in front of you, and keep an eye on your rearview mirror.

99% avoidable......

Meh, good info but stopping to the side of whats infront of him wouldn't necessarily have helped in this situation. Also if she had come to a complete stop and then her foot slipped off the brake because she was getting something, he can't really plan for that. I always watch to make sure they stop but after they stop, I keep my eyes up to everything else around me.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:50 AM   #10
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

Quote:

99% avoidable......
I agree, 99% avoidable if you watch 100% of all drivers around you 100% of the time.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:59 AM   #11
JA-Moo
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): many kawasaki 2 stroke triples and a 250R now. Well no more 250R, 2013 300 now

Do as you wish, safety should be considered at all times on a bike. Keeping alert and putting yourself in a safe position seems like a good idea to me. Saved me from getting smashed up more than once. At a stop, almost all danger comes directly from behind you.........

Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:12 AM   #12
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Do as you wish, safety should be considered at all times on a bike. Keeping alert and putting yourself in a safe position seems like a good idea to me. Saved me from getting smashed up more than once. At a stop, almost all danger comes directly from behind you.........
I DO as I wish. I never said ANYTHING against safety, if I did then I'm sorry. What I am saying is that when you share the road with ANY other driver, be it another rider or a car, you also SHARE the responsibility and safety precautions. Unfortunately out there your safety is no longer 100% in your hands, this is true for life in general. "Risk assesment and acceptance" is one of the first things they teach in the MSF course: "How much risk are you willing to accept?" Is asked verbatim in the manual to each and every student.

An example close to THIS community? EthioKnight. At first I thought he was a little goofy because he was one of the few people on this forum who I saw wearing FULL ATGATT EVERY TIME, and I MEAN, EVERY.TIME., even when his bike was down for a week and he rode his 50cc scooter, he STILL wore a full body leather suit. He was more cautious and experienced than many members here (not to mention random tshirt-flipflopers on the road) including myself, and look at the tragedy that happened to him. Some lady came across multiple lanes as if targetting him.

Yes, always prepare for the worst and be preventive but don't be surprised when something bites your ass. Yes hind sight is 20/20, and it's always easy to say how something can be avoided AFTER the fact. You can't avoid life.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:21 AM   #13
Talon
ninjette.org member

I normally offset between lanes when coming to a light, except when I'm the first vehicle to stop. Should I be between lanes when the first to a light so that I have to watch being sideswiped by 2 vehicles or just watch the 1? I'm still fairly new so please educate me. I was first to the intersection, I stopped, I watched her pull up behind me and stop safely. From there I watched the traffic lights do that I would not hold up traffic. Please tell me what I should have done to avoid this. I always ride ATGATT.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:57 AM   #14
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Quote:
I normally offset between lanes when coming to a light, except when I'm the first vehicle to stop. Should I be between lanes when the first to a light so that I have to watch being sideswiped by 2 vehicles or just watch the 1? I'm still fairly new so please educate me. I was first to the intersection, I stopped, I watched her pull up behind me and stop safely. From there I watched the traffic lights do that I would not hold up traffic. Please tell me what I should have done to avoid this. I always ride ATGATT.
Regardless of what people tell you, its the drivers fault. you could be in the right position, looking in your rear view and watch the guy pull up behind you, but by the time you realize they're not stopping theres not enough time for you to get out of the way anyway. Just always gotta be alert and hope the asshole behind you has even the slightest bit of common sense.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:39 AM   #15
JA-Moo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
First of all, (my opinion from riding 41 years) never ride or stop in the middle of a lane, that's where the oil from cars leak, is it's slick. And if it is raining or just rained, it is dangerously slick, as the water leeches the oil out of the road. When first to a stop, offset to the left between the center and left side of the lane, that way you are in front of the driver. (Brits, on the other side....lol) Keep an eye on your rearview mirror and pulse the brake lever so your stop light is flashing to get their attention. This is especially important when there is a long line of traffic at a stop as people don't expect a long line a lot of the time, and then get way over to the right or left whichever seems to have the best escape route.

And Edxmon,

of course no one has 100% control of a road situation. And it's the riders responsibility to be as safe as possible, and always anticipate what "could" happen. I'm just saying it's a darn good idea to be out of the direct path of the car behind you.

Talon,

I can't say 100% how you could have avoided the accident, but maybe, a better position, more attention on whats behind you and flashing your stop light might of been enough to avoid the accident. Even if the car behind you is stopped, that doesn't mean the car behind him/her sees that the car in front is stopped, BAM, BAM and the car behind you is sitting ON you.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:07 PM   #16
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i donno. it sucks you got hit but im kinda with ja-moo on this one. i honestly cant count how many times ive almost been rear ended but being off to the side and watching some idiot come barreling down at you ... you get out of the way when it looks like someone is going to hit you. even if they manage to stop its better to not take the chance. though it sounds like this was not a typical case since the car stopped then bumped him... i mean... its not really getting rear ended, i bump my friends bikes while im in the car all the time... its just funny

Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:42 PM   #17
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i donno. it sucks you got hit but im kinda with ja-moo on this one. i honestly cant count how many times ive almost been rear ended but being off to the side and watching some idiot come barreling down at you ... you get out of the way when it looks like someone is going to hit you. even if they manage to stop its better to not take the chance. though it sounds like this was not a typical case since the car stopped then bumped him... i mean... its not really getting rear ended, i bump my friends bikes while im in the car all the time... its just funny
I hear you also drop friends bikes while trying to show them how to launch. Or was that some one else...I guess every one gets their jollies one way or another.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:46 PM   #18
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by edxmon View Post
I hear you also drop friends bikes while trying to show them how to launch. Or was that some one else...I guess every one gets their jollies one way or another.
not sure what that has to do with this? or what the intention behind your post was? such an interesting motivation

Old August 22nd, 2012, 01:13 PM   #19
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
not sure what that has to do with this? or what the intention behind your post was? such an interesting motivation
I was simply jesting, I should have added a smiley face for clarity. Although I wouldn't find the bumping funny.