ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 30th, 2016, 08:17 PM   #1
missinglink
ninjette.org member

Name: Trevin

Motorcycle(s): '01 Ninja 250r

Bike is Killing (Not in a good way)

A little background information...

- I just got done cleaning out the carbs, and replacing the air filter like 4/5 days ago
- Upon completing these things, I have drove around for a couple days with no problems at all.

An now the problem...

As I was driving today I felt the bike jumping forward and back, kinda how it feel when running out of gas. I immediately pulled over as it wasn't giving me much when pulling throttle gas. I switched it over to reserve to just see if that made a difference. I let it also sit for a little while and I was able to get 2 min. down the road to my destination with the choke on. After sitting at my destination for a few hours I then was driving back home and was driving fine but then had the same problem after about 5 or 6 minutes of riding and had to pull over again.

I began letting the bike idle as I was sitting in a gas station parking lot and testing the throttle. As soon as I pull the throttle, RPMs go up right away but then almost makes a choke/puttering sound and drops back down. If I keep throttle pulled in it shuts off but if I let it snap back quick enough it wont totally kill. I begins puttering right at about 4000/5000 RPM mark.

When I pull the choke in all the way I can coast around with that maybe going 15 MPH and that's actually how I got my bike to a place I could park it. As soon as I drop the choke just the slightest bit it drops fast and the bike shuts down.

I NEED HELP. These were some of the same symptoms I had before I cleaned carbs so I'm confused as to what this could be. My guess is that its something to do with the fuel/air stuff but kinda confused about it.

ANY THOUGHTS APPRECIATED!
missinglink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2016, 08:50 PM   #2
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Sounds like you're starving for fuel. Either a fuel filter is plugged, a gas tank vent line is plugged or pinched, or the carb bowl breather is plugged or pinched. Possibly the float levels are incorrect also.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 30th, 2016, 09:18 PM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Could be a faulty petcock? Fuel tank vent? Did you install a fuel filter?

Why did you clean the carburetors in the first place? Any modifications to the bike?

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2016, 09:44 PM   #4
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
The float bowls are emptying faster than they are filling. You have a restriction between the tank & the float bowls. Imo
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

Last futzed with by SLOWn60; April 12th, 2016 at 09:48 AM.
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 31st, 2016, 12:18 PM   #5
missinglink
ninjette.org member

Name: Trevin

Motorcycle(s): '01 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Could be a faulty petcock? Fuel tank vent? Did you install a fuel filter?

Why did you clean the carburetors in the first place? Any modifications to the bike?
I did not install a new fuel filter.

I cleaned carbs because the bike had been sitting for about a year with no action and based on the problems I was having it appeared this was the problem. It appeared this has fixed the problem because it ran great for a few days after and now is acting up again.

No Mods.
missinglink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2016, 12:34 PM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

The PreGen doesn't have a fuel filter, you have a add an inline filter.

The fuel delivery system is gravity feed, so any issues with the petcock will cause it to stave for fuel, also if the tank vent isn't venting properly, and the carburetors themselves vent line is pinched, blocked, etc....

You need to verify the petcock is petcocking, err, i mean working properly.

PETCOCK TEST
install a fuel hose from the petcock fuel outlet into a catch can. Pull the vacuum hose from the engine side. Leave it connected to the petcock.

Now...petcock set to on.... fuel should NOT be flowing. Apply suction to the vacuum hose (which is connected to the petcock ONLY) ...fuel should now flow.

Repeat above process for RES

Make sure the vacuum line doesn't have any pinholes or cracks!

Post your findings.

If it's a defective petcock it could need to be cleaned, or replaced,

If your petcock is shot, save your time, and money and get a new one, the cost of rebuilding it isn't much cheaper, due to you need two separate kits, as they for some reason don't make just one.

New one cost about $65.00

1988~00 models
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...1023-1139.html

2001~07 models
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...1023-1393.html

Also be sure to order the orings(92022-183 WASHER,6.2X11X1.5)and new bolts(92001-1091BOLT,6X20),trust me you'll be better off in the long run.

Rebuilding kits are about $60 total.

K&L Supply Diaphragm Only for Fuel Petcock Repair Kit 18-6638 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055DWO60..._s1CGub1W9N3PH

K&L Supply Fuel Petcock Repair Kit 18-2723 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KO2JRW..._U1CGub05DT5NT

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Rebuild...tcock/fuel_tap

IMHO not worth it rebuilding, also be sure to check vacuum and fuel lines for wear, holes, and cracks, if in doubt replace them. Also replace the two small O-rings on the bolts for the petcock part# 92022.

This is the time to add an inline filter filter, if you don't have one already.

K&N 81-0221 Fuel Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E2AR70..._ncMwwbE333H0E

ZX-2R BLOG

Old March 31st, 2016, 07:23 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinglink View Post
I did not install a new fuel filter.

I cleaned carbs because the bike had been sitting for about a year with no action and based on the problems I was having it appeared this was the problem. It appeared this has fixed the problem because it ran great for a few days after and now is acting up again.

No Mods.
Fuel starvation due to clogged filters or lack of tank venting or poor vacuum reaching the petcock.

Did you clean the interior of the fuel tank?

Did you clean the mesh filters inside the tank and the mesh filter inside the end of the fuel hose?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2016, 07:28 PM   #8
Ghostt
in your machine

Last time I checked only NewGen has a fuel filter located inside the fuel inlet elbow.

The screens on the petcock itself, are far from a filter, unless your filtering rocks, but they should be checked as well.

Still need to install a proper inline fuel filter, available at most motorcycle shops for a few $$$.

ZX-2R BLOG