ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 23rd, 2016, 10:46 AM   #1
Nu2Street
ninjette.org member

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

06 Ninja 250 Steering Stem Nut

If I want to mount a Ram Mounts base in the Steering Stem, is that nut just a cap nut, or is it the actual nut and this is not possible.

I see the steering stem is hollow in the SV650's and GSXR's, but wasn't sure if my Ninja rally has a hollow space in there or not. Thanks.
Nu2Street is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2016, 11:16 AM   #2
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Nope it's one big bolt

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2016, 12:23 PM   #3
Nu2Street
ninjette.org member

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

Great. That's what I figured. Thanks.
Nu2Street is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2016, 06:53 PM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You could take it to a local machine shop at get it bored/tapped to a convenient thread, then mount your RAM attachments to that. Iirc, there are RAM products for camera threaded mounts, why not use something like that here?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2016, 08:48 PM   #5
rubber side down
ninjette.org member

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 01 gixxer 1k, 02 gixxer 600, 02 ninja 250, a slew of dirt bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
You could take it to a local machine shop at get it bored/tapped to a convenient thread, then mount your RAM attachments to that. Iirc, there are RAM products for camera threaded mounts, why not use something like that here?
Do not tap and thread the bolt. I did that on mine. It doesn't hurt or affect the bolt. But if you plan on revving above 7 grand, the harmonics from the engine will kill your camera. It has a really nasty buzzing when replaying the video. After a couple days on track with go pro mounted that way, it wouldn't shut off and needed to hit the file 13. Now I have my forward mounting camera mounted onto my helmet and haven't had a problem with camera since.
rubber side down is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2016, 09:21 PM   #6
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber side down View Post
Do not tap and thread the bolt. I did that on mine. It doesn't hurt or affect the bolt. But if you plan on revving above 7 grand, the harmonics from the engine will kill your camera. It has a really nasty buzzing when replaying the video. After a couple days on track with go pro mounted that way, it wouldn't shut off and needed to hit the file 13.

If I remember right you killed a really expensive Sony camera some years ago with high freq. vibrations from the bike too.

Old November 24th, 2016, 02:56 AM   #7
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Uhhhh...?

How long did your camera work that way before being killed by vibrations? You probably could send that to GoPro for a case study, they may be interested.

Old November 25th, 2016, 12:49 PM   #8
rubber side down
ninjette.org member

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 01 gixxer 1k, 02 gixxer 600, 02 ninja 250, a slew of dirt bikes

my first camera, was an 8 mm sony handycam mounted on my cbr 1000. It was on a bracket and ahead of gas tank opening. It lasted the sighting lap around brainerd, and then died about half way down the straight away.

After that I purchased new 8 mm and bought a remote cam that recorded through the 8 mm. That seemed to end any vibration problems. It was the best there was at the time. Kind of a pita running wires to the trunk, tucking them under gas tank and under tail. But it was all there was at the time.

Then go pro's came along. WOOT WOOT. I originally had the camera mounted to the right mirror mount. That worked just fine, it was just boring to watch with nothing to see if there wasn't someone ahead of you.

Then I mounted it to the steering stem bolt. I drilled, tapped, and made a mount. The camera lasted about a 1/2 day at the track. That was a hero 2, I think, old school removable from the case. Then I bought a cheapy that is not removable. Then I tried putting some rubber washers between camera and mount and mount and stem to take out some vibrations.

The newer camera took vibrations a little better than old one, but no matter how much rubber washers I put in, it was still getting vibes through the threads of the mount and the hole in the steering stem nut. Before I ruined another camera I mounted it to my helmet.

I don't think go pro would give 2 shits about checking out a camera that was killed by high frequency vibrations.
rubber side down is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2016, 04:02 PM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
huh, interesting. I've run my GoPro Hero HD (first gen that didn't require AA batteries, lol) on a gas cap bracket. Worked fine. I've also had it, as well as a Hero 3, mounted on the tail, the nose, the tank, my helmet, etc. without issue. Maybe it's something you're doing?

FWIW, I've also crashed with them on the bike, crashed with them on the bicycles, mounted them in my car both inside and outside, no issues.

Not sure what your issue was, but dude that sucks. I'd still be inclined to try it because of the convenience factor. Your issue is the first I've heard about with that.