ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 1st, 2018, 07:48 AM   #1
Tylorwashere
ninjette.org member

Name: Tylor

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Moving rear tire forwards

So I may have cut just one link too many off my new chain, I cut it to match my old one, totally blanking on the fact that the old chain had probably never been changed by the previous owner and was stretched to hell. Anyway I need like a half a link, and I can see that the axle will move a little more than that forward, but no amount of kicking the tire will move it forward. Is there a trick to doing this?

I really dont want to take it off again, it was not fun putting it back on alone after changing the rear sprocket
Tylorwashere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2018, 07:59 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Are the rear axle adjusters set to minimum? I assume the axle is loose and the adjusters (screws) are turned all the way in before you are kicking the tire?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 1st, 2018, 08:08 AM   #3
rubber side down
ninjette.org member

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 01 gixxer 1k, 02 gixxer 600, 02 ninja 250, a slew of dirt bikes

If it is a rivet link chain, buy just another rivet link. I have made same mistake before. 2 rivets next to each other. You need a whole link to right the wrong not half link.
rubber side down is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2018, 08:14 AM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
What Alex said.

Changing wheels is not a big deal once you've done it once or twice.

Pro tip 1: Wear a pair of boots you don't mind getting scuffed. Sit on a low stool behind the bike and rest the wheel on your toe to keep it in line as you insert the axle. I've done many wheel changes that way, both front and rear.

A year or so ago I bought a Pit Bull tire wedge, which I have to say is a terrific innovation. Makes the whole process utterly painless, but is way overkill if you're not routinely taking your wheels off.

Pro tip 2: Have a rubber mallet or dead-blow hammer within arm's reach. Once you get the axle through one side of the swingarm and started into the wheel, just give it a few whacks.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2018, 08:27 AM   #5
Tylorwashere
ninjette.org member

thanks everyone. I figured out the the bracket that holds the rear brakes in place was holding it up, I loosened that and it moved all the way forwards, but it still wasn't enough. I think I'm just gonna buy another master and put a piece of the new chain that I cut off between them, and hopefully After riding it for awhile it will stretch and I can take the second master out

Old April 1st, 2018, 08:56 AM   #6
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
What Alex said.

Changing wheels is not a big deal once you've done it once or twice.

Pro tip 1: Wear a pair of boots you don't mind getting scuffed. Sit on a low stool behind the bike and rest the wheel on your toe to keep it in line as you insert the axle. I've done many wheel changes that way, both front and rear.
Great idea.

I have found, after changing wheels hundreds of times, that if you put something under the wheel, at the exact height it sits (like a piece of wood), before you take it off, you just put the wheel back of the wood to put it back on and it is at the correct height.

Old April 1st, 2018, 09:10 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
It seems unlikely that someone removed a link from the old chain when it wore, so I would think that if you copied the number of links correctly, you should be able to get the new one on. Are you sure the axle is now all the way forward? Every 1/8" forward gets you 1/4" more chain at the joint.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2018, 12:14 PM   #8
Tylorwashere
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
It seems unlikely that someone removed a link from the old chain when it wore, so I would think that if you copied the number of links correctly, you should be able to get the new one on. Are you sure the axle is now all the way forward? Every 1/8" forward gets you 1/4" more chain at the joint.
I tried working it around both sprockets and getting it to connect in a few different positions. I thought the same thing but the adjusters are definitely all the way forward

Old April 1st, 2018, 05:36 PM   #9
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
On some bikes, I've milled the slot in swingarm forwards about 10mm to remove one chain-link and shorten wheelbase. Then chop 10mm off end of swingarm so adjuster are within adjustment range.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote