Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Notices

Old September 27th, 2022, 01:43 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[cycleworld.com] - Cardo Packtalk Edge Review

Testing Cardo’s top-of-the-line in-helmet communicator over three days of group riding.

Click here to view on their site.

Riding connected with Cardo Packtalk Edge units in Bodega Bay, California. (Monti Smith/)In-helmet communicators have changed the way we ride together. No longer is a closed hand to the mouth or a point to the gas cap necessary to indicate that the motorcycle or its human pilot needs more fuel. Now we have access to speakers, microphones, and wireless devices to enhance the in-helmet experience with music, phone calls, rider communication, and more.

Cardo’s latest addition to its top-of-the-line Packtalk family is the new Packtalk Edge. The Edge might be the most advanced in-helmet unit we’ve tested. The question is, with an MSRP of $390, if it’s worth the investment.

The first thing most riders will notice is how the Packtalk Edge attaches to the helmet. Rather than wedge in and clip on like previous devices, the Edge is magnetic, practically jumping out of the hand onto its attachment point. To remove it, simply push down on the forward-facing lever and the Edge slides right off. The magnet is also convenient for keeping the Edge around when it’s not in use. I often stick it to the refrigerator in my kitchen while it’s charging.

The Cardo Packtalk Edge is simple looking and slick, attaching to your helmet quickly with a magnet. (Morgan Gales/)Battery life on the Edge is excellent, with Cardo claiming 13 hours of normal use. New fast-charging technology is incredibly useful as well. If you have forgotten to charge your device, Cardo claims that just 20 minutes on the USB-C charger will give you roughly two hours of talk time. Through a full 14-hour day of high-mile touring, using intercom with a passenger and accompanying bike, the battery lasted the full stint, though the unit was turned off at meal breaks and when not in use. While riding alone, I only use the Bluetooth function for music and the occasional call from my phone. A single charge easily lasted over a week while using the Edge every day for commuting and casual rides.

Whether listening to music, talking on the phone, or using intercom, audio is loud, clear, and high quality. The 40mm speakers were developed by JBL Audio specifically for use in a motorcycle helmet and tuned with an improved processor and three preprogrammed audio profiles. But JBL speakers and tuned audio aren’t the only things contributing to high-fidelity audio: Bluetooth 5.2 increases the amount of data that can be transferred over low bandwidth, which translates to a better audio signal being sent to your speakers.

Volume levels can be tuned independently for phone calls, music, FM radio, intercom, and the Cardo system’s announcements. The user can also set automatic volume adjustment based on environmental noise picked up by the microphone, adjust voice recognition sensitivity, or turn voice control off completely. All audio tuning and adjustment is done through the Cardo Connect app, which is absolutely necessary to get the most out of the Edge unit. All software updates are now done wirelessly through the app as well, a major upgrade over the requirement of plugging the device into your computer seen on past models.

Packtalk Edge units will pair with Cardo’s other DMC products like the Packtalk Bold seen here, or with any brand of Bluetooth communicator. (Monti Smith/)My greatest appreciation for the Packtalk Edge came while riding two-up with my girlfriend Justine, alongside my brother Garrett riding two-up with his wife Mia. Justine and I wore Packtalk Edge units and Garrett and Mia wore Packtalk Bolds, with which we were able to mesh quickly and easily. Throughout the trip I found it easy to switch between group mode with all four of us and private chat with only Justine. Of course, riders can choose to mute the intercom altogether and just listen to music until someone else calls in.

Edge units use second-generation Dynamic Mesh technology, which simplifies the pairing process and improves the sound quality for intercom. The Packtalk Bold unit still has first-generation DMC, which means when these units communicate with each other, the Edge will only be as capable as the Bold. Even when somewhat limited by mixed technology, we found riders could speak clearly until we were about 1 mile apart, as long as there were no major obstructions between riders.

Over three days we averaged more than 12 hours in the saddle, and each day the Edge units had enough battery to make it to our final destination. Button layout and navigating the system is easy and intuitive. Unlike some earlier Cardo units, the multipurpose roller is put in a place that won’t be hit by your jacket collar but is still easy to use. Audio quality is without a doubt the best of any in-helmet unit I have tested.

Packtalk Edge units are waterproof and guaranteed with an extended warranty for three years.

If all of your time is spent riding alone, you may not be able to take advantage of the Packtalk Edge’s full capabilities. If so, a cheaper unit with the same Bluetooth 5.2 and JBL speakers, like the Freecom 4x, would be fine for you. But for those who spend time riding in groups, there’s no substitute for the range and ease of use of the Packtalk Edge.

Being able to speak at a normal volume and enjoy clear audio through the intercom is a game changer when it comes to group riding. (Monti Smith/)