ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #1
forevertwowheels
ninjette.org member

Name: TKO

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2011 Honda CBR600RR

Quick Airbox removal question

If i take the carbs out will i be able to get the airbox out without taking the undertail off and without breaking it?
and is there any thing i should take note of before taking the airbox out?
thanks

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #2
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Notate:

1) There is no such thing as a 'quick airbox removal'...

2)Unless you really like laying on your garage floor, leave the carbs be. This could spell disaster. IIRC, my 2008 was not fun removing the airbox. Find the DIY on here or KawiForums.com (sorry Alex), and plan accordingly. Thorough work now will pay dividends later...

I imagine you're doing this to install pods?

Last futzed with by DmbShn41; June 13th, 2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: speeling
DmbShn41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #3
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quick answer. NO!

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #4
forevertwowheels
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmbShn41 View Post
Notate:

1) There is no such thing as a 'quick airbox removal'...

2)Unless you really like laying on your garage floor, leave the carbs be. This could spell disaster. IIRC, my 2008 was not fun removing the airbox. Find the DIY on here or KawiForums.com (sorry Alex), and plan accordingly. Thorough work now will pay dividends later...

I imagine you're doing this to install pods?
1) whoops i worded that wrong "quick question on lenghty airbox removal" fixed

2)i have the DIY from this site printed up and memorized lol

and yes this is for installing pods

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #5
kkim

lol... you go in with a plan in mind, end up frustrated and then start pulling stuff off until you take enough stuff off to get that damned airbox out. once you get it out, you're done.

assembly is the reverse of removal.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #6
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Your best to leave the carbs be. It's a whole other DIY removing the carbs. I seem to remember Vex did this, or maybe Duck, but it doesn't save much time, and is just a bunch more stuff to mess with. Look at it this way, with the entire backend disassembled, you can put in that lovely, easy access fuse box, wire in some LEDs, or whatever your heart desires...good luck. Have your pods already?

Old June 13th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #7
forevertwowheels
ninjette.org member

yes i have my pods already.
what have you guys (people who have removed the airbox) done with these parts? (circled in red)
it looks like you remove them but how? there is a screw underneath on the carb side but nothing i have would reach good enough to loosen it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Airbox_removal-01.jpg (233.7 KB, 9 views)

Old June 14th, 2011, 04:03 AM   #8
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Just a note, the DIY tells you to take out the all the screws so you can slipt the airbox into two peices to remove. I found that it was easier to take the back tail off along with the tire. With those removed, the air box will slide out the back fairly easy.

The runners (in the pic above) are held on by an alen screw. You want to have them on the carbs as pictured and put the POD filter on the end on of that. The pod filter can't get a good grip on the carbs so the runners are used to hold the pod filter. Take your time with this! Your taking a lot of stuff off. It needs to go back where it came from. lol

Old June 14th, 2011, 05:31 AM   #9
Lvr
ninjette.org member

Name: Levi

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Just a note, the DIY tells you to take out the all the screws so you can slipt the airbox into two peices to remove. I found that it was easier to take the back tail off along with the tire. With those removed, the air box will slide out the back fairly easy.

The runners (in the pic above) are held on by an alen screw. You want to have them on the carbs as pictured and put the POD filter on the end on of that. The pod filter can't get a good grip on the carbs so the runners are used to hold the pod filter. Take your time with this! Your taking a lot of stuff off. It needs to go back where it came from. lol
Ditto on that removal method. that's actually how the manual says to do it; remove the rear wheel and pull the whole thing out through the back.

As far as the runners, although you do want to reuse them, you'll probably want to take them off the carbs, affix them to your new filter, and then mount them again. they're held on at either end by a simple clamp that's tightened with a screw. just loosen the screw for each runner where it connects to the carb and pop it off.

And while you're cursing your way through it, just remember: it's totally worth it good luck!
Lvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #10
kkim

I don't get it... aren't you going to be taking the carbs out to rejet, anyway? the rubber thingys are held on to the carbs via simple clamps which will be very obvious once you get the carbs out.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
airbox removal is quickest with a big saw and hammer.

Old June 14th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #12
forevertwowheels
ninjette.org member

alex.s =>
Quote:
Originally Posted by forevertwowheels View Post
and without breaking it?
kkim => yeah i forgot ill be removing the carbs now anyways so i can deal with them when the carbs are off.

i took the airbox out last night, it went pretty smooth until i had to seperate the two halves, the metal grate between them was making it hard to take them apart. and removing the rear wheel would have make things easier but i managed to get it out.

thanks all for your help so far, lets see if i can get the pods on and start rejetting tonight.