ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old July 4th, 2017, 11:54 AM   #1
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

Name: Samantha

Motorcycle(s): 1993 Ninja 250R, 2013 Ducati Diavel Dark Stealth, 2005 Honda Rebel Bobber

Samantha's Scrambler Build - Fingers Crossed!

Hi everyone - I'm new here as I just picked up a 1993 Ninja 250 that I'd like to make into a basic little dirt scrambler. I've been off the bike with a ligament issue for so long, but doctors say I can return to riding if I am on a very small, light bike. I haven't seen the beautiful canyons around Moab, Utah (where I live) for so long that I decided I needed a bike that can handle basic dirt roads but still have decent performance capabilities on the highway.

It's been suggested for me to start a new thread and update the build process as well as see if someone else has any tips or tricks that could help me along. I'm working on getting the bike to run now, doing basic carb cleaning and so on, but am stumped on a few items for my build. Primarily, tires! Who makes an enduro tire that will fit this bike? I'm really hoping not to have to switch out to 17" if I can help it.

Oh, and I am not going to need any of the fairings expect for the two side panels, if anyone could use them. Blinkers, mirrors and stop light assembly are up for grabs, too, as well as that front fender.

Here are the pictures of her stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nin Before in truck.jpg (139.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Nin Before.jpg (146.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Nin Before right side .jpg (233.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Nin Before left side.jpg (248.9 KB, 2 views)

Last futzed with by ThrottleGirl; July 5th, 2017 at 08:23 AM.
ThrottleGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2017, 12:38 PM   #2
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1993 Ninja 250R, 2013 Ducati Diavel Dark Stealth, 2005 Honda Rebel Bobber

Stripping her down...

Taking the basic plastics off makes it look so much more like a streetfighter almost instantly. The bones of this bike are much better than I had expected. I did not expect, however, the box hanging down on the left side of the bike which turned out to be for California emissions vapor control. I'm leaning towards taking it off and figuring out capping the tubes so I can save that space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170701_141240.jpg (168.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170701_161952.jpg (185.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Hangy down thingy 50670704_n.jpg (103.0 KB, 11 views)

Old July 4th, 2017, 12:42 PM   #3
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

Oh, and my favorite picture -

The guy I bought it from had 'fixed' the carbs and petcock, which was destroyed, so he made his own custom solution. I wonder what was keeping his potato chip bag closed .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nin before petcock clip 310_o.jpg (51.7 KB, 21 views)

Old July 5th, 2017, 08:20 AM   #4
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

Needing HELP with Endure Tire...Have to go 17"?

Got the rear-end stripped down and am really liking the raw bones of the bike, leaves me with a lot of potential. I might modify the rear grab handle (remove) and keep the brace to use as the mount of the license plate and small dual sport turn lights. Not too worried about how that's going to shape up, just a bit of creativity and perhaps a tad of welding.

Those tires, though...not going to get me much traction on the dirt. IF *ANYONE* has any suggestions, I sure would appreciate hearing them. I'm not sure what is involved in swapping the 16 to 17's out and am a bit nervous about that job. I'm fairly new to forums so am not sure I'm searching the most effective way, but I really thought I stumbled across a thread on it the other day. Can't find it now .

P.S. Am I the only one who thinks it looks really sexy without anything on the back at all?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19720102_10154538841262056_2012983778_o.jpg (168.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Nin rear naked.jpg (120.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 19718776_10154538840477056_2115752864_o.jpg (161.7 KB, 15 views)

Old July 5th, 2017, 09:54 AM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrottleGirl View Post
P.S. Am I the only one who thinks it looks really sexy without anything on the back at all?
Probably not, but to me it doesn't look good with all the parts like the coolant tank and electronics showing. Chicago Bob (here on the board) did one and relocated all those parts. It looks OK that way, if you like the open frame tubes and a high floating seat. Maybe you'd like to modify the frame at the tail and mount a level seat the way the cafe kits do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ninja_250_cafe.jpg (125.9 KB, 10 views)
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2017, 04:32 PM   #6
DirtyPelican
ninjette.org member

Name: Tiago

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Triumph Speed Triple

This is the same kit that I plan on building but this kit just houses all the wiring behind those black plates.
DirtyPelican is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2017, 08:11 PM   #7
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

I had checked out Blue Collar Bobber's kit, but to be honest, I'm a bit tired of the cafe racer style as it seems everyone is building them. Granted, a Ninja cafe racer is much cooler. I just found the bags I'll get for the back of the seat area where it's now open, they'll cover both sides and give me a little bit of stash room, too. It will take away from the floating seat appearance.

I've pretty much given up on the idea of enduro tires for the stock 16" wheels as I've exhausted all of my sources and still am coming up empty handed. Now I'm trying to find threads on what's involved in swapping out the 16 for the 17" wheels...in particular, I'm wondering what's involved with the bearings...?

And for reference, I found a picture of a build along the lines of what I'm thinking. Maybe it's a bike belonging to someone in here? I think mine may be a bit more refined, but will still have an industrial, rugged, Mad Max feel to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg best ninja build .jpg (52.8 KB, 37 views)

Old July 6th, 2017, 10:40 PM   #8
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

Tires

So this is the closest I can find in a dual sport tire for the stock rim. Not quite perfect, and there's the tube/tubeless issue as well. I'm seriously debating about doing the 17" wheel swap to get a beefier tire option. Nervous to attempt to tackle getting into all of that...

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tube...otorcycle-tire

Old July 7th, 2017, 07:02 AM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
You can always put a tube in a tubeless type wheel. There's no safety problem since the tire is designed for a tube, just the small weight disadvantage.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2017, 07:40 AM   #10
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

That's what I've been hearing, thanks for the confirmation.

I was hoping to go to a fat 140, or maybe even 150 but I would like to avoid getting into rim/wheel modifications if possible. I'm having a hard time imagining fatter tires on these bikes and can't seem to find pictures where others have added bigger tires.