ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old July 30th, 2017, 07:25 AM   #1
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

DYI Fairing repair with J-B Weld

It works and works great. 3,980 PSI, once it's set you won't have to worry about anything breaking again. Picked this package up for $7 at the Hardware store. I've seen some stuff that's made specifically for fairing repair that can cost $40+
This stuff is tried and tested. Just follow the directions by applying equal amounts out of each tube. For fine jobs use a tooth pick or popsicle stick. I used my finger.

Upper head light fairing:
Had a good chunk completely broke off. I mixed it and then with a latex glove on of course got a good amount on my finger held the piece in place with a clamp (used a small crescent wrench as a clamp and I've used those strong paper clip things seen below as clamps too), and rubbed it all over in the areas I wanted it sealed. Sat it up in my shed so the weight came down on the part I wanted held together. Really just common sense when setting it up to dry. 24hrs later it's 110% stable.

Chin scoop came apart where the bolt goes as pictured you can see the paper clip clamps. Removed them once an hour after application so the clamps didn't set with it. Really you can find your own way to clamp it and set it this was just my way lol.

Anyway, everything is ready to be mounted. If you get the weld anywhere you don't want it just take a wet paper towel and wipe it off within 5-10min it comes off pretty well if done quickly. The fairings look great except for the inside where the weld is smeared all over but who cares what the inside of the fairing look like. Don't know if anyone has tried this stuff just figured I'd post about a cheap tried and tested way to repair fairings.
Thanks

Last futzed with by A.J.; July 30th, 2017 at 11:04 AM.
A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2017, 02:39 PM   #2
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

End result minus chin scoop started to rain it stopped but I want to get some riding time in before it rains again. Looks so much better
$700 and bike runs great and looks much better. The kid I got it fro he and his dad quoted the cosmetic repairs at World of Power Sports in Bloomington IL. I don't think they've ever heard of eBay. I have the quote in my paper work and it's over $700. $250 for the stay bar alone. I got the stay bar for $40 and headlight for $25 on eBay. And $8 for the JB Weld
Sometimes you win in life. I did a lot of losing with my '01 so this '06 has made me feel all better.

Old July 30th, 2017, 07:08 PM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Very cool, I myself use ABS cement

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2017, 07:45 PM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hey, good job on the repair!!! Did you paint it too? Or you sealed up the cracks so well, it's not noticeable? Either way, amazing work!

I've found layering another piece of plastic over seams and cracks on the back side increases contact surface-area and makes for really strong repair. Kinda like a plastic band-aid strip. When it breaks again, it usually does it someplace else away from the reinforced area.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2017, 04:36 AM   #5
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Very cool, I myself use ABS cement
I also have had good luck with ABS glue. Even glue broken tabs back on.

Old July 31st, 2017, 07:39 PM   #6
NaturalFlavored
ninjette.org guru

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 250r

I use certain epoxy from Ace. I had a carbon fiber bumper that had a mounting bracket/hole that was broken so I used plastic epoxy (not sure name) and it held up even after an accident.
NaturalFlavored is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2017, 08:10 AM   #7
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Hey guys really appreciate the kind words. Especially coming from the likes of you all.
@JackRyann no my friend I didn't paint. Just sealed up from the inside of the fairings very nicely. And great point on the plastic layering I bet that makes for great reinforcement.
@ghost next time I'm at the hardware store I'll check out some ABS cement. Always great to have other options. Never know I might like the ABS better than the J-B.
When I bought the bike the kid's father handed me a sheet of paper (actually need to upload it to this thread) with a quote from World of Power Sports to fix all the issues with the bike. All cosmetic mind you. The kid laid it down then they believe it will really be $700+ to fix the issues because that is what WOPS quoted them. Not sure if you all have a World of Power Sports in your area but it's a chain in IL and it's one of the biggest dealerships around. Basically have one in every major city in IL. They do excellent work but they better at $88/hr. My '06 has spent her entire 11 years being serviced by this place. Reviewed all her records. She was being taken there for oil changes even. I make the third owner and her visits will now stop lol. I like that she was serviced by certified professionals for the last 11yrs and apparently this kid that had her for a month, laid her down, then hated how she looked naked and wanted to sell her. Good kid but he and his dad have to be very dense not to realize all these parts can be fixed and found for a fraction of the cost. The kid and his dad looked at the bike, figured she is worth $1800-$2000, deducted repair costs when they listed her on Craigslist, asked $950, I paid him $700. Hell I just went with the repair costs they handed me lol. Very nice people but definitely very naïve. When the kid said he would take $700 I couldn't get the money out of my wallet fast enough. I was sweating until he handed me the title. As you can imagine I love telling this story.

Old August 7th, 2017, 08:10 AM   #8
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Ok uploaded the ridiculous quote
I repaired the gauge cluster as I didn't want a misrepresentation of the mileage on there. Cost $0.00
I paid $40.00 for a perfect stay bracket on eBay.
J-B Weld for fairing and gauge repair $8
Headlight on eBay $25.00
Total repairs $73.00
Savings of $667.00
I think this should go into a frame. Haha

Old August 7th, 2017, 11:56 AM   #9
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Wow, that's amazing story! It's hard to comprehend there are people that helpless out there, but it's all in upbringing. One of my neighbors left her lights on and ran down battery in her Accord. What's her 1st reaction? Call mommy and daddy to come over from Oakland, 70-minutes away, to help her!!!

Old August 7th, 2017, 10:46 PM   #10
NaturalFlavored
ninjette.org guru

I can tell you jb weld doesn't work as well as I thought it does, I used jb weld and Ace hardware epoxy. And Ace hardware works way better than jb weld for plastic repair.
I have used it for plastic, carbon fiber and metal. Holds up way better than I ever thought it would. If you try it and see for yourself, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Old August 8th, 2017, 12:25 AM   #11
DannoXYZ

Is the Ace hardware stuff slightly more flexible when cured?

Old August 8th, 2017, 03:56 AM   #12
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
ABS cement is nice because it's the same composition as the fairing itself. I've used it for repairs before. It's great if you plan on sanding and repainting the fairing since it's easier to evenly sand the same material.

I recommend also putting a fiberglass patch + epoxy on the areas you're fixing for extra strength regardless of what method you use to repair your fairing, especially if you can't make the cracks line up again perfectly. I've had a repair job come apart while I was on the freeway. Luckily it didn't actually affect my riding and I didn't lose anything essential so it probably just freaked out some drivers but still not something you really want to happen while moving at speed.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 8th, 2017, 11:32 AM   #13
NaturalFlavored
ninjette.org guru

I'm not sure but I used it on my fairing because it had a crack and was uneven. I used it on the inside and sanded it down and you can barely tell it's there because it's not dark like jb weld

Old August 9th, 2017, 09:20 AM   #14
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15

I bought/acquired used, rashed and broken fairings to put this bike back together. ABS cement was the way to go. only a couple of times I used Plastex for things that needed more strength.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote