Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old September 16th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #1
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Color scheme

What colors do you guys wear? I'm not sure if it's a good idea to get all black gear. I should probably mix it up and get brighter colors for better visibility, right? Basically make an attention whore out of myself :P

I think it depends on the color of the bike I get... but I think mixing red/black and maybe white too.

Old September 16th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #2
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Yes sir, try to not get black gear. visibility is key. You don't want a teenager on a BIG pink SUV not seeing you on the road.

Me. I wear mostly white stuff, I have a blue bike but all of my jackets are white with a hint of black. My helmet is also mostly white and some silver/black(+ reflective stickers for added visibility). And I also love the white color because it's much cooler compared to black. there's a scientific explanation in there somewhere, they say that white color reflects light/heat and black color absorbs the heat instead of reflecting it those making it hotter.

And the reason I got white jackets is because I almost hit a biker one time while it's dark out, he was wearing all black and I didn't see him stopped waiting for the light. I have perfect vision, and I didn't see him... And I'm also a bike so I always watch out for other bikers out there, but I just damn didn't see that guy. wearing all black almost killed him...

Last futzed with by kaiserz; September 16th, 2011 at 01:41 PM.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Heed

the gear i'm planning to buy

i think the helmet and boots are good visibility.

the jacket only comes in black

the pants come in black, blue, white, and red i think. but they only have black available.

thinking of getting a white or red ninjette if possible. MS paint ftw..

Old September 16th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #4
kaiserz

I would say wait a lil bit for the vortex helmet(because the new graphics just came out, meaning there's a big chance that the old ones will go on sale.), and make sure you try one first(cause it's narrow-neutral head shape helmet, and most people are round-neutral shape).

For the Jacket I would say, you can get a way more better jacket for $180 (I sold my alpinestars leather jacket that i didn't really use for a $100 still smells brand new, I would suggest that you hit your local craigslist to get a good deal on jackets,[jackets are the only piece of equipment that I will buy used.])
or you can look at this stuff.
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=5411

http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpi...air-flo-jacket

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...tornado-jacket

And make sure you throw in a pair of gloves on your purchase, cause guess what? there's a 90% chance that your hands will catch your fall when you go down.

Best $98.99 that I spent in my life. saved my hands once. Imagine a 185 lbs guy being thrown up in the air and landing on his hands(natural instincts when you fall are to throw your hands out). If I didn't had this on I would say that my hands would be messed up now(have you ever heard of the biker's arm? http://www.lewisandtompkins.com/libr...-md-and-dc.cfm ). And I wouldn't be able to do shiit with it anymore.
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=7705 The Knox Scaphoid protector saved my hands.

Old September 16th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #5
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
Basically make an attention whore out of myself :P
Hey, if you're on a motorcycle, you're already screaming "Look at me!" When you get your bike you'll have to get used to people looking at you while you're riding, at a stop or parked somewhere.

Hopefully, you don't get those "uncomfortable stares". Those give me the willies.

I recommend going for as much white gear as often as you can. And if it has any reflective qualities even better.

I have a red and black Scorpion Stinger jacket for cooler weather riding.

And a Scorpion Urban Destroyer mesh jacket in white/red/black for summer.

I'd like to get this Icon jacket eventually...

But, waiting for the price to drop.

I know, what I do own does not have much white... what's weird is I've found quite a bit of white gear for women, but not for men.

And if you get white gear it will match with any color bike you get.
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #6
lv250
ninjette.org member

Name: CJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2009 CRF230L, 1998 Honda VT1100c, 1974 Honda XL100, 07 Yamaha Wolverine 350, 06 ArticCat 250

Color

I wear blue and grays mostly

My Icon leather perforated jacket is blue
My Fly racing mesh jacket is bright blue
My Cortech Python is Black, blue, gray python skin
My TourMaster jacket is Gray

All are reflective piping

My Pants are black, wanted a blue and white color with black accent but price was high.

My Helmets are blue and titanium colors.

I am getting a hi-viz helmet yellow or Orange. I am also looking at hi-viz leather jacket.

All my gloves are blue I have a red pair mainly for when i ride my CRF.
lv250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #7
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

black and white helmet (mainly white), white and white jacked (mainly white) blue jeans, black gloves (getting white) and black and white halfboots (mainly white again).

mostly got it because florida is extremely hot. Darker objects heat up more and quicker. The lighter, the better. Plus, I want to be visible. Im up and out at night mostly, especially going to work, and I need to be seen. Black in the dark is really hard to see. My gear matching my bike is just a plus. white matches with anything though lol.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #8
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Go with white or bright colors as a main theme, particularly with your helmet.

When choosing gear color, I recommend reading a very good 2003 study by a group of public health researchers from Auckland and Sydney Universities on the impact of gear color on safety. You can find a copy of the study in PDF format on page two of my blog. The study investigated whether the risk of motorcycle crash related injuries is associated with how conspicuous the rider's gear was. It reviewed approximately 500 riders involved in crashes, compared with a control group of about 1250. The study found that:

•Crash related injuries occurred mainly in urban zones with 50 km/h speed limit (66%), during the day (63%), and in fine weather (72%).
•Drivers wearing any reflective or fluorescent clothing had a 37% lower risk than other drivers.
•Compared with wearing a black helmet, use of a white helmet was associated with a 24% lower risk.
•Light coloured helmet versus dark coloured helmet was associated with a 19% lower risk.
•Three quarters of motorcycle riders had their headlight turned on during the day, and this was associated with a 27% lower risk.
•No association occurred between risk and the frontal colour of drivers' clothing or motorcycle.
•If these odds ratios are unconfounded, the population attributable risks are 33% for wearing no reflective or fluorescent clothing, 18% for a non-white helmet, 11% for a dark coloured helmet, and 7% for no daytime headlight operation.

So, increasing the use of reflective or fluorescent clothing and white or light coloured helmets, is a simple, cheap intervention that could considerably reduce motorcycle crash related injury and death. We all have running lights already - no reason not to use bright clothing and helmets as well.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #9
Heed

^^^ exactly what i was looking for, will read later.

Old September 19th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #10
smiley424

Don't know what material you are going for in a jacket, but if you are looking for a textile/mesh jacket, I recommend the Speed & Strength Moment of Truth

MotorcycleGear.com Speed & Strength Mesh

I have mesh in silver, it flows alot of air. Comes in both Mesh and Textile versions. MotorcycleGear.com has both on closeout. Alot of adjustability in the jacket to keep everything snug. Zipper attachment for pants as well as button loops so you can attach the jacket to belt loops on pants. I use them with my Icon Arc Mesh pants, work out pretty good.

Old September 19th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #11
kaiserz

I have a mesh, shift jacket and I've only used it like 3 times, with about 30miles on it, I just can't see myself wearing mesh when I go down.

I'm a crazy dude (I wear my white leather even though it's like 100 outside.)

Old September 19th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #12
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Pretty much what I did, which is why I eventually got a tail bag (among other reasons). Wearing a backpack did not allow for the perforations on the front to do ANYTHING so when I got to work my whole back would be soaked.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #13
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

I ride naked for visibility reasons.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
I ride naked for visibility reasons.
Causing the general public to shut their eyes in abject fear may have a negative effect on visibility.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #15
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Causing the general public to shut their eyes in abject fear may have a negative effect on visibility.
Touche.

Perhaps I should rethink my being visible strategy
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #16
ninjaprof
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300SE

colors

Red bike, black Sidi boots, black armored pants, black and white Joe Rocket jacket, Black and white helmet (Scorpion "Hollywood")
ninjaprof is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #17
robmilchling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Triumph Daytona 675

Green bike, black pants, black boots, black jacket, and either a pattern green helmet or an all white helmet.

During the day I feel better in the all white Icon helmet, I've been told its very visible and is one of the first things people notice. At night I like my green Gmax helmet. I commute to class, and on my way back its rather late on I95, but is still very hectic through the city so I just feel much better with the light strip that is on the back of that helmet.

I do plan on putting some reflective tape on my backpack sometime soon.
robmilchling is offline   Reply With Quote