ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old February 19th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #1
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

Troubleshooting Battery/Alternator Help

So after sitting for a few days, my bike won't start and I'm pretty sure it's just a dead battery. I read the Ninja Wiki page and it provides a checklist for voltages. Just for the sake of peace of mind, I went ahead and checked all of them before buying a new battery:

Sitting Voltage: 12.2V min, 12.6-12.8V ideal -- Mine: 12.1V
Voltage when cranking: 10V -- Mine: 6.4V
Idle Voltage should equal same as sitting voltage -- Mine: 14.1V
4k RPM Voltage: 13.5-13.8V -- Mine: 13.5V

It also asks to check 10-15 mile off-voltage and voltage after a couple days of sitting: 12.8V and 12.6V respectively.

My question is why my idle voltage is so much higher than the sitting voltage (when bike is completely off). Is this not normal, and if so, would that mean my regulator is malfunctioning?

On a side note, my idle voltage is 14.1V and when I rev, the voltage drops. I thought the alternator produces more power at higher RPMs which is somewhat counterintuitive as to why my voltage drops when revving. In the ideal case, idle should be ~12.7V and 4k-9k RPM should be 13.5-13.8V, according to the wiki. This means that voltage should increase as RPM's increase. Why is mine backwards?
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #2
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh2 View Post
Idle Voltage should equal same as sitting voltage -- Mine: 14.1V

Why is mine backward?
I was thinking it was a bad battery too, until I read this. This is where it gets above my pay-grade. Tagging along for the answer.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #3
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Here is answer. Some of the info in the wiki comes from http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_...attery_is_dead

According to the service manual for both generation Ninjas, normal charging voltage, the readings should show nearly battery voltage when the engine speed is low, and, as the engine speed rises, the readings should also rise. But they must be kept under the specified voltage, which is 14-15 volts.
Confusing right? I think the manual means it must be kept under the high end of voltage.

If the charging voltage is kept between the values given in the table, the charging system is considered to be working normally. If the charging voltage is much higher than the values specified in the table, the regulator/rectifier is defective or the regulator/rectifier leads are loose or open. If the charging voltage does not rise as the engine speed increases, then the regulator/rectifier is defective or the alternator output is insufficient for the loads. Check the alternator and regulator/rectifier to determine which part is defective. Also the SM recommends testing with the headlights on and disconnecting the headlight as well.

I guess depending on which kind of volt meter you use, digital or analog (which should calibrated from time to time) and rpm speed tested at, it could have some slightly different readings. Also you'll notice keywords like 'fine', 'OK" and 'normally'. I would say that if you are some where in the ballpark as far as voltage, your bulbs are not blown and your battery is being charged and the bike is otherwise working flawlessly, you are probably good to go.

I guess to prevent confusion, the wiki should reflect more updated and service manual concise info. will make the change.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Electrical system.pdf (93.4 KB, 21 views)
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote