ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old October 4th, 2011, 06:46 AM   #1
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Bigger Battery?

I have recently come across an issue finding a battery. I found one now but the boyfriend posed a question about possibly using a bigger voltage battery. Our battery is 7L-BS he was thinking going 9L-BS if it would fit in the battery compartment.

I was just curious if anyone has done this or is it even a good idea? I am a bit leary about it because its not what belongs on my bike but if its not going to hurt anything, and the battery fits, then I have no problem going to a bigger battery.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Old October 4th, 2011, 06:55 AM   #2
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

The tendency has been for the newer batteries to have larger capacity for the same physical size so provided it fits in the space foreseen there is no problem if its ampere hours are greater than the original.

Steve

Old October 4th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #3
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
The tendency has been for the newer batteries to have larger capacity for the same physical size so provided it fits in the space foreseen there is no problem if its ampere hours are greater than the original.

Steve
+1

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

If it fits in the battery tray and is held securely, it will work fine.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 + many others!

It's always handy to have extra cranking amps !! Just check the one you're supplied with has the correct code, or the terminals may be 'the wrong way' round!
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #6
crazyjayp
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja ex250

Im having the same issue. Autozone doesn't have them, advanced has them, but none in my town...so I wont get it till friday...

And its supposed to be nice all week...
crazyjayp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #7
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Name: darius

Motorcycle(s): 2000 250 sold; 2005 636 sold. BIKELESS IN ATLANTA

It took me forever to find my battery (walmart, autozone, advance auto, oreilly's, dearlership, etc), but I finally found it at CycleGear. It was in stock, and they even added the acid while I was shopping.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #8
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

This is the dimension of the YTX7L-BS (Dimensions: 4.5" L x 2.8125" W x 5.1875" H ) Stock 1995-2007 -EX250

YB9L-A2-Dimensions: 5.3125" x 3" x 5.5"
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #9
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Anyone tried Batteries Plus? I heard their premium motorcycle batteries are made by Yuasa!

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product...to-2007/1.aspx

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #10
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
Anyone tried Batteries Plus? I heard their premium motorcycle batteries are made by Yuasa!

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product...to-2007/1.aspx
I thought they were a little overpriced, but that's just me. I do know that the CG megaboost offer a lifetime warranty. The dimensions provided by DaBlue1 shows that the 9 is bigger, but I think it would still fit. Unfortunately, I'm not at home to look under the seat. I would advise you to take the bike if possible so that you can be sure that everything fits properly. As mentioned before, the 9 would be better.

Old October 5th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #11
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

I was just reading about batteries last nite, and according to ninja250.org, they changed the battery size back in the late 80's, so the newer battery was smaller. They added the rubber sleeve to the newer ones to secure it in the space that was originally designed to hold the larger, older battery. I'd recommend checking there for details, as I don't recall all of them, but that was one point that stuck out. So if the battery is physically larger, as long as it fits the compartment, you should be good.
Posted via Mobile Device
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #12
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

If you just got a new battery, again for the umpteenth time, if it's an AGM or VRLA "sealed" battery, like most of them are now for motorcycles, make sure you put it on a charger and charge it up fully before first use, or it will never hold a full charge to it's capacity. Straight from Yuasa and the instructions that come with all of these. Do not rely on the salesman's advice to just put it on the bike and it's good to go. You will be back in the store replacing it after a few starts of your bike and you will not be happy.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #13
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

From my understanding the ones where you have to fill them first require continued maintenance.

I, am lazy... I picked up one of the fill batteries and while I was excited to get a battery I am taking it back because I would rather have a sealed no maintenance battery...

Just something to consider.

Old October 5th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyke View Post
From my understanding the ones where you have to fill them first require continued maintenance.

I, am lazy... I picked up one of the fill batteries and while I was excited to get a battery I am taking it back because I would rather have a sealed no maintenance battery...
Not necesssarily. Even the permanent fill / no maintenance type come with the acid shipped separately. You install the acid, seal the battery, charge it, and it's good to go.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #15
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Not exactly what you're looking for but my next battery will be one of these small compact type from Ballistic Performance. Ninjette Review
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2011, 04:49 AM   #16
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Not exactly what you're looking for but my next battery will be one of these small compact type from Ballistic Performance. Ninjette Review
I found out about these AFTER I replaced my battery last year. There was a youtube video about these. I believe one of them showed how strong it was by disconnecting something and continuously trying to start the bike (to run the battery down). After a few tries, they connected everything, and it started right up.

Old October 11th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #17
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I got a basic 12V powersport battery from autozone when mine bit the dust this summer. It's the exact dimensions width and depth-wise, but it's about 2/3 the height. I had to put some foam blocks beneath it in the battery box so it was held secure by the strap. Works fine for me.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #18
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Battery is probably the single item on a motorcycle that have the most weight for its size. It would be logical to want to have a smaller battery that weigh less that OEM, if you want to increase thepower to weight ratio and improve fuel efficiency.

For a few years now, I've seen
Ballistic batteries usd by track riders to reduce the weight of their track bikes.

Battery technology have changed a bit, but if your bike is exposed to extrem tempartures from day to night, it would require maintenance regarles of type of battery.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2011, 06:05 AM   #19
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I got a basic 12V powersport battery from autozone when mine bit the dust this summer. It's the exact dimensions width and depth-wise, but it's about 2/3 the height. I had to put some foam blocks beneath it in the battery box so it was held secure by the strap. Works fine for me.
Do you recall the price? How is it holding up? Do you use the optional charger?

Old October 12th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #20
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I think it was about $50, which I was happy about, since I could only find ones online for around $100. It works great so far. I haven't had any issues with it not having enough juice to crank over. I have a battery tender Jr that I use, and that seems to do the trick to keep it charged and ready to go.

Old October 13th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #21
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Is the battery tender theirs or a regular one? thx.

Old October 13th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #22
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The Batter Tender was something that I bought on my own. It only cost me $25 dollars and it's a good way to insure I don't ruin my battery when I leave the bike for the winter.