ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old December 4th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #1
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Moisture in headlight...car

This question has to do with my car but I guess could happen to a bike. I have an aftermarket headlight kit and have moisture in one of them. I'm guessing I broke the seal somehow. Does anyone here know with their infinite knowledge know how I can remove this moisture and re-seal my headlights? Just as a side note...on my Iphone right now and the mobile site for this forum rocks! Guess I'll me checking every 5 min for new posts 24/7 now
Posted via Mobile Device
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Can't help you with the headlight, unfortunately, but happy to hear that the mobile version of the site is working well. Not sure how many folks are using it, so if you have any feedback post up in this thread. I don't have an iPhone (or any other smartphone with a large enough screen to be useful) so I can't really test it myself.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #3
kkim

what kind of car headlight?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #4
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

It's a projector system for my 99 civic. The lights still work fine but the lens has a good amount of condensatioon on the inside
Posted via Mobile Device

Old December 4th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #5
kkim

I had a 96 civic that would constantly fog after a hard rain. It sounds like the seal between the clear portion and the gray back portion has a leak along the seam somewhere. The OEM headlights were bad in this respect, some aftermarkets were even worse.

You could try running some silicone seal along the edges of the seam around the entire light and see if that helps.

Another way would be to separate the front and back pieces by putting the unit in a low temp oven for a bit then prying the pieces apart, cleaning out the inside, then resealing the front and back with silicone seal.

Try checking some Honda forums as this is a common thing in that generation civics.

Old December 4th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #6
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Yea guess I'll do that haha... But when you say low oven temp what temp would you suggest and what would I need to remove from the unit so stuff doesn't get damaged? Any idea?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old December 4th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #7
kkim

double check on a civic forum, but I remember something like 200* for no more than something like 10 minutes... maybe even less. As I said, find a DIY by someone that has done this before you try it.

Old December 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #8
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Haha alright... I could understand why you wouldn't want melted headlight housing on your hands I'm out to find a civic forum thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old December 8th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #9
Kolya1981
Generic User Title

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Green 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, Slate 2009 Triumph StreetTriple R

This is actually a fairly common problem that can happen to all headlights including stock headlights.

There are two ways to pull the moisture out of your headlights, this first one not for the faint of heart:

1.) Place a damp piece of cardboard on an oven safe plate (ceramic, etc.) and place your headlight housing on top of the cardboard and into the oven. Make sure the housing is not near the elements, and is not touching any part of the oven.

2.) Turn the oven on 250 degrees for 10 minutes. Keep a close eye on it, do not leave the room.

3.) Carefully remove the headlight, it will be very hot...the factory sealant will be softened. I recommend wearing pot holder gloves.

4.) While still hot, press and hold the lens hard onto the housing to re-seat it as it cools.

5.) After it is cooled, you want to use a light bead of High Grade Clear Silicon sealant available in the bathroom section of any hardware store. Don't get the cheap stuff...it will peal. And make a thin light bead around the headlight right where the lens meets the housing.

6.) Allow to dry completely before installing, following the sealants curing instructions. Most cure in 24 hours.

The other method, if you are not comfortable with putting your headlights in an oven, is:

1.) Remove your headlights and place the housings out in the sun on a warm dry day. This will remove the condensation and moisture.

2.) Once the moisture is gone, you want to use a good bead of High Grade Clear Silicon sealant available in the bathroom section of any hardware store. Don't get the cheap stuff...it will peal. You will need to make the bead around the headlight right where the lens meets the housing seals well since this method you are not recurring the factory seal.

Hope this guide helps. Oh, and for legal purposes, use this guide at your own risk! I am not responsible for any damage to your headlights, fires, burns, etc.!!!